Linux

Remove this Banner Ad

If you don't know the answers to those questions, perhaps Linux isn't the place for you
I did do a little research last night, and I'm thinking about using Ubuntu for it.
I answered my own questions so I think I'm all good now
But is there any tips or anything I should know?

My only suggestion would be to look into spinning up a Linux Virtual Machine in something like VMWare Workstation Player. I don't know if you have any experience with Linux, but it will at least give you an idea of what it's like (minus the gaming part) before you dive in and blow away your current setup.

Another option would be to dual boot it, and install it on a new partition if you want the full experience.

My only suggestion would be to look into spinning up a Linux Virtual Machine in something like VMWare Workstation Player. I don't know if you have any experience with Linux, but it will at least give you an idea of what it's like (minus the gaming part) before you dive in and blow away your current setup.

Another option would be to dual boot it, and install it on a new partition if you want the full experience.
Better yet, try Windows Subsystem for Linux

The release of WSL2 has essentially removed my need to run a VM or dual-boot, it's a real gamechanger for anyone who prefers Linux but needs to keep Windows for compatibility reasons

I guess it depends on what you're using Linux for

I mostly use it for running Docker, and WSL2 is plenty good enough for that
The VM suggestion was just an off-the-cuff thing as it's what I use at home (SQL DB hosted in Ubuntu via ESXi), I'd completely forgotten WSL existed and is probably a much slicker solution than messing around with a hypervisor in the OP's particular use case.

95% of people will have a terrible experience with Linux. If you don't have a reason for moving to Linux, I wouldn't move to Linux from Windows/Mac.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back