Leigh Matthews - game footage from Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

prefer this Matthews footage myself

tftk.gif

• Banned
being the judged MVP in 82...you'd certainly wanna hope so :)

You make it sound as though the MVP came before Matthews dominance and not afterwards.

So he was probably best on ground again yeah?

....Snr had 23 touches and booted 2.5, not bad for his 2nd league game.

It was a good performance for a 20 year old, probably his best that year.

So he was probably best on ground again yeah?

I got about 20 games of Hawthorn, featuring Matthews varying between 79-85 and in each game I have seen, he was always running around free and doing as he pleased, his foot skills are never mentioned but had clangers been recorded in his day, he'd be one of the main leaders in the league, it's great getting the ball and all but it's another being able to use it effectively. Some players only had 16-20 touches but they used it better than Matthews and Snr was obviously one of those players.

• Banned
I got about 20 games of Hawthorn, featuring Matthews varying between 79-85 and in each game I have seen, he was always running around free and doing as he pleased, his foot skills are never mentioned but had clangers been recorded in his day, he'd be one of the main leaders in the league

Ablett Jr is one of the main clanger leaders in the league, finishing 4th this year. Although I think Matthews probably uses it more like Sam Mitchell.

it's great getting the ball and all but it's another being able to use it effectively. Some players only had 16-20 touches but they used it better than Matthews and Snr was obviously one of those players.

Not at all. Ablett was a low percentage player by definition, which means a lower effective disposal percentage, and of course there is evidence of this in the game in question.

Although I think Matthews probably uses it more like Sam Mitchell.

It's posts like that which convinces me you only believe what you choose to believe as opposed to the reality.
Not only does Mitchell have a tag almost every game and still hits targets more often than not, he is a vastly better user of the ball as he never bombed the footy as soon as he got it nor did he produce anywhere near as many clangers per game as Matthews.

It's posts like that which convinces me you only believe what you choose to believe as opposed to the reality.

No, it just means my view does not need to conform to yours to be reality.

Not only does Mitchell have a tag almost every game and still hits targets more often than not, he is a vastly better user of the ball as he never bombed the footy as soon as he got it nor did he produce anywhere near as many clangers per game as Matthews.

Matthews got tagged regularly and broke tags. The headline after the Bruns incident featuring a pun 'one tag Matthews cannot break'.

You already said you don't have the stats for clangers from that period so you wouldn't know how many clangers Matthews produced, naturally.

Even the 1971 GF where you claimed Matthews was kicking badly he was going at 87% kicking efficiency, so even the stats disagree with you when they are available.

Maybe your confusion lies in not knowing what a clanger actually is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

comparing his use of the footy to Sam Mitchell is stupid

You will need to provide a reason for this other than just saying it. All we have there is a handful of videos when Matthews is in his 14th, 15th, `16th and 17th seasons, in contested ball winning situations forward of centre, which of course is where clean disposal is most difficult. With those factors in mind, Matthews disposal is very similar to Mitchell's and the comparison stands.

You will need to provide a reason for this other than just saying it. All we have there is a handful of videos when Matthews is in his 14th, 15th, `16th and 17th seasons, in contested ball winning situations forward of centre, which of course is where clean disposal is most difficult. With those factors in mind, Matthews disposal is very similar to Mitchell's and the comparison stands.

again, you spin anything and everything to suit any argument of yours.
I won't need to provide any reason, comparing Matthews to Mitchell's ball use is a terrible comparison and only justifies how poor knowledge you have of your own players not to mention other greats of the game.

again, you spin anything and everything to suit any argument of yours.

LOL nope, these are the factors that Champion Data take into consideration in evaluating player kicking proficiency. Contested beats uncontested and forward third is the hardest place on the ground to hit up a target.

I won't need to provide any reason

That's convenient because you don't have one.

LOL nope, these are the factors that Champion Data take into consideration in evaluating player kicking proficiency. Contested beats uncontested and forward third is the hardest place on the ground to hit up a target.

so let me guess, you will now tell me that champion data confirms Matthews is a better user of the footy than Mitchell even though champion data never existed in the 70's, 80's :rolleyes:

so let me guess, you will now tell me that champion data confirms Matthews is a better user of the footy than Mitchell even though champion data never existed in the 70's, 80's :rolleyes:

Nope, I'm telling you that those factors are used in evaluating kicking, and are not the 'spin' that you called them.

The only spin is in your carefully edited videos.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back