Lleyton Hewitt

Remove this Banner Ad

so the draw is out today and he got duckworth in the 1st round and hes on the bottom half of the draw, I get the feeling he will be on court on Monday, anyone else get that feeling?
No men's bottom half confirmed to play Tuesday. It will be say or night rla on Tuesday. My guess is the day match, with nadal verdasco the night match.

so the draw is out today and he got duckworth in the 1st round and hes on the bottom half of the draw, I get the feeling he will be on court on Monday, anyone else get that feeling?

Duckworth loves his 5 setters. Will fit in perfectly with the Hewitt circlejerk err I mean narrative.

Been great for Aus tennis but I was never a fan. Hopefully it means we can stop hearing Hewitt being referred to as "former world number one" in basically every media article.

Been great for Aus tennis but I was never a fan. Hopefully it means we can stop hearing Hewitt being referred to as "former world number one" in basically every media article.

All that will happen is we will hear about how Tomic, Kyrgios and Kokkinakis are future number ones.

I've mellowed on him over the years, and can respect his mental strength and fighting qualities - but I will definitely not miss that 'come on' of his, has always been a bloody awful celebration from my view.

COME ONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

I actually enjoy it, it was unique until every other player started to join in with fist pumps and celebrations of their own.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lleyton Hewitt has grown up over the years and is an Australian sporting legend who manages to surprise us every time. I was just reading an article called "How we learned to love loudmouth Lleyton" on sports news australia and I was transported back to the time in 2008 when Lleyton Hewitt was playing against Marcos Baghdatis at the 2008 Australian Open and they played till 4:30 am! Finally, it was the Australian who won the game and from then onwards he began changing bit by bit. Hewitt became more calm on and off-court and more generous towards opponents. Though he was a brat in the beginning, he has matured a lot over the years and definitely deserves a good farewell. I also think that he's a great commentator for the Australian Open. Lleyton is definitely an immense source of inspiration.

Doubt there's been an athlete in the history of sport who squeezed more out of his ability than Hewitt.

There were vanishingly few matches Hewitt played in his career where he had more weapons than the bloke on the other side of the net.

He had no right to win some of the matches he did, let alone be number one in the world for 80+ weeks. And they weren't run-of-the-mill matches either. We're talking stunning victories here against all-time greats of the sport. Sampras in a US Open Final (people don't appreciate just how much of a feat that was), Federer in a Davis Cup semi-final. And I lost count of the number of times he handed Roddick's ass to him, a bloke, by any logical assessment, he just shouldn't get anywhere near.

The most mentally tough athlete I think I've ever seen.

Doubt there's been an athlete in the history of sport who squeezed more out of his ability than Hewitt.

There were vanishingly few matches Hewitt played in his career where he had more weapons than the bloke on the other side of the net.

He had no right to win some of the matches he did, let alone be number one in the world for 80+ weeks. And they weren't run-of-the-mill matches either. We're talking stunning victories here against all-time greats of the sport. Sampras in a US Open Final (people don't appreciate just how much of a feat that was), Federer in a Davis Cup semi-final. And I lost count of the number of times he handed Roddick's ass to him, a bloke, by any logical assessment, he just shouldn't get anywhere near.

The most mentally tough athlete I think I've ever seen.

Watching alot of junior tennis at the time he was at his peak, it was astonishing the impact he had on the kids. All of sudden junior tennis players never gave up if they were 0-40 down or 0-5.

There have always been fighters and comebacks in tennis but he bought a whole new meaning to the saying 'no easy points'.

He shouldn't have come out of retirement and the team already is split into a million pieces get him out of the captaincy hes not the right person
Cause Nick and Bernard were darling angels before Hewitt become DC captain.

And it was the right move to come out of retirement for the doubles. they took one of the best doubles teams ever to 5 sets and they had them rattled. and yes i know the Byran's arent what they used to be, but are u telling me that Groth could have returned as good as Hewitt did on that day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back