League One, League Two and The Championship

Remove this Banner Ad

Commiserations Robbo - it’s really disappointing that things are no longer in your own hands, and that you’re relying on others to slip up. I still think that this weekend’s game against Pompey is huge for you though, because if you lose that then it’s pretty much guaranteed that you’ll be in the nerve wracking play-offs. How do you feel about your form line, relative to your likely play-off rivals? It seems that your recent results are a bit more patchy than some of the sides around you on the table.
The reality is that we’ve been difficult to beat this season. 3 games to go and we’ve only lost three in the league.

I think the appearance of patchiness relates to how many draws we’ve played this season. 18 in total. More than any other team by a long way.

It’s the business end of the season and it’s unfortunate that of all the rivals for the automatic promotion spot we’ve got the toughest draw. This is why dropping points against lesser teams is biting us on the backside.

Winning our last three is a must. Prefer to go into the play offs finishing as high as possible on the table.

However promotion, for me, is not the definition of success for this season. So many positives as a result of changing owners and manager. The club is back on track which means the community will be a happier place as a result.

Being the hardest team to beat in League 1 will count for nowt as Sunderland head to the play-offs. It’s almost certain that Luton and Barnsley will finish 1/2 and Sunderland will be joined in the play-offs by Portsmouth, Charlton and Doncaster.

For about 15 minutes last night the fairytale finish was on as both Sunderland and Blackpool (against Barnsley) took the lead with early goals. Alas it didn’t pan out that way with Portsmouth matching Sunderland’s early goal which was soon followed by a Barnsley goal.

At half time there was still a glimmer which was snuffed out when Barnsley scored again. Robbo had had an exhausting day and turned in for the night.

Sunderland drew 1-1. It sounds like we were the dominant team but they don’t award the 3 points for that. So it’s the play-offs or bust for the Lads.
D8187DC5-B27A-4118-AFEF-78E4E39FCB8B.jpeg

The Championship has floored Bolton Wanderers.

‘Bolton's game against Brentford on Saturday has been called off by the English Football League after Bolton's players said they would not play until they receive the wages they are owed.’

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48067603

The quick fix can be hazardous. I’ve been on about this for years. English football is dominated by the big clubs who have lots of supporters, cashed up companies fighting over sponsorship and owners who normally have a penny or two.

What do clubs like Bolton Wanderers have when compared to Manchester United or any other of the big teams?

Not much in comparison. A lot of it is borrowed money. Player Managers and players swoop for money not commensurate with the talent on offer. Players don’t perform but stamp their feet and say I’ve got a contract. It’s all a bit sad for the supporter watching from the sidelines who was filled with hope at the start of the season but now faces the prospect of a team playing in League One (unless they fold in the meantime).

Sunderland is fortunate that it has largely got off this merry go round as a result of falling into League One however we’ve easily got the largest wages bills as contracts run through their time. Without singling players out Oviedo and Cattermole are still enjoying the fruits of contracts signed when Sunderland were in the EPL. I respect that each has performed to the best of their abilities this season but they are probably earning 10 times or more than you’re good League One player.

The solution?

Teams need to reintroduce the ideas of prudence and patience when dealing with club stakeholders, supporters, player managers and players. I’m certain a decent living wage can be garnered for the players with this approach. The supporters need to lower their expectations and be thankful that they have a team to support every season even if that means a team playing in the lower levels. After all it’s not all about the city and the community thinking they can match it with the big teams of London, Liverpool and Manchester.

Looks like you’re almost certainly play-off bound Robbo, and if so am I correct in saying that first up you’ll most likely tackle in-form Charlton home and away? With your penchant for draws, if you’re to eventually win your way through to the Championship, you wouldn’t want to bet against a dreaded penalty shootout at some point in the proceedings. Nerve wracking but exciting days ahead - good luck!

WE ARE GOING UP SAY WE ARE GOING UP!!!!

Back to back promotions. Great effort guys. Now to beat Oxford on Saturday and finish champions.
Surprised and delighted both Portsmouth and Sunderland lost this morning. Did not see that coming. We should now put a keg on for both the Cod Army and Posh.

#COYH

WE ARE GOING UP SAY WE ARE GOING UP!!!!

Back to back promotions. Great effort guys. Now to beat Oxford on Saturday and finish champions.
Surprised and delighted both Portsmouth and Sunderland lost this morning. Did not see that coming. We should now put a keg on for both the Cod Army and Posh.

#COYH
I’m glad you have joined the thread. I must say you’re late to the party. I could have done with some help during the season.

I’ve been doing some casual work on the Federal Election and didn’t realise that there were games on this morning.

Well thepacingman has taken all of the suspense out of my match report.

Sunderland lost 2-1 to Fleetwood Town. Dominated the first 45 and led at half time. Went to sleep in the second half and conceded two goals. The winner was scored in the dying seconds of the match.

