Resource Local Apparel Suppliers - feedback and reviews

Remove this Banner Ad

APelican

Rookie
Mar 31, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Firstly I wasn't sure where to post this question, so hopefully the area of big footy is correct, or maybe I can be pointed in the right direction..

I am wondering if maybe there can be a thread regarding apparel Suppliers that anyone/local club could contact to get apparel made.

Basically I'm hoping for anyone who has knowledge on companies and there quality, pricing, design, range etc.

Not looking to cause issues with people possibly bad mouthing anyone, but just honest feedback on what you/your club has got in regards to gear, costs, time frames etc.

Thanks.

Firstly I wasn't sure where to post this question, so hopefully the area of big footy is correct, or maybe I can be pointed in the right direction..

I am wondering if maybe there can be a thread regarding apparel Suppliers that anyone/local club could contact to get apparel made.

Basically I'm hoping for anyone who has knowledge on companies and there quality, pricing, design, range etc.

Not looking to cause issues with people possibly bad mouthing anyone, but just honest feedback on what you/your club has got in regards to gear, costs, time frames etc.

Thanks.
Haven't received any products yet, but my cricket club is going through SCD apparel for next season.
The guys are really good to work with and from what I've seen in pictures, the kit is of a really good standard.
Also, very competitive prices!

This is a great thread idea and no it hasn't been started before. I've edited the thread title to reflect how this thread can be used in the future, hopefully you find what you're after!

I'm assuming there's at least a couple of people on here who've dealt with companies like TWP and can provide good honest feedback.

From the AFL apparel designers, I'm pretty sure it's only ISC and Puma who supply to an amateur level and even then it's pretty limited. Don't think BLK do it anymore since their issues.

Thanks.

Hey mate, I organise our local footy club merchandise through CGR Sportswear. They design and make majority of the gear in Melbourne (bigger quantities can be sent off shore). All in all pretty decent quality, especially the on field gear.

Sliding scale also helps with off field gear, the more you order you'll pay less per item.

Time frames generally pretty good. Have been around 4 week mark from artwork approval to delivery.

Design team do a good job too

Hope that helps mate.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This is a great thread idea and no it hasn't been started before. I've edited the thread title to reflect how this thread can be used in the future, hopefully you find what you're after!

I'm assuming there's at least a couple of people on here who've dealt with companies like TWP and can provide good honest feedback.

From the AFL apparel designers, I'm pretty sure it's only ISC and Puma who supply to an amateur level and even then it's pretty limited. Don't think BLK do it anymore since their issues.
Sekem do most of the EDFL, I think.

There's certainly more than just Puma and ISC going locally now, I've seen smaller companies such as Gamesta and SCD going.

There's plenty out there. I know it's not football, but when I started looking for my cricket club, I literally just googled cricket kit sublimation, or Melbourne cricket kits or something like that and went and got invoices for like 15 companies. I'm pretty sure most of them did Aussie Rules stuff as well.

Thanks guys. I'd hope to possibly see this thread become a bit of a goto for anyone wanting to know who the best suppliers are. If someone wants the best looking/best designed tops or jumpers, then use "such and such".
If you want the cheapest club polo shirts, chat to "these blokes" etc.

Anyway,

Personally I havn't dealt with TWP, but from second hand info, and knowing/seeing their prices on things. They seem to be a bit expensive. They probably don't have the competition around the Geelong area to have the need to be more price competitive. Yet the gear they produce is good quality. No complaints.

I'm assuming you're from a smaller club if you're worried about their prices?

Your best option is to find every possible supplier, and send an email saying each different item you'd want to stock (Guernsey, shorts, socks, hoodie, training top, etc) and how much each would cost, and just compare all the prices. They won't all give you exact prices, but they'll probably give you a ballpark.

Not going to say the cheapest option will be the best, either. From my experience, I looked into the cheapest brands and one of them had some very dodgy reviews both on quality and service.

Sekem do most of the EDFL, I think.

There's certainly more than just Puma and ISC going locally now, I've seen smaller companies such as Gamesta and SCD going.

What I meant was suppliers that supply professional (read: AFL) clubs as well as amateur clubs. The overlap is small.

I know that there are a heap of small-time suppliers now and there are probably a few more popping up every six months.

Last edited:
ISC do the gear for my club - I'm responsible for purchasing and working with the designers so I've got a pretty decent idea of costs and so on. Turnaround time is six weeks max - but less depending on the time of year. Obviously the gear they provide is the same quality as the retail (for hoodies and polos and the like). Not really that keen to list their prices here but happy to pass on info if required. I couldn't speak highly enough of them. They may be a couple of dollars more than a smaller supplier but we sell more off-field gear than before because it's a brand name that people know.

Thanks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

but we sell more off-field gear than before because it's a brand name that people know.
I don't see how that works at club level.

Like, surely people aren't buying your kit just because it's ISC.
If someone wanted a hoodie from their footy club, they'd buy it even if it was shoddily hand sewn by the under 13 d's coaches Nan.

You're NEAFL, though, aren't you?
I guess you'd probably sell more off-field kit to the general public, but to players from juniors up, surely they'd be buying the kit no matter who makes it.

