League One, League Two and The Championship

Remove this Banner Ad

Wycombe Wanderers went the bash and nearly succeeded. The Lads grabbed a late equaliser to draw 1-1.

It appears that there was a bench clearing fracas which saw a player from each side red carded. The Sunderland player was already on the bench!

Anyway I think it’s Barnsley this week so it’s a big one.
98C32FBE-17C2-44B7-BD7E-F78F66B19380.jpeg

Top of the table clash with Barnsley ended in a 0-0 draw. The conditions were challenging and this effected the game. This was the first game this season where Sunderland failed to score.
563AD72C-24F3-483A-B53B-17AEB7E93531.jpeg

Sunderland had a 2-1 win at home against Walsall. The Saddlers struck first however there’s a collective steel in this Black Cat squad which has seen it bounce back time and time again.

Cattermole and Grigg scored the goals and gave the Lads a vital 3 points. Barnsley drew at Doncaster making the fight for automatic promotion as tight as a fishes bum hole. 6B499F10-EBD6-4837-A26F-5D831DEBDD77.jpeg

You’ve got to feel for players who suffer multiple injuries. Watmore and Docherty are brothers in arms. Two serious knee injuries and now Dunc has copped a season ending ankle injury as a result of a cynical tackle.

‘It’s sad to see such a fantastic person and player suffer so many setbacks, and the way his day ended at Wycombe perhaps best summarises the good and bad of football. Having scored the equaliser for his side in the most dramatic of fashions, he was cruelly robbed of the rest of his season by a horrendous challenge from a fellow professional who really ought to have known better’.

https://rokerreport.sbnation.com/20...-say-we-wish-duncan-watmore-a-speedy-recovery

No game for Sunderland this weekend. Next weekend we’re off to Wembley to play Portsmouth for a Cup so #wewontbehomefortea.:p

Our next League game is 4/4.

Luton Town, Barnsley and Portsmouth all won and have now played two extra games. It looks like Luton Town is a certainty for promotion to the championship. Second spot and automatic promotion is still open to a challenge by the Black Cats. 5 points behind Barnsley with two games in hand. Barnsley just overcame Walsall last night with the winning goal scored at 90+2. Lucky buggers.

If Sunderland fail to gain automatic promotion the third spot is won through a play off system between teams finishing from 3-6. The good outcome if you get through the home and away leg is that the playoff decider means another trip to Wembley and we can resurrect we’re off to Wembley and #wewontbehomefortea.

It’s not often that your team gets to play at Wembley in a cup final.

Last night, in the darkness of my bedroom, I read the blog of the game. It was the final of the Checkatrade Cup between the Lads, Sunderland and Old Pompey, Portsmouth.

I joined the action in the second half. It was a 2.30pm GMT kickoff which meant 12.30am our time. This completely flew over my head due to our ******* penchant to mess with time and the law of nature! Rant over.

Sunderland had dominated the opening 45 and Aiden McGeady, the Irish Imp, had scored a ripper from a free kick outside the box.

When I joined the action the tables had turned and Portsmouth were piling on the pressure. Sunderland clung to its narrow lead until the 82nd minute when Nathan Thompson thundered home a header. Time for Old Pompey to lose their s**t. Time for me to contemplate extra time.

1-1 at end of normal time.

Extra time always reminds me of a prize fight. Two opponents occasionally jabbing at each other knowing that defence is the key. A mistake could see you flat out on the deck.

First 15 and it’s still 1-1. 105 minutes of official football played.

Second 15 and the blog lights up with GOAL! Jamal Lowe has put Old Pompey in front for the first time. He’s chipped the GK in the 114th minute. An audible “s**t” is uttered in Sunbury. It’s over or is it?

119 minutes in and the blog lights up with GOAL and GET IN!!!! I think Sunderland has scored but I’m not sure. The Irish Leprechaun has struck again. I can feel the pandemonium of 40,000 Sunderland supporters. Then the dread. * I hate penalty shoot outs to decide a game. Can’t we come back next week.

2-2 at end of extra time.

I’ll cut to the chase. Portsmouth win 5-4 on penalties. Lee Barry Cattermole, Sunderland stalwart, has his spot kick saved.

The Checkatrade Cup and the AFLW Cup have escaped my teams on the same day. I’m feeling sad as I contemplate a restless night’s sleep.

Just over 85,000 attended the final. A record for the EFL. I admire the cities and towns of the UK. The passion for their team is amazing.

I was in England in September last year. My wife and I traveled to Portsmouth for a day trip. She was interested in naval history and I was interested in a game of football at Fratton Park. I witnessed their passion for their team first hand. While I’m disappointed that my team didn’t win I can see the faces of Portsmouth supporters who will be jumping for joy. Good luck to them.

Last edited:
It’s not often that your team gets to play at Wembley in a cup final.

Last night, in the darkness of my bedroom, I read the blog of the game. It was the final of the Checkatrade Cup between the Lads, Sunderland and Old Pompey, Portsmouth.

I joined the action in the second half. It was a 2.30pm GMT kickoff which meant 12.30am our time. This completely flew over my head due to our ******* penchant to mess with time and the law of nature! Rant over.

Sunderland had dominated the opening 45 and Aiden McGeady, the Irish Imp, had scored a ripper from a free kick outside the box.

When I joined the action the tables had turned and Portsmouth were piling on the pressure. Sunderland clung to its narrow lead until the 82nd minute when Nathan Thompson thundered home a header. Time for Old Pompey to lose their s**t. Time for me to contemplate extra time.

1-1 at end of normal time.

Extra time always reminds me of a prize fight. Two opponents occasionally jabbing at each other knowing that defence is the key. A mistake could see you flat out on the deck.

First 15 and it’s still 1-1. 105 minutes of official football played.

Second 15 and the blog lights up with GOAL! Jamal Lowe has put Old Pompey in front for the first time. He’s chipped the GK in the 114th minute. An audible “s**t” is uttered in Sunbury. It’s over or is it?

119 minutes in and the blog lights up with GOAL and GET IN!!!! I think Sunderland has scored but I’m not sure. The Irish Leprechaun has struck again. I can feel the pandemonium of 40,000 Sunderland supporters. Then the dread. **** I hate penalty shoot outs to decide a game. Can’t we come back next week.

2-2 at end of extra time.

I’ll cut to the chase. Portsmouth win 5-4 on penalties. Lee Barry Cattermole, Sunderland stalwart, has his spot kick saved.

The Checkatrade Cup and the AFLW Cup have escaped my teams on the same day. I’m feeling sad as I contemplate a restless night’s sleep.

Just over 85,000 attended the final. A record for the EFL. I admire the cities and towns of the UK. The passion for their team is amazing.

I was in England in September last year. My wife and I traveled to Portsmouth for a day trip. She was interested in naval history and I was interested in a game of football at Fratton Park. I witnessed their passion for their team first hand. While I’m disappointed that my team didn’t win I can see the faces of Portsmouth supporters who will be jumping for joy. Good luck to them.
Very gracious in defeat Robbo, and a pleasure to read your summary and personal experience of the game. Like you, over the years I’ve done the late night, internet refresh thing many times, including for numerous FA Cup ties that have more often than not ended badly for the Toon. I’ll be sure to keep in touch with this thread to follow all the twists and turns of the remainder of your season.

You know your in League 1 when mid week, after a Cup Final, your playing Acrington Stanley.

Sunderland has games in hand and these games are vital in the race for automatic promotion.

The Lads bounced back and put 3 in the net while not conceding. The table is looking promising however games still need to be won.
2A8BA06F-9617-47EC-A000-3D7CB9DA5469.jpeg

Well that was a nailbiter. Sunderland traveled to Rochdale. Both had a reason to win. Sunderland is desperate to win automatic promotion. Rochdale is facing relegation.

4,000 away supporters watched the game and were silenced in the 28th minute when Henderson scored for Rochdale. The score remained 1-0 as the teams headed to the sheds for the half time pep talk. The only positive for Sunderland was Barnsley being behind 1-0 at Burton Albion.

The Lads came out with purpose in the second half. Our first half had been flat by all accounts. Not surprising given the Cup Final loss and the midweek game. On 56 minutes Charlie Wyke struck with a low shot on the turn. News filtered through that Barnsley had slipped another goal behind. It was intense stuff and went down to the wire. On 89 minutes the Sunderland captain, George Honeyman scored the match winning goal. 7 minutes of added time felt like an eternity but Sunderland held on.

Portsmouth won. Barnsley lost.

Sunderland is equal with Barnsley on 79 points. Barnsley are plus 1 on goal difference.

Sunderland has played 2 less games.

A mid week game at home against Burton Albion which did Sunderland a massive favour by beating Barnsley.

Haway the Lads.
ED2595FD-E38D-4144-A9B8-36898232123A.jpeg

Last edited:
We’re at the pointy end of the season. Sunderland played its 40th league game of the season and moved into automatic promotion spot with a 1-1 all draw against Burton Albion. BA has been a nemesis of ours recently so I’m happy to get the point. Sunderland came from a goal down. It’s been remarkable how many times this has been achieved this season. Only two losses thus far is a great effort.
C7CE559C-FFDE-4D51-A237-09FADE415ECE.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sunderland lost last night in a game best described as unusual. It wasn’t a gimme fixture although we had the advantage of playing at home. Coventry has tapered off in recent matches and hopes of promotion had drifted away with it. Sunderland was protecting an unbeaten run of 18 games in the League and had not tasted defeat at home this season. To make things worse Barnsley, Portsmouth and Charlton all won.

A brief description of the game. I’ll list the scores. Sunderland were never in front.
1-0, 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, 3-2, 3-3, 4-3, 4-4, 5-4.

10AF7604-C38B-4346-8D17-FCBDC285C19E.jpeg

Just settling in for the game against Doncaster Robbo, on BeIN Sports 1. Beautiful weather and an excellent crowd sets the scene for a crucial fixture for your boys. Good luck.

Morgan! :thumbsu:

A Celtic loanee scores for Sunderland in a key game - doesn’t get much better for someone with my affiliations ...

A dramatic final act to end the first half Robbo. If that Doncaster free kick had snuck in, instead of hitting the post, then the mood in the two dressing rooms and the stadium would be very different during the halftime break. All in all though, imo your boys are well worth their 2 goal lead.

I’ll leave the thread in peace now, but I look forward to reading your post-match summary.

Sunderland took all the points against Doncaster Rovers with a 2-0 victory. Morgan and Wyke scored for the home team.
Luton had a rest today. Charlton Athletic a loss. Barnsley and Portsmouth won.

It’s Easter and near the end of the season. Another fixture on Monday. Sunderland travel to Peterborough for another must win fixture. Peterborough is still in with a chance of finishing 6th. It will be keen for a win. The pressure mounts. It will be a fever pitch the following Saturday when the Lads host Old Pompey at the SOL.
227D33C3-0089-4350-8698-3EA46B12FC67.jpeg

Sensational Bordertoon

It was a late kick off and I chose zzzzzzzz.
Very sensible Robbo.

Btw, I hope I didn’t spoil the game for you, if you’d recorded it on the Foxtel IQ in the hope of watching it without knowing the result, and then checked in on BF before doing so. If that’s the case, then please accept my apologies, and just let me know so that I don’t make any similar faux pas in the future.

An exciting run-in for your boys. Hopefully they can secure the second automatic promotion spot, as those promotion play-offs can be incredibly stressful.

Very sensible Robbo.

Btw, I hope I didn’t spoil the game for you, if you’d recorded it on the Foxtel IQ in the hope of watching it without knowing the result, and then checked in on BF before doing so. If that’s the case, then please accept my apologies, and just let me know so that I don’t make any similar faux pas in the future.

An exciting run-in for your boys. Hopefully they can secure the second automatic promotion spot, as those promotion play-offs can be incredibly stressful.
All good I look at Instagram and Roker Report before I have breakfast. I wasn’t aware that it was on Fox. I’ll keep an eye because it was a late start. Midnight is a reasonable starting time.

Bordertoon

The early game tonight is Portsmouth v Coventry. It’s on Fox and I’ve just tuned in.
Coventry lead 1-0 at half time. Like Sunderland Old Pompey can’t afford to lose. I was at Fratton Park in September so watching the game is bringing back some great memories of the day.

Late Ed: Portsmouth won 2/1. Winner was a cracker except for the fact that Vaughan (ex-Lad) was offside as the cross came in and jumped into the contest to spill the ball for the Pitman strike. Where’s the Video Ref?

Last edited:
Reality stuck just before 2am when the ref blew the whistle to end the game against the Posh. We’re play off bound if we want to be in the Championship next season.

Sunderland 1 Peterborough United 1.

Barnsley won which means automatic promotion now relies on others slipping up.

As for the game it was ‘much ado about nothing’ until the 87th minute when Max Power put the Lads ahead. Robbo was pumped and dreaming of automatic promotion when reality struck in the first minute of stoppage time. Godden equalised for the Posh.

Next game is at SOL against Portsmouth. Still plenty to play for as teams jockey for positions on the table.

This is Robbo’s 10,000th post.:moustache:

C8536613-4DA1-42CC-BB3F-E96D41164F26.jpeg

Reality stuck just before 2am when the ref blew the whistle to end the game against the Posh. We’re play off bound if we want to be in the Championship next season.

Sunderland 1 Peterborough United 1.

Barnsley won which means automatic promotion now relies on others slipping up.

As for the game it was ‘much ado about nothing’ until the 87th minute when Max Power put the Lads ahead. Robbo was pumped and dreaming of automatic promotion when reality struck in the first minute of stoppage time. Godden equalised for the Posh.

Next game is at SOL against Portsmouth. Still plenty to play for as teams jockey for positions on the table.

This is Robbo’s 10,000th post.:moustache:

View attachment 660279
Commiserations Robbo - it’s really disappointing that things are no longer in your own hands, and that you’re relying on others to slip up. I still think that this weekend’s game against Pompey is huge for you though, because if you lose that then it’s pretty much guaranteed that you’ll be in the nerve wracking play-offs. How do you feel about your form line, relative to your likely play-off rivals? It seems that your recent results are a bit more patchy than some of the sides around you on the table.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back