Still a possibility of finishing third if Portsmouth slip up. Doncaster Rovers and Peterborough United are vying for sixth and the last play off spot.
974C2C04-EC5F-456A-AF39-2EA1C06E8F71.jpeg

I’m glad you have joined the thread. I must say you’re late to the party. I could have done with some help during the season.
Sorry mate. I only recently came across this thread. Too many draws is what cost you guys. What I will do now I know is hopefully, check your Championship thread from the start next season. Good luck in the playoffs. Just thankful Luton dodged them. We've been in five playoffs over the years and have never been promoted through them..

Sorry mate. I only recently came across this thread. Too many draws is what cost you guys. What I will do now I know is hopefully, check your Championship thread from the start next season. Good luck in the playoffs. Just thankful Luton dodged them. We've been in five playoffs over the years and have never been promoted through them..
All good. If Sunderland don’t get promoted I’ll change the title to include The Championship.

So, play-offs it is Robbo, after losing to Joey Barton’s mob in the 95th minute - salt in the wound, no doubt. Am I right in saying that there’s nothing really to play for in the final game of the regular season, unless a fourth or fifth position alters the home and away order of the first play-off tie, and you deem that significant? My biggest worry for your boys going into the play-offs is obviously your form line, especially relative to Charlton’s, who I understand are managed by another ex-Mag (Lee Bowyer). Hopefully your manager and players can inject some life into the cliche that the play-offs represent the start of a whole new season. As always, good luck.

Last edited:
Will be a hard days work at Roots Hall as Southend are in the thick of the relegation battle, so they will be scrapping for their lives.
Late kickoff as all games start Saturday 17:30 UK time.

Charlton the team to avoid as the form team going into the playoffs. They made short work of us not so long ago. Better to finish 3rd or 4th as those teams are at home in the second leg.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, play-offs it is Robbo, after losing to Joey Barton’s mob in the 95th minute - salt in the wound, no doubt. Am I right in saying that there’s nothing really to play for in the final game of the regular season, unless a fourth or fifth position alters the home and away order of the first play-off tie, and you deem that significant? My biggest worry for your boys going into the play-offs is obviously your form line, especially relative to Charlton’s, who I understand are managed by another ex-Mag (Lee Bowyer). Hopefully your manager and players can inject some life into the cliche that the play-offs represent the start of a whole new season. As always, good luck.
We want to win. If Portsmouth lose or draw we go above them. I think winning gives you the advantage of 4th and 5th.

As I said before Sunderland has completely turned itself around and this year is a success no matter what happens.

The form line is a worry but what can you do?

Lee Bowyer. When we were in London I refused to go and see Charlton because he was manager. Ordinary past I believe.

We want to win. If Portsmouth lose or draw we go above them. I think winning gives you the advantage of 4th and 5th.

As I said before Sunderland has completely turned itself around and this year is a success no matter what happens.

The form line is a worry but what can you do?

Lee Bowyer. When we were in London I refused to go and see Charlton because he was manager. Ordinary past I believe.
Ah, I was so preoccupied with the automatic promotion spots Robbo that I actually didn’t notice that you’re still a chance to overtake Pompey and claim third spot. Even if Pompey stop that from happening, it would be nice to go into the play-offs with a good win under your belts.

Re Bowyer, yes he certainly has a chequered past, with multiple racist and violent incidents over the journey. Of course, as a Toon supporter I will never forget this shameful and infamous incident from 2005, where he instigated a full blown, on-field fist fight with a teammate (Kieron Dyer) - a complete and utter disgrace:

1556756079016.jpeg

Ah, I was so preoccupied with the automatic promotion spots Robbo that I actually didn’t notice that you’re still a chance to overtake Pompey and claim third spot. Even if Pompey stop that from happening, it would be nice to go into the play-offs with a good win under your belts.

Re Bowyer, yes he certainly has a chequered past, with multiple racist and violent incidents over the journey. Of course, as a Toon supporter I will never forget this shameful and infamous incident from 2005, where he instigated a full blown, on-field fist fight with a teammate (Kieron Dyer) - a complete and utter disgrace:

View attachment 665951
He was at Leeds with Viduka and Kewell when he got into trouble. Obviously had a short fuse. Like The Fleetwood Town manager who thumped another manager recently.

George Moncur. The guy gets a championship medal whatever happens on Saturday. Played 21 games for Barnsley then transferred to Luton in January and has played 13 games. Guess he gets to go to both promotion parties.

George Moncur. The guy gets a championship medal whatever happens on Saturday. Played 21 games for Barnsley then transferred to Luton in January and has played 13 games. Guess he gets to go to both promotion parties.
I’m sure Moncur would concur.:moustache:

He was at Leeds with Viduka and Kewell when he got into trouble. Obviously had a short fuse. Like The Fleetwood Town manager who thumped another manager recently.

“Allegedly” Robbo ... but I know whose version of events my money would be on, and it’s not Wor Joey’s!

