London 2012 Tennis

Remove this Banner Ad

wow these olympics are unbelievable for Murray. Beats the joker and fed to win gold?

Soak it up poms, because youll never have another olympics like these ones.

Come on man, what about the Scots? We make up only 10% of team GB yet have won 6 of the 16 gold medals. Give us some love too!

Well after a slow start the Brits are winning everywhere. Saw the first few games of the 2nd set and Federer looked like he was trying to me. I reckon who ever lost Wimbeldon was going to give it their all to win 3 weeks later.

What would you rather have, a gold medal you have for the rest of your life, or a wimbeldon title and a little replica trophy?? I know you want both but if you could chose, which one?

Wimbledon easily, it's also a lot tougher to win. Best out of 5 sets, 128 players.
ATP Ranking Points: 2000 for Wimbledon, it varies from 1100 to 1500 for the winner of the ATP World Tour Finals, 1000 for Masters 1000, and then 750 points for the Olympics. All point for a win of course.

The prize money for Wimbledon is $1.8 Million, where there is no prize money for any event in the Olympics. They may get payment from their countries as a reward if they do well.

I personally would rather win a Grand Slam Tournament or ATP World Tour Finals... then a gold in the Men's Olympic tennis final. Mind you, all 3 are extremely tough to win.

Wimbledon >>>>> Olympic gold. People hardly remember gold medal winners in tennis.
Yup.

I also think that it would be more important to Federer if he didn't have the gold from Beijing in doubles. The doubles gold may not mean much when considering his tennis career, but then the Olympics isn't an important title in a tennis context anyway. Players want to win it because of the general prestige of being an Olympic Champion, and in an Olympic context gold is gold.

Federer has got his gold medal for his country, and stood on the top of the dais and heard the Swiss anthem played. In an Olympic sense, he's ticked off that accomplishment. The fact he hasn't got the singles Golden Slam probably doesn't matter a whole lot to him. People won't regard him as a lesser tennis player because of it.

Winning Olympic gold is a bit like winning the Preliminary Final. It's a great feeling/big achievement, but then you lose the more important one the next week. (Murray hasn't won a grand slam tournament yet). Best example I could think of at this time of the night.

Federer hasn't lost in straight sets to a player other than Djokovic or Nadal since Kuerten at Roland Garros in 2004.
It's been 8 years.
Still hurts that Federer lost, particular in straight sets.

Federer didn't play great, but the criticism of Murray has always been:

a) he can't beat Federer/Nadal/Murray in five set matches
b) he chokes on big occasions when the pressure is on

He comprehensively disproved both those things today. In particular, serving 3 of his 5 aces consecutively in his last service game to close out the match was ice cold.

I imagine the betting for him to win the USO has just shortened significantly.

Federer didn't play great, but the criticism of Murray has always been:

a) he can't beat Federer/Nadal/Murray in five set matches
b) he chokes on big occasions when the pressure is on

He comprehensively disproved both those things today. In particular, serving 3 of his 5 aces consecutively in his last service game to close out the match was ice cold.

I imagine the betting for him to win the USO has just shortened significantly.

You mean Djokovic. :) That win should give Murray a huge confidence booster. He beat both Djokovic and Federer. I doubt he would beat Nadal. I just don't know what happened to Federer today, his break point conv. were 0/9.
Djokovic even lost to Del Potro, that's even a bigger shock.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, it's late. Murray plays better against Nadal on fast courts than he does against either Federer or Djokovic, so I am not sure I agree with your assessment.

I'm not that surprised Djokovic lost to Del Potro. He already has Olympic Bronze. He was here for gold, can't imagine motivation would have been too high after that demoralising defeat to Murray.

Wimbledon >>>>> Olympic gold. People hardly remember gold medal winners in tennis.

Yep exactly why tennis should not be an olympic sport.

A gold medal in your sport should be the ultimate, clearly not the case in Tennis.

Also do they count South African medals in team GB's total ?

Maybe on the hard courts. Nadal has beaten Murray more times than any other professional tennis player. Nadal 13 wins to Murray's 5. Nadal beat Murