Lions Guernsey survey results: An open letter to Malcolm Holmes

Remove this Banner Ad

Quite simply, I do not want us to go into the next final series or grand final wearing that jumper..

..it is not our real jumper....it is not worthy of the occassion..

We want to do our club proud, we want to be seen to be a proud club..

..we cannot do that wearing the paddlepop jumper..:thumbsdown:

I am a proud new member who still seethes at "Mr" Bowers saying supporters opinion was not important...good riddence to you "Mr" Bowers!...

I now have a voice..and along with all the others, I want to be heard on this issue..

No.2038445

I am a proud new member who still seethes at "Mr" Bowers saying supporters opinion was not important...I now have a voice..and along with all the others, I want to be heard on this issue..

No.2038445

The point for me, MacMum, is that Bower's has gone, but the board seem to be keeping the worst aspect of his legacy alive! :mad:

I had not been a member since 2002 and spent my money on a Melbourne Storm membership but I joined up this year because I really believe in the direction the club is heading. Malcolm you and your team are doing a fantatic job and I was especially rapped when I recieved a phone call from your membership department to ask how I was enjoying my first year as a Lions member. I just want a jumper I can buy and be proud of. You won't lose members from changing the jumper back but you will gain them. You won't lose merchandise sales from changing the jumper back but you will gain them.

Malcolm thank you for the great job you have done in so many areas. lets put the icing on the cake and bring back the premiership jumper

Mikey Dynon
Lions member #1017589

I add my voice to this. It would be great for Lion Insider to come on an acknowledge the thread even if he/she doesn't respond as yet.
Well done to all involved in getting this up and running. Great and passionate work, what makes a club keep moving forward.
I think that's above LI's pay grade guys.

The link to this thread has now been forwarded to Malcolm. The ball is in his court.

Am i the only one who likes the current guernsy, i mean the other logo was to small and the jumper looked plain, the new one covers the jumper more and it's more child friendly

I think the very fact that SO many people have showed so much passion and commitment to changing it proves just how divisive it really is.

With the new board, I have a newfound faith that the right decisions will be made, and that our club has a bright future ahead. This is a change that will happen. I just want it to be sooner rather than later. :thumbsu:

Am i the only one who likes the current guernsy

No. But that's the point. The survey results showed that the current jumper was, without question, divisive, whereas the other two options polled were not.

I agree, the head as an emblem looks good, but not the cartoon character.

.. and my personal opinion... not front and centre on our jumper either.
That space should remain reserved for the classic, iconic, stoic, emotive, historic, timeless Fitzroy Lion.
You know.. the one that has similar brand recognition ability (within it's target market of course) to say APPLE and NIKE!
(okay.. i'm laying it all on a bit thick now but you get the gist)

For what it's worth. I think the club logo (Lion head) could and probably should stay. I think it's modern and works, but the jumper needs to be fixed. Will it stop me supporting the side or being a member? No. Do I think it impacts the greater Brisbane support level of the club? No. But I certainly don't believe that it enhances it either.

Silver Member
September Member

On the logo I have to disagree. It is actually what directly contravenes the merger agreement, clause 7.2 c). The club, with AFL support, used the legal system to usurp the clause, achieving an agreement that allows them to use the head alongside the real lion. The real lion will be phased out from 2017 on the lions.com.au site, and everywhere else from 2024.

It is an utter disgrace that the club ever started down this road. The fact they continue to travel it is truly shameful. I believe changing the guernsey back to the real lion is seen by the powerbrokers as a step towards negating the 'win' they had in the courts.

I am open to change, but not change that comes like this. BBFFC should have sat down with the FFC to nut out options, with the intention of polling members. Instead, a few autocratic fools decided they knew law well enough to give us all the bird & do as they pleased.

The whole sorry mess needs to be cleaned up in line with the ethos the club supposedly now embraces. Relentless, united & respectful. Actions speak a damned site louder than words.

Bingo!

But last time I looked, AFL football was played by men.

The afl is more child friendly then the nrl, and honestly it's just a logo, i'd rather brisbane focusing on getting us in the top 8 rather then changing the logo.

