Preview Lions vs Port, Round 6 Saturday April 29 4.35pm @ Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd actually argue the opposite. The lineups been fairly settled most weeks - this week we're bringing back 2 best 22 players who were only out due to injury, replacing two people who have played defence the past fortnight.

Close for Basti is a brave change, but good on Fagan for dropping him. Needs to deliver a lot better if he wants a spot in our team. Close coming in is a tactical move to stretch Ports defence. Will ensure Trengrove plays back which is smart.

They have Hombsch, Clurey and Jonas. Trengove will probably play forward.

I think Cutler really needs to have one of his best games. He is right at that point for young players where he could be ready to advance pretty quickly and really cement a place in the team. He has the ability but we need to see it consistently.

I'm happy with the changes. I would have liked to have seen Cedric Cox get another week but it'll probably be good for him to have a rest.

Darcy Gardiner is a really important in. We need him to shut down Gray or Wingard. Hopefully Cutler returns to form this week and adds some run and carry. I'm looking forward to seeing how our forward structure looks with all three of Close, Schache and Hipwood playing. I think it will work well and could potentially stretch Port's defence.

Actually Port have named Dixon, Trengove and Westhoff in their forward. We'll probably need Gardiner to play on one of those guys. Probably Westhoff?

I'd actually argue the opposite. The lineups been fairly settled most weeks - this week we're bringing back 2 best 22 players who were only out due to injury, replacing two people who have played defence the past fortnight.

Close for Basti is a brave change, but good on Fagan for dropping him. Needs to deliver a lot better if he wants a spot in our team. Close coming in is a tactical move to stretch Ports defence. Will ensure Trengrove plays back which is smart.
Plus it allows Close to chop out in the ruck which lets Schache focus on his forward game.

They have Hombsch, Clurey and Jonas. Trengove will probably play forward.
Tom Jonas is better suited as a 3rd tall. He's only 189cm tall. If our talls get off the leash they'll send Trengove down back to take one of them. Close is 197cm, Schache is 199cm and Hipwood is 202cm so they are on the taller side of the scale for KPP's whilst Port's three tall defenders are on the shorter side for KPP's with Jonas at 189cm, Hombsch at 194cm and Clurey at 193cm.

Tom Jonas is better suited as a 3rd tall. He's only 189cm tall. If our talls get off the leash they'll send Trengove down back to take one of them. Close is 197cm, Schache is 199cm and Hipwood is 202cm so they are on the taller side of the scale for KPP's whilst Port's three tall defenders are on the shorter side for KPP's with Jonas at 189cm, Hombsch at 194cm and Clurey at 193cm.

I think Jonas will start on Hipwood. The other two are more than capable of doing a reasonable job on Schack and Close.

Glad to have the 3 tall set up back in action. I thought it worked well in the JLT series. Hipwood and Schache to lead up the ground and leave Close as the bigger body closer to goal to crash packs and make sure the ball hits the deck. Hipwood is best when he is on the move, Schache works well as a hit up target, both will have their chances inside 50 if they keep on the move.

Look at how Hipwood kicked his goals last week. 13cm wouldn't have made much difference. Trengove would probably be too slow.
Doubt port will allow easy goals over the back this week. Hipwood will have to play higher up the ground to use his natural gifts so I expect someone like Clurey or Jonas would play on him as both are fairly athletic.

Have a feeling Schache will get off the chain this week. Should get a favourable match up.

Anybody who doubts Hipwood will kick 5+ is not a true Lions fan.

He literally cannot be stopped now. Once you unleash the Hipwood there is simply no going back.

Genuinely feel sorry for the port defenders that are going to be taught a lesson by Eric "Better than Buddy" Hipwood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clurey's the one we need to expose, he couldn't handle Patton at all when they played GWS.

I'll go down the general admission and yell thinly veiled insults at him. That should do it.

Just start calling him Westhoff. That should do it.

Good plan.

This is genuinely a thing bigfooty. Tell all your mates at the ground. We're going to mentally destroy Clurey

This is not a drill.

Good plan.

This is genuinely a thing bigfooty. Tell all your mates at the ground. We're going to mentally destroy Clurey

This is not a drill.

"Clurey on your boot!"

"Clurey on your boot!"

Back in 2015 against Carlton a bunch of supporters screamed at Jamison the entire game and it visibly disturbed him.

The Gabba needs to get brutal again.

I like the inclusions. Shache hipwood combo played excellently last week, I feel like they know how to play with each other. Adding close into the mix now hopefully all 3 can learn to work together. Close working up the field with shache and hipwood in the 50 all on his lonesome

Bit surprised that Walker didn't get a game. Note that he is listed as emergency. Expect he will come in for Gardiner or Cutler actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back