Lloyd - Hird payment error by Bombers in 2001 ripped heart out of club

Remove this Banner Ad

Lloyd said when the players were told they had to leave there were a lot of tears and the players saying they didn't want to leave and only want to play at Essendon.

.... I'm just picturing Hird sitting over in the corner with his new $1Mil contract under his belt while these sacrificial lambs packed up their gear in tears ??

Wonder what he was thinking ?

Lloyd said when the players were told they had to leave there were a lot of tears and the players saying they didn't want to leave and only want to play at Essendon.

.... I'm just picturing Hird sitting over in the corner with his new $1Mil contract under his belt while these sacrificial lambs packed up their gear in tears ??

Wonder what he was thinking ?

"$999,996, $999,997, $999,998, $999,999, $1,000,000. Yep Tania, that's one million bucks. Can I throw it on the bed now so we can get down to it?"

It's a bit of stretch to blame Hird on this. You'd have to look at all of his contract to see really how much he was getting, not just the last year of a heavily backended contract which the club was attempting to leverage.

and clearly the club set the cotract up years earlier. Even if Hird said no, I'll only take $500K, the entire $1 million would still have been included in the cap under the salary cap rules.

Christ, Pandora's box has been opened on Hird. The more we learn about him the more his legacy is tarnished.
there was a point late last season where Lloyd had a gutful. since then he has twisted the knife on Hird every chance he is given

Slightly OT but the thread got me thinking about it; the 3 players named in here were vital to our 2000 premiership (blunfield would have come close to BOG in the GF) and we never adequately replaced them, however outside of Caracella to an extent (he never looked as good anywhere else as he did in 99 and 00) none of them really did anything after leaving Essendon, they just become run-of-the-mill footballers. Always struck me as odd.
blake was pretty good at pies. copped that bad injury

Slightly OT but the thread got me thinking about it; the 3 players named in here were vital to our 2000 premiership (blunfield would have come close to BOG in the GF) and we never adequately replaced them, however outside of Caracella to an extent (he never looked as good anywhere else as he did in 99 and 00) none of them really did anything after leaving Essendon, they just become run-of-the-mill footballers. Always struck me as odd.

When you rip a players heart out it's bound to have some long-lasting damage.

Last edited:
Don't understand why this has been moved to The Bay - there's legitimate continuing governance questions at Essendon still centred around their suspended coach...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Velvet Sledgehammer bows to no man, don't worry about that.
.....and yet he was too s**t-scared to resume his career due to an intense, paralyzing fear of being bitch slapped by this bloke

563267-campbell-brown.jpg

So James Hird's selfishness was the main reason the Dons didn't go on with the predicted dynasty, leaving the 2000 team as one flag wonders.
We need to keep a running total of the number of premierships James Hird has cost Essendon. Adding it as a footnote to his Wiki page would be appropriate.

Don't understand why this has been moved to The Bay - there's legitimate continuing governance questions at Essendon still centred around their suspended coach...
agree! i did no more than repeat what Lloyd said live on 3AW today. seems you cant discuss essendon on main board. and there is MUCH MORE said today than there was back in 2001.

lol at all the jealous losers in here. Hird is rolling in cash and you sadsacks aren't.

Getting rid of 3 mediocre scrubs to keep one of the greatest players in our club's, and the AFL's, history. Unfortunately Peter Jackson was a numpty and didn't know the rules of the veteran's list. His fault, not Hird's. He was at Melbourne last year so it shows how good he is.

More an issue for Jackson, wouldn't you think?
What is Jacko up to these days?

It's not Hirds fault the bombers gave him a good contract. Just like it's not Buddys fault Sydney gave him a 9 year contract. A man has a right to name his price. Essendon should have negotiated better

It's not Hirds fault the bombers gave him a good contract. Just like it's not Buddys fault Sydney gave him a 9 year contract. A man has a right to name his price. Essendon should have negotiated better
He was hardly overpaid. Essendon shouldn't have ****ed up and realised he wasn't eligible for veterans status.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back