London 2012 - Swimming Events

Remove this Banner Ad

Time for some good old fashioned, communist rule, talent identification, just in time for Rio.

"Hey you! Yeah you, the 14 year old girl with the size 13 feet & man sized hands, get in the pool & don't get out until its 2016 to board a plane to Brazil!!.... & here just take these "vitamin supplements" it will help your with your swimming technique, but don;t tell anyone ;)

it's disgraceful that we didn't have a swimmer in the 1500 final

its disgraceful that a country's self esteem hangs on some splashing in the pool for 15 minutes and 15 hundred metres

disgraceful is hyperbole

unAustralian, as euphemism, tells more about ourselves that the supposed criticism. It shines a light on the common behaviour that is usually too easy to sweep under the rug, when the rug fails to cover = unAustralian. Persian rugs, and Afghan rugs, not doing their job in this age

Time for some good old fashioned, communist rule, talent identification, just in time for Rio.

"Hey you! Yeah you, the 14 year old girl with the size 13 feet & man sized hands, get in the pool & don't get out until its 2016 to board a plane to Brazil!!.... & here just take these "vitamin supplements" it will help your with your swimming technique, but don;t tell anyone ;)

:D

bout to post in the SRP subforum. But I like your style Fish.

Nick Green - DÁrcy and Monk were "released into the care of their family"
Joh"n Coates - urged Swimming Australia "to have a look at themselves

:D

Joh"n Coates - urged Swimming Australia "to have a look at themselves

Poor old John Coates. He always gets his quotes poorly reported, or he really is a dick of the highest order. Because our super-elite athletes at the highest level get beaten by some other super-elite athletes from another country in an event that happens once every 4 years, he says we should modify our education system.

###############
THE president of the Australian Olympic Committee, John Coates, has urged Australian swimming to ''have a look at themselves'' and has blamed the federal government's failure to introduce compulsory school sport in the wake of Australia's disappointing London Olympics campaign, its worst performance since the 1988 Seoul Games.

#####################

Mr Coates said he was also concerned only nine sports were expected to produce medals for Australia before the London Games, compared with 19 in Sydney and 14 in Athens and Beijing.

#########################

We should stop all those little kids wasting their time playing Football and netball. This is Not About Fun! We should force 10,000 kids into sports they don't want to do, so half-a-dozen of them can win a gold medal.

I've been looking at those Medal Tables that show medals per population,GDP, investment etc, and had a thought. it would probably be cool to have be the country that spends the MOST money on sport and has the LEAST olympic medals. That probably means all those tax dollars are going into grass-roots, local, get-out-there-and-have-fun sports, rather than just some elite science labs designed to produce a handful of 'Champions'.

###############
THE president of the Australian Olympic Committee, John Coates, has urged Australian swimming to ''have a look at themselves'' and has blamed the federal government's failure to introduce compulsory school sport in the wake of Australia's disappointing London Olympics campaign, its worst performance since the 1988 Seoul Games.

#####################

The federal government should have minimal involvemnet with schools. Give the states decent income tax revenue and they can look after schools properly. The bloody constitution doesn't give the feds any power over schools. So they give these tied grants, because they have most of the tax revenue so they can be seen to be doing something, despite not employing one teacher!

Don't worry about 14 y/o or pools. Just make sure your avatar makes it to Rio in 2016!

Poor old John Coates. He always gets his quotes poorly reported, or he really is a dick of the highest order. Because our super-elite athletes at the highest level get beaten by some other super-elite athletes from another country in an event that happens once every 4 years, he says we should modify our education system.

#########################

We should stop all those little kids wasting their time playing Football and netball. This is Not About Fun! We should force 10,000 kids into sports they don't want to do, so half-a-dozen of them can win a gold medal.

I've been looking at those Medal Tables that show medals per population,GDP, investment etc, and had a thought. it would probably be cool to have be the country that spends the MOST money on sport and has the LEAST olympic medals. That probably means all those tax dollars are going into grass-roots, local, get-out-there-and-have-fun sports, rather than just some elite science labs designed to produce a handful of 'Champions'.

Obviously the whole Olympic failure is going to be made a big deal in Aus. The trouble is that elite sport and performance at the Olympics isn't really about the sport and certainly not about fun, it's about a whole stack of other stuff for the 'nation.' The IOC must love how countries get in such a tizzie over something that is basically run for profit by a multi-national and dodgy corporation.

its disgraceful that a country's self esteem hangs on some splashing in the pool for 15 minutes and 15 hundred metres

disgraceful is hyperbole

unAustralian, as euphemism, tells more about ourselves that the supposed criticism. It shines a light on the common behaviour that is usually too easy to sweep under the rug, when the rug fails to cover = unAustralian. Persian rugs, and Afghan rugs, not doing their job in this age

sweep it under the carpet hey. just like they have swept under the carpet that our best coaches are coaching overseas talent while ours are being treated like chumps

(Log in to remove this ad.)

disgraceful is hyperbole

Alot of Australians are built on the opinion that good news comes from what your footy team does on the weekend, because theres not much to write home about in their own lives

But then again, thats human nature in general

*checks to see if I have my bulletproof vest on*

it's disgraceful that we didn't have a swimmer in the 1500 final

Only a matter of time. There is a 15 yr old boy from Melbourne Vic centre who will be in the 1500m final at Rio, and he will give it a big shake. Also a quality 400m and 200m swimmer. Watch out for him in the coming years.

*watches the synchronised swimming*

I dont get it!

i cant believe they are competing against each other?!

Sure the photography is great and all, but the objective of the sport is very blurry

I watched it. Not sure of the rules, but the commentators and the Herald Sun basically were saying we were robbed. Is this true?
Hmmm - Herald Sun knowledge of Water polo - basically nil. Herald Sun interest in presenting a fair and balanced viewpoint - nil.

Maybe we did get the rough end of the pineapple (I would not have a clue), but I definitely wouldn't rely on the Hun.

Hmmm - Herald Sun knowledge of Water polo - basically nil. Herald Sun interest in presenting a fair and balanced viewpoint - nil.

Maybe we did get the rough end of the pineapple (I would not have a clue), but I definitely wouldn't rely on the Hun.
Yeah, I know. But the commentators also said it at the time. I also wouldn't have a clue, so was wondering whether anyone could enlighten me

Melissa Gorman is a live medal chance in the 10km swim tonight, and while it's probably one of the worst TV sports of the games (arms and legs splashing for an hour or so) I won't be arguing if she gets a medal.:)

Melissa Gorman is a live medal chance in the 10km swim tonight, and while it's probably one of the worst TV sports of the games (arms and legs splashing for an hour or so) I won't be arguing if she gets a medal.:)

Just flicked over & saw this about to start. How long has this been an Olympic sport? Never knew it even existed...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back