The team was bussed to Southend for the final game of the season. The venue Roots Hall. The opponents Southend United aka the Shrimps. Both teams had plenty to play for as Sunderland aimed for a win and 3rd place and the Shrimps needed a win to avoid relegation.

The day went belly up early and the Lads continued to struggle going in at half time trailing 1-0. A second half penalty provided hope of a win before the inevitable late winner condemned Sunderland to its lowest finish ever. The Shrimps escaped relegation and will play in League 1 next season.

Charlton Athletic finished 3rd on goal difference with a 4-0 victory. Luton won the league. Barnsley booked it’s spot in the Championship with automatic promotion. Portsmouth drew and cost itself 3rd spot in the league. Doncaster Rovers held onto 6th.

Play offs at 10 paces.

Charlton v Doncaster.
Portsmouth v Sunderland.

There’s plenty happening at Sunderland however it’s not happening on the pitch. The team is in a slump at the wrong time and the pressure of expectation has eaten into the players confidence. The outside noise has reached the decibel levels of a F1 racing car. The negative fans and press have seized the microphone and slaughter anything within reach. It’s a bit like the autopsy thread after a Carlton loss.

Anyway, haway the Lads. You’ve had a fantastic season and I’m happy that you’ve turned the club from a rabble into something worthwhile again. 3C1EEBE0-1023-469C-9737-FF3F72D0E467.jpeg

The team was bussed to Southend for the final game of the season. The venue Roots Hall. The opponents Southend United aka the Shrimps. Both teams had plenty to play for as Sunderland aimed for a win and 3rd place and the Shrimps needed a win to avoid relegation.

The day went belly up early and the Lads continued to struggle going in at half time trailing 1-0. A second half penalty provided hope of a win before the inevitable late winner condemned Sunderland to its lowest finish ever. The Shrimps escaped relegation and will play in League 1 next season.

Charlton Athletic finished 3rd on goal difference with a 4-0 victory. Luton won the league. Barnsley booked it’s spot in the Championship with automatic promotion. Portsmouth drew and cost itself 3rd spot in the league. Doncaster Rovers held onto 6th.

Play offs at 10 paces.

Charlton v Doncaster.
Portsmouth v Sunderland.

There’s plenty happening at Sunderland however it’s not happening on the pitch. The team is in a slump at the wrong time and the pressure of expectation has eaten into the players confidence. The outside noise has reached the decibel levels of a F1 racing car. The negative fans and press have seized the microphone and slaughter anything within reach. It’s a bit like the autopsy thread after a Carlton loss.

Anyway, haway the Lads. You’ve had a fantastic season and I’m happy that you’ve turned the club from a rabble into something worthwhile again.
Was always going to be a difficult afternoon so don't write yourselves off yet. The playoffs often have upset results. A pro that you avoid Charlton, a con that the first leg is at Sunderland. Think Sunderland and Pompey is 50/50. But whoever gets through needs to hope like hell Doncaster produce one of those upsets.

The first playoff game for Sunderland starts at 4.45am. I’d prefer a traditional kick off time which means midnight here.

Sunderland need a result (as do Portsmouth). The season has gone a little pear shaped in the past month. Hopefully we can turn it around tomorrow morning. Haway the Lads.

I recorded the game. I jumped out of bed around 8.00am (well it was more of a roll).

The local fans voted with their feet about the poor end to the season and stayed away. So fickle. Last time these two teams met at SOL (recently) over 40,000 attended. Today it was just over 26,000.

Sunderland’s playmaker and goal scorer Aidan McGeady was named in the starting line-up. He has a fracture in his foot and it flared up in the pre-game session. He dropped out and Gooch came in. Not a great start.

The first half of football was bog ordinary. Neither team looked like scoring. 0-0 at half time.

The second half provided all the highlights.

1. Honeyman’s close range header saved by the keeper’s face.

2. Maguire came on for Morgan around the hour and then buried one a few minutes later. Long live the King.

3. A couple of minutes later Ozturk is red carded and the Lads are reduced to 10 men. Crazy decision by the ref and it was just a continuation of the rubbish that Carlton copped yesterday. If that was a goal scoring opportunity then I’ll eat my hat!

The remaining half hour was nerve wracking. The King almost scored again but his shot deflected off the upright. Old Pompey’s best chance came from the free kick that led to Ozturk being sent off. It rattled the woodwork but it bounced harmlessly away. Robbo’s roar followed by derision could be hear across the creek.

Sunderland held on for a 1-0 win and head to Portsmouth on Thursday. Still in with a chance of making it to Wembley.

At this stage of the season, doesn't matter whether the game is any good or not. The result is all that matters. Two very nervous teams first half unwilling to take a risk. Don't blame them either, worst thing would be to concede early and be on the back foot. Would take that result after playing the last half hour with ten men. How's your depth having to cover for the suspended player? But I reckon Sunderland have to score and not just park the bus. Pompey have been scoring plenty at home. Only against Barnsley have they not scored at home since around New Year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back