Resource List thread - Inaccuracy in official records

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL website story about the change in '64 goalkicking. Thanks everyone (especially 35Daicos) for helping get this done.
Bugger me! Look what it says down the bottom of that article:
1580264873169.png
I've been waiting to hear back from Col Hutchinson regarding the Geelong 1929 B&F (after posting this), but it does look like it's now been sorted out!

The article does get this bit wrong:
1580265599873.png
It's the third time; they've forgotten/not been aware of Bob Galbally and Lou Richards level with 26 goals in 1944.

Edit: Yikes!! Article now amended:
1580272905293.png

Last edited:
AFL website story about the change in '64 goalkicking. Thanks everyone (especially 35Daicos) for helping get this done.
Overall it's an excellent article, and I'm really pleased to see they have made this into a decent story. I thought they may have seen it as a bit embarrassing and preferred to keep it quiet, but full marks to them. They even say "perhaps the biggest statistical blunder in League history"!

I was happy to see my 'name' given a mention in the article, so thanks a lot for that!

What a great read. Ben Collins is a real history buff, it's usually his byline on these sorts of articles. Great work all round.

It's his material that I like to read the most for this season.

Historian vs gossip groupthink.

He even did a thing on Steele Sidebottom and Jack Ziebell's family history too.

If anyone is looking for club Best and Fairest voting tallies, for 1976 season - it is hidden away in the Preliminary Final record, and for 1977 it is in the Grand Final Footy Record Replay. A reader directed me to there and I found the voting tallies I was missing for those years,

If anyone is looking for club Best and Fairest voting tallies, for 1976 season - it is hidden away in the Preliminary Final record, and for 1977 it is in the Grand Final Footy Record Replay. A reader directed me to there and I found the voting tallies I was missing for those years,
I must be doing something wrong but I can't find either year in those records - are you able to post a link or let me know which page to look on?

Oh wait - do you mean Richmond results only?

Last edited:
Collingwood Archives and 35Daicos have done some work on resolving a conflict in official records.

In 1921-22, Basil Smith (from Warrnambool/Geelong), Clyde Smith (from Heidelberg) and Hector Lingwood-Smith (from Sturt) were all on Collingwood's list. Previously it was thought that Basil had played his solitary game in rd 18, on 17th September 1921 against Carlton before transferring to South Melbourne for the following season and subsequently Richmond.

Research now proves that this match was actually played by Clyde Smith (who we had as coming from Sturt), which increases his match tally to 8 and removes Basil Smith as having played a senior game with Collingwood.

Col/Steve at AFL have been advised of the evidence supporting this case, Club stats will be updated accordingly. If AFLTables and Australianfootball.com can also update please.

In a recent discussion with the Collingwood FC history folks it was revealed that Hector Lingwood-Smith played the 1922 Rd. 2 game against South Melbourne, not Clyde Smith who online sources credit with playing that game.

The Herald named Lingwood-Smith as coming in and Clyde Smith going out for that game: https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/246760830
1580371098569.png
1580371173486.png

They go in opposite directions for the rd. 3 game (C. Smith is named in the official lineup and Lingwood-Smith isn't): https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/246759961
1580371667190.png

So Lingwood-Smith gets an extra game (one game lost for C. Smith) and his debut is brought forward from Rd. 11 to Rd. 2.

This change has been ratified by the AFL.

*Paul*
Oliver Gigacz

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This snippet from an 1896 newspaper is rather fascinating, as I've never seen/heard this story before:
View attachment 820139

There's no Mitchell named as playing for Essendon that year (or the year before) in Pennings' Vol. 4, which is odd. Mitchell is named in a squad for a pre-season game in 1895: https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/9354863
It was a charity match going by earlier paragraphs. Maybe thats the connection ie Guy Sebastian playing in a Slowdown etc

It was a charity match going by earlier paragraphs. Maybe thats the connection ie Guy Sebastian playing in a Slowdown etc
Ah, yes indeed! That would explain why it didn't make it into Pennings' book. I still wonder if it was him at the club in 1895, and if he was meant to be a "serious" footballer.

Or Shannon Noll and Gary Sweet playing in the EJ Whitten Legends Game.

FYI - Spreadsheet has been sent to Stephen R tonight
I've told him the majority of entries are probably already complete, but if he can look over each entry, and come back to me with only the ones that are NOT RESOLVED/NEED MORE RESEARCH by the AFL. That will enable me to do a complete cull of the spreadsheet leaving only what is outstanding, and then I can add new entires based on the Forum pages of the last year.

There's a query floating around that has stumped the AFL Historians.
In 1938 this illustration was published, and the query is , who is the person in the bottom left-hand corner with the dagger / or what club are they representing.
The article was published here: https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/11159255

Those caricatures are pretty ordinary....Not sure what side the cockie in the bottom right hand corner is suppose to represent? The Mexican with the sombrero tossing the knife might be the Same Olds?....Dunno.....and who is the gorilla supposed to be?....Carlton?

The Hawks were known as the Mayblooms back then....I reckon the Bombers might still have been the Same Olds, hence the Mexican?....Not sure on that one, nor when North became the Kangaroos?...are they represented by the Cockie?

How does one characterise a Maybloom or a Same old?

FYI - Spreadsheet has been sent to Stephen R tonight
I've told him the majority of entries are probably already complete, but if he can look over each entry, and come back to me with only the ones that are NOT RESOLVED/NEED MORE RESEARCH by the AFL. That will enable me to do a complete cull of the spreadsheet leaving only what is outstanding, and then I can add new entires based on the Forum pages of the last year.
Great stuff! Very good to hear.

Those caricatures are pretty ordinary....Not sure what side the cockie in the bottom right hand corner is suppose to represent? The Mexican with the sombrero tossing the knife might be the Same Olds?....Dunno.....and who is the gorilla supposed to be?....Carlton?

The Hawks were known as the Mayblooms back then....I reckon the Bombers might still have been the Same Olds, hence the Mexican?....Not sure on that one, nor when North became the Kangaroos?...are they represented by the Cockie?

How does one characterise a Maybloom or a Same old?
Fitzroy were the Gorillas at one stage:
1581670529103.png

I agree about the cockie. I've no idea what it's doing there!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back