ISC do the gear for my club - I'm responsible for purchasing and working with the designers so I've got a pretty decent idea of costs and so on. Turnaround time is six weeks max - but less depending on the time of year. Obviously the gear they provide is the same quality as the retail (for hoodies and polos and the like). Not really that keen to list their prices here but happy to pass on info if required. I couldn't speak highly enough of them. They may be a couple of dollars more than a smaller supplier but we sell more off-field gear than before because it's a brand name that people know.
whats ur club?

We don't sell much to the public (if you exclude old boys). Maybe a few items a year.

It's easier to sell an ISC hoodie for $60 and say that's the same quality as a Swans one you'd pay $90 for than it is to sell a brand nobody has heard of. When we were with our previous supplier/s I could barely sell anything. I agree it shouldn't make much of a difference but it has been noticeable.

You're NEAFL, though, aren't you?
I guess you'd probably sell more off-field kit to the general public, but to players from juniors up, surely they'd be buying the kit no matter who makes it.

Would love to have the luxury of being able to go with ISC, but in Country Victoria all clubs needs to have on field gear provided by a licensed provider. Only have the choice of CGR, Loco and TWP. They're might be a 4th but I can't remember.

Can't fault CGR though, they're stuff is pretty decent I must say.

Would love to have the luxury of being able to go with ISC, but in Country Victoria all clubs needs to have on field gear provided by a licensed provider. Only have the choice of CGR, Loco and TWP. They're might be a 4th but I can't remember.

Can't fault CGR though, they're stuff is pretty decent I must say.

Similar issue in the Adelaide Footy League (SAAFL). We can only choose between a handful of licenced suppliers. It's the biggest load of s**t to be honest.

Similar issue in the Adelaide Footy League (SAAFL). We can only choose between a handful of licenced suppliers. It's the biggest load of s**t to be honest.
I think the Vic ammos were stuck with BLK for the last few years, but now have an option between Puma, ISC and someone else.

See bottom from a response from AFL Vic when I enquired about suppliers.

There's also a doc/pdf I came across mentioning the % of sales to go back to the league organisation.

My brother in-law was president for a club and they had a lot of issues with their supplier, delivery, sizing, colours etc,.,

With delivery schedule it would be difficult as all the clubs most likely put their orders in a month before the season starts and all suppliers are overwhelmed by trying to make all the orders on time.

Sanctions aren't pretty:

26.6 Sanction:
A sanction of up to $50 for a player wearing an incorrect uniform in each senior grade match, up to a maximum of $500 per team per match.
A sanction of up to $50 for any Umpire wearing an incorrect uniform in any match.
A sanction of up to $50 where an incorrect football is used in a senior grade match.
A sanction for non-compliance with this regulation by any other teams (including junior teams), Clubs or Leagues as determined by the AFL Victoria Country on a case by case basis, upon the recommendation by the AFL Victoria Country Football Manager or Area Manager or Football Development Manager. Any sanction shall be payable to AFL Victoria Country.”

--------------
We are actually about announce in the next few weeks the licensees for the next two-year period for our WorkSafe Victoria Country licensing program. After consultation with our key stakeholders and our own review of current licensees, we have decided to work with them in the first instance moving forward.

It is unlikely there will be any licensing vacancy at this late stage.

You are, however, more than welcome to contact metropolitan football leagues as they don’t fall under an overarching licensing program, and each run their own.

Lastly you mentioned women’s clubs and their guernseys below – please note all female competitions are affiliated either with the VWFL, or with their local league in country Victoria, and are therefore bound by those current licensing arrangements.

------------

See bottom from a response from AFL Vic when I enquired about suppliers.

There's also a doc/pdf I came across mentioning the % of sales to go back to the league organisation.

My brother in-law was president for a club and they had a lot of issues with their supplier, delivery, sizing, colours etc,.,

With delivery schedule it would be difficult as all the clubs most likely put their orders in a month before the season starts and all suppliers are overwhelmed by trying to make all the orders on time.

Sanctions aren't pretty:

26.6 Sanction:
A sanction of up to $50 for a player wearing an incorrect uniform in each senior grade match, up to a maximum of $500 per team per match.
A sanction of up to $50 for any Umpire wearing an incorrect uniform in any match.
A sanction of up to $50 where an incorrect football is used in a senior grade match.
A sanction for non-compliance with this regulation by any other teams (including junior teams), Clubs or Leagues as determined by the AFL Victoria Country on a case by case basis, upon the recommendation by the AFL Victoria Country Football Manager or Area Manager or Football Development Manager. Any sanction shall be payable to AFL Victoria Country.”

--------------
We are actually about announce in the next few weeks the licensees for the next two-year period for our WorkSafe Victoria Country licensing program. After consultation with our key stakeholders and our own review of current licensees, we have decided to work with them in the first instance moving forward.

It is unlikely there will be any licensing vacancy at this late stage.

You are, however, more than welcome to contact metropolitan football leagues as they don’t fall under an overarching licensing program, and each run their own.

Lastly you mentioned women’s clubs and their guernseys below – please note all female competitions are affiliated either with the VWFL, or with their local league in country Victoria, and are therefore bound by those current licensing arrangements.

------------

Please update us when they inevitably confirm the status quo

Anyone know who does a good price on custom rugby style jumpers?
Couple places u have found its looking to be $60-$80 each for an order of 50. Would of thought there would be somewhere who could do them for at least half that, or even cheaper.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back