Jaymin

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Leeds United FC
Well things are looking sensational now for Leeds as they prepare for their bumper game at Tranmere Rovers on Saturday.

After giving the rest of the league 15 points head start they should hopefully be able to polish them off in the first 5 games.

The squad currently looks like this:-

Goalkeeper
36 Jonathan Lund
Casper Angekren

Defenders
5 Manuel Rui Marques
6 Matt Heath
15 Fabian Delph
Matt Heath

Midfielders

3 Ben Parker
4 Jonathan Douglas
4 Jonathan Howson
7 Curtis Weston
7 Ian Westlake
8 Alan Thompson
11 Sebastien Carole
11 Eddie Lewis
14 Robert Bayly
15 Frazer Richardson
16 Gylfi Einarsson
21 Shaun Derry

Forwards

8 Tore Andre Flo
9 Jermaine Beckford
10 Tresor Kandol
12 Tom Elliott
25 Richard Cresswell (failed a medical so hasn't been signed by Hull)
Leon Constantine

Looks like a few players will be sharing shirt numbers this season to minimise costs... :eek:

also looks like Alan Thompson will be captain...

United boss Dennis Wise is forecasting a busy week on the transfer front - including the formal capture of his new club captain.

The boss is expected to tie up the players who have performed throughout pre-season without contracts.

Alan Thompson, pictured, Rui Marques, and Matt Heath have all waited to sign new deals with the club while David Prutton, pictured below, Curtis Weston, and Leon Constatine, who is currently sidelined with an ankle injury, have all taken part in pre-season on a 'trial' basis.

Despite the uncertainty, Thommo has worn the captain's armband throughout pre-season and the boss says he will skipper the team in

"He will be captain," said Dennis. "He's my experienced one. He's very important to me.

Re: Leeds United Thread 07/08

id expect a couple of new centre backs
and ankergren will sign in the next few days
honestly will accept anything above relegation if the 15 point deduction stands
otherwise if its reduced to 5 or less id expect playoffs, harsh considering the awful summer we've had, but its time to aim high instead of constantly accepting mediocrity

few signings straight away
casper angekren, the danish keeper has signed
matt heath signed a 2 year deal
leon constantine signed a 2 year deal
curtis weston a 2 year deal

more signings expected

How many trolls will we get in this thread over the season?

Anyway, the squad is starting to take shape now and pre-season performances (against stronger opposition may I add) have been promising. Thommo is the key. Despite his age he is still a class act and will be crucial to our chances of survival or promotion, depending on how the appeal goes.

On the signings:

Casper - Pleased. Did OK last season and I'm comfortable heading into the season with an experienced keeper instead of a first year player.

Heath - Solid defender prone to the odd mistake but should be suited at this level and is known to chip in with a few goals.

Weston - Young midfielder who is one for the future. Has been lively in the pre-season from all reports. Good move.

Constantine - Proven goalscorer at this level, combine him with Beckford and Kandol and they should score plenty. Still need another striker I reckon.

Strangely, I'm looking forward to this season more than last year. Bring on Saturday!

we were linked with radszinksi a month or so back, and he still hasnt signed for anyone, would be a good signing if we could get him

Surely its time to support a new club guys?. No one would blame ya

Surely its time to support a new club guys?. No one would blame ya

I was running a book between you and moomba on who would be the first two slag us off.

I had my money on moomba :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gus Poyet reckons the points penalty will be reduced to 6 if anything. Reckons we have a chance of going up if its 6, will struggle if its 15.

also reckons we wont sign flo and 3 new signings on the way
good news flo is a sicknote

Leeds WILL start on -15

Last Updated: Thursday, 9 August 2007, 11:58 GMT 12:58 UK
E-mail this to a friend Printable version
Leeds lose points penalty appeal
Ken Bates
Bates is unhappy with the 15-point deduction
Leeds have lost their appeal against their 15-point deduction for an alleged breach of the Football League's insolvency policy on Thursday.

The chairmen of the other 71 Football League clubs voted "overwhelmingly" to sanction the club and then again to uphold the original punishment.

In both cases, the outcome was higher than a 75% majority vote.

Leeds supremo Ken Bates had insisted his club had not broken any rules but he must now accept the decision.

Bates had sent a letter to all Football league chairmen, arguing argued in his letter that the punishment was a "breach of natural justice".

It was imposed on 4 August, the same day that Leeds were granted their 'golden share' that allowed them to compete in the Football League this coming season.

The share had been suspended when Leeds went into administration at the end of last season, a decision that automatically incurred a 10-point penalty and thus sealed their relegation from the Championship.

The League want clubs coming out of administration to do so via a company voluntary arrangement (CVA) with football creditors paid in full.

Leeds' creditors originally opted for the club to be sold back to Bates via a CVA.

But HM Revenue & Customs, unhappy at the plans of Bates to pull the club out of administration by paying creditors only eight pence in every £1, mounted a legal challenge.

The matter went to a High Court hearing in Leeds. Preliminary hearings were held on 6 July with a date set for the full case to be heard in September - sparking fears the club might not start the season.

Administrators KPMG subsequently put the club up for sale.

Bates then bought the club back off KPMG in a deal that could eventually be worth more than 50p in every £1 for creditors.

But the purchase meant that the club had not come out of administration via a CVA - with the League imposing their subsequent 15-point penalty for the breach of policy.

Football League chairman Lord Mawhinney has written to all the chairmen of the 71 clubs outlining the consequences of not upholding the penalty against Leeds.

A League statement after the penalty was imposed said: "It is acknowledged the club did go into administration and has been unable to comply with the terms of the League's well-established insolvency policy.

FROM THE BEEB

Remove this Banner Ad

Back