Life

Remove this Banner Ad

Nobody went out for coffee when I was at school, that was an adult thing. Been a bit of a cultural shift there.

I remember going to school with a couple of gold coins and that bought recess, lunch and after school tennis. Make your own way there, make your own way home. The equivalent today I imagine would be at least $25 or so (been a while since I was at a school canteen) given insurances and supervision etc. for sports. We're talking 1995 vs 2019 but it's more than inflation.
When I went to school we used to be able to buy at the fish and chip shop across the road a serving of chips and a couple of scallops for 5-10 cents and then with your copper you could get some mixed lollies.

Don't want to sound full Croweater but all my coins go in a jar whether 5c or $2. I occasionally grab $4 to get a hotdog & drink at Bunnings or to use the high pressure hose or vacuum at the servo. I reckon 90-95% of my purchases would be cashless, whether that's an $8 lunch or an Oroton umbrella.

Lots of young people smoke darts. Rollies mostly. More of a thing when you’re 18-23 as a sign of rebelling from your private school down a pub.

I dunno, just a trendy sort of thing I guess. Plenty of footy boys smoke darts at festivals and plenty of hospo trendies live off em.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Don't want to sound full Croweater but all my coins go in a jar whether 5c or $2. I occasionally grab $4 to get a hotdog & drink at Bunnings or to use the high pressure hose or vacuum at the servo. I reckon 90-95% of my purchases would be cashless, whether that's an $8 lunch or an Oroton umbrella.
Yeah, I use my card for everything. Only time I use cash if the transaction requires it.

If I was lucky, maybe I'd be given barely enough money to get a thick shake from Bells on the way home from footy training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think kids these days skip the darts and go straight for the meth. More bang for your buck.
Ye jest but more and more kids first exposure to illegal drugs is through meth which freaks me out a little bit. That s**t is a long way from the shitty weed we used to get when I was first getting interested in that sort of thing.

Was mixing tobacco with cannabis for a few years once the bong was gone. Will be kicking myself if I get a related cancer one day.

But the thing is, it was pretty easy to stop mixing it in once I realised "Hey, it's been years now, better stop the tobacco". Was only doing it on weekend evenings usually which could be why. I never quite got addicted to the tobacco and never liked smoking it on its own. So how much ******* tobacco do you need to become a lifelong addict?

It is cringe watching twentysomethings who don't have a bogan backstory loving 'rollies' and smoking a bunch each day.

Last edited:
How kids can afford to smoke is beyond me. I could get change from $3 for 25 Dunhills when I started smoking.
$1.15 for a pack of 15 PJ Blue when I was 13. Doubled down that I was a paperboy where my best mate's brother managed the mornings and gave us free run of the shop. We used to take so much s**t, cigs, mags, chocs... I got addicted for free.

I don't really buy 'stuff.'

Like food, groceries, that's kinda all the 'goods' I purchase. I pay cash for some Japanese or Thai or something, that's about it.

I'm a mostly 'services' kinda guy.

On money surely we aren't that far off getting rid of the 5 cent pieces?
I had a similar thought last year and embarked on some dodgy maths for comparison purposes. By my calculations, one cent in 1966 is the equivalent of about 8 cents now. So our 5 cent coin is now of lower equivalent value than the smallest denomination back when we decimalised. Ergo, we should kill it.

I'm basically the same. I practically never recycle coins for purchases and the majority of purchases are cashless. I have the odd thing - like beers in the pub with the boys - that I use cash for always, but I will always use notes. Coins just go in the pocket and then get dumped into a fruitcake tin when I get home. Once or twice a year when the tin is full, I take it to the bank.
What triggered the above, frankly bizarre, desire to perform math is that I've come to deeply detest silver coins. They are either valueless, or, extremely bulky and practically valueless. I had a thought that we should perhaps kill off our current silver products entirely (wait). The 5c is valueless and the 10c will be soon if it's not already. We would then commision a single silver coin, the 25c and it should be as thin as a current 10c and either slightly larger or slightly smaller (my preference) in diameter. That denomination would last about 20-30 years before we kill it off and $1 becomes our lowest denomination. Either that or the giant insects eat us. Whichever happens first.

$1.15 for a pack of 15 PJ Blue when I was 13. Doubled down that I was a paperboy where my best mate's brother managed the mornings and gave us free run of the shop. We used to take so much s**t, cigs, mags, chocs... I got addicted for free.
Ha! That was my first thought when Gough mentioned the price of darts when he was kicking off. PJ15's - the preferred durrie of school children everywhere! Could hide them in you sleeve and adults couldn't see the box outline :moustache:

I don't really buy 'stuff.'

Like food, groceries, that's kinda all the 'goods' I purchase. I pay cash for some Japanese or Thai or something, that's about it.

I'm a mostly 'services' kinda guy.
Yes. Same.

CBF buying "stuff" like things that gather dust.

I wanna slowly get rid of the crap I do have.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back