Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Villa
Legends to lead Coast's AFL bidNick Smart

November 11th, 2008

07661424.jpg

WITH eight AFL premierships and 858 games between them, meet the three men who will lead the Gold Coast Football Club into battle.

The GCFC brains trust has been unveiled with former Brisbane Lions stars Marcus Ashcroft and Shaun Hart appointed as assistant coaches under senior coach and West Coast Eagles great Guy McKenna.

There is a lot of experience there, and McKenna said he was thrilled with the two men who would assist him over the next two seasons in preparation for the club's 2011 AFL launch.

"Part of the criteria was that a local content had to be there, but obviously they had to tick the boxes in terms of being very proficient in coaching and developing these kids," he said.

"Both Marcus and Shaun have a long track record in that area."

The three legends of the game are busily preparing for Saturday's first club training session at Carrara, which will mark the beginning of pre-season training.

The seven contracted GC17 players along with 35 other local players will take part on Saturday.

They will make up the Coast team in the Victorian under-18 TAC Cup next season.

For Hart, a three-time premiership player and Norm Smith Medallist, signing up as an assistant coach was a big thrill.

"I think it will be a grand couple of years in preparation for the AFL and I am really looking forward to it," he said.

"It is a privilege to have the opportunity to be a part of the coaching staff for this new team.

"Being a Gold Coaster, I have been longer here than in Victoria so I really feel this is my home."

Hart coached Broadbeach in the AFLQ division one last season before now signing on with GC17.

"They (Broadbeach) were very aware it was part of the contract that if something should arise there would be an out clause," said Hart.

"But it was difficult in a way because you start something with a group of guys and all of a sudden you are not going to finish the job.

"There were a huge lot of challenges there but I enjoyed Broadbeach and the people immensely.

"I think it has positioned me well going for this position -- I don't know if I would have got it if I didn't have that one year of coaching experience."

Hart's former teammate Ashcroft, the Brisbane Lions games record holder, also brings a wealth of experience to the Gold Coast.

A Surfers Paradise junior, Ashcroft attended Merrimac High School and played state league with the Southport Sharks before making his VFL-AFL debut with Brisbane in 1989.

Ashcroft said he looked forward to the challenges ahead.

"I had a long career with the Brisbane Lions -- 20 years as a player and coach -- so it is good to be back on the Coast," he said.

"I think the pathway going forward for kids to play AFL football on the Gold Coast has never been as good as it is now."

GC17 has appointed Andrew Weller, formerly of St Kilda, as strength and conditioning coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back