For what it's worth. I think the club logo (Lion head) could and probably should stay. I think it's modern and works, but the jumper needs to be fixed. Will it stop me supporting the side or being a member? No. Do I think it impacts the greater Brisbane support level of the club? No. But I certainly don't believe that it enhances it either.

Silver Member
September Member

On the logo I have to disagree. It is actually what directly contravenes the merger agreement, clause 7.2 c). The club, with AFL support, used the legal system to usurp the clause, achieving an agreement that allows them to use the head alongside the real lion. The real lion will be phased out from 2017 on the lions.com.au site, and everywhere else from 2024.

It is an utter disgrace that the club ever started down this road. The fact they continue to travel it is truly shameful. I believe changing the guernsey back to the real lion is seen by the powerbrokers as a step towards negating the 'win' they had in the courts.

I am open to change, but not change that comes like this. BBFFC should have sat down with the FFC to nut out options, with the intention of polling members. Instead, a few autocratic fools decided they knew law well enough to give us all the bird & do as they pleased.

The whole sorry mess needs to be cleaned up in line with the ethos the club supposedly now embraces. Relentless, united & respectful. Actions speak a damned site louder than words.

See, divisive! Splinter groups forming everywhere!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They afl is more child friendly then the nrl, and honestly it's just a logo, i'd rather brisbane focusing on getting us in the top 8 rather then changing the logo.
Your very response itself is providing further evidence of the effect that the guernsey has without you even realising it.

They afl is more child friendly then the nrl, and honestly it's just a logo, i'd rather brisbane focusing on getting us in the top 8 rather then changing the logo.

Its not the logo that's the issue, its the communication by the board and CEO's since 2010 on the issue that has caused such problem.

I am sure plenty of people like it, and I would have no issue if the club showed their own research from 2010 that backed this up, but they wont.

Like mentioned above the current jumper is a jumper you either love or hate, not a jumper that can be excepted by all the supporters and that's the major issue.

Your very response itself is providing further evidence of the effect that the guernsey has without you even realising it.

i skimmed through it and you guys believe the guernsy has caused a decrease in members and outraged a few people?

i skimmed through it and you guys believe the guernsy has caused a decrease in members and outraged a few people?
Try reading the first few posts more thoroughly.

Its not the logo that's the issue, its the communication by the board and CEO's since 2010 on the issue that has caused such problem.

I am sure plenty of people like it, and I would have no issue if the club showed their own research from 2010 that backed this up, but they wont.

Like mentioned above the current jumper is a jumper you either love or hate, not a jumper that can be excepted by all the supporters and that's the major issue.

People will get over it in time, but the guernsy has done nothing to effect the club at all, so i don't get the outroar on it, cant believe this is going on 2 years after it happened.

Well what does that tell you then?

That people cant move on, i mean yes it's different but it's apart of rebranding, and rebranding a logo or a company will never be popular but it has to be done, and if numerous petitions didn't work then nothing will, but i will point out something, if the jumper were to be changed it would have been changed at the end of this year "like it was stated in the thread", but maybe brisbane were hoping last year that the major sponsors would stay on board, which is why they extended it for 2 more years, but that obviously backfired, and now it will take years till another chance presents itself, so untill that time comes can we just move on?

That people cant move on, i mean yes it's different but it's apart of rebranding, and rebranding a logo or a company will never be popular but it has to be done, and if numerous petitions didn't work then nothing will, but i will point out something, if the jumper were to be changed it would have been changed at the end of this year "like it was stated in the thread", but maybe brisbane were hoping last year that the major sponsors would stay on board, which is why they extended it for 2 more years, but that obviously backfired, and now it will take years till another chance presents itself, so untill that time comes can we just move on?
Again, I get the sense you haven't read the opening few posts.

Again, I get the sense you haven't read the opening few posts.

I said i skimmed through it before, but it's nonsence, and other then a few outraged fans and constant petitions there isn't to much else to this.

And the constant denial from brisbane back in 2009 was only due to protecting there business, they knew if they told the fans
1. there would be a backlash
2. people would wait till the new merchindise arrives instead of buying the old stock.

Surely you wouldn't contribute an alternate view and argument to the topic at hand having only "skimmed through it".
I trust you will read the entirity of the opening posts to consider what is being asked, suggested and presented.o_O

Remove this Banner Ad

Back