Toast Levi Casboult

bigm386

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Now I've been wanting to post this for about a week or two, largely because the big man cops a bit of flak on the forums and even in the media.

Ok so facts he is a 24 year old 1.98m 100kg or so forward. Which let's face it is our best option as a forward outside of Hendo with Waite in the twilight.

Stats wise he has basically doubled his mark averages this year in comparison to his game in the two prior years. He is serviceable in the ruck and provides good tackling pressure for his size. One thing that isn't a stat is the amount of contests he actually gets to and can impact just by crashing in, which is great to see. It is widely known he has the best tank for a big man at the club.

Now his kicking, yes it is atrocious on goal. But so was Hawkins and so is Cloaks. Remember how much flak Hawkins copped at the same age?

Considering his age and improvement so far this year I'm really impressed. Considering our lack of forwards we should really get behind Levi and hope he goes to the next level in a year or two.

:)

Considering his age and improvement so far this year I'm really impressed. Considering our lack of forwards we should really get behind Levi and hope he goes to the next level in a year or two.

:)

I hope he goes to the next level tomorrow

Oct 12, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
True. Every aspect of his game has improved except the kicking, shame that the one aspect is the crucial one.

He's a hard worker though so not out of the realms of possibility that he fixes it like Hawkins...maybe he needs a stutter?!

etsal1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Laidler said in presser this morning that mick & Levi are working together on his kicking technique. Hope it pays off, he has everything else going for him.

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
From Where You'd Rather Be
AFL Club
Carlton
Hawkins was never a poor kick. Just so often lost and out of his depth.

If Cas was a good kick for goal he would have the tools to be an A-grade forward. Huge tank and one of the best contested marks going around. Reads the play well too.

Need him to improve his kicking though, just please.

bigm386

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Levi's kicking is an obvious area he needs to improve but does he need to improve his fitness levels also so he can get to more contests or is the general consensus he is ok for his size etc ??

The word out of the club he is the fittest big man by a mile. But maybe can still improve?

You notice in games though he takes a few grabs up on the wings etc so that's what they would expect of a big forward you would imagine.

bluekidjoe

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
From a sport-psych perspective, his kicking can most definitely turn around. He needs to find a routine/mental process to fit with his technique, and then like any person, will need practice.
Unfortunately the only true practice will be on game day so initially the pressure will get to him. But over time, once the model is secure and the anxiety arousal can be controlled, he'll execute the technique well.
We can't expect amazing things the week after a technique change, goal-kicking more than almost any other part of the game is a mental battle.
If he keeps his head down, plays his role and builds his confidence and resilience, we'll see his goal-kicking improve as a result.

The word out of the club he is the fittest big man by a mile. But maybe can still improve?

Certainly the one moving around the best in the pre-season but that's considering we didn't have Henderson nor Kreuzer up and about.
Pity he had to play a few games in the VFL early on as he seemed prime to go from Round 1.

Message to Laidley: Levi is 24, not 22.

Apr 22, 2008
Mamba Style !!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakers

You notice in games though he takes a few grabs up on the wings etc so that's what they would expect of a big forward you would imagine.
Have noticed in games he has dropped a few sitters up on the wings uncontested, is it fatigue, lapse of concentration or taking his eyes of the ball, I suspect all are related to fatigue at times.

He may be our fittest big man but how does he compare for work rate and productivity etc across the league with players of a similar size/role such as T.Hawkins, C.Dixon, J.Brown, C.Dawes, D.Hale, K.Tippet, J.Witts/J.White, H.McIntosh etc

etsal1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Levi's goal kicking seems mental to me considering his field kicking is pretty good.

Laidler said in presser this morning that mick & Levi are working together on his kicking technique. Hope it pays off, he has everything else going for him.
Told you he was Carlton through and through. Now at the Swans and still talking us up.

Apr 22, 2008
Mamba Style !!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakers
Levi's goal kicking seems mental to me considering his field kicking is pretty good.
Sorry Etsal I have to respectfully disagree, his technique is awful both when kicking for goal and field kicking. I dont see any alteration in his ball drop and technique when he kicks for goal or kicks around the ground.

The receivers around the ground often camouflage his kicking technique and result of some of his kicks as we tend to focus on the end result, also not hard to kick long down the line to a target or short to a lead up option compared to stationary goal posts.

etsal1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Sorry Etsal I have to respectfully disagree, his technique is awful both when kicking for goal and field kicking. I dont see any alteration in his ball drop and technique when he kicks for goal or kicks around the ground.

The receivers around the ground often camouflage his kicking technique and result of some of his kicks as we tend to focus on the end result, also not hard to kick long down the line to a target or short to a lead up option compared to stationary goal posts.
His technique might be horrible, but he still manages to hit targets. Whereas when he is kicking for goal it can go anywhere but between the sticks.

Apr 22, 2008
Mamba Style !!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakers
His technique might be horrible, but he still manages to hit targets. Whereas when he is kicking for goal it can go anywhere but between the sticks.
That's because the goal posts cant lead at or adjust to his kicking....:p

The point I was making is that his kicking for goal is not just a mental issue and the times he hits targets around the ground is not because his technique or mental issues have suddenly disappaeared.

Its because the receiver can adjust to the kicker or direction of the kicks, also the kicker does not have to be as precise in these situations.:thumbsu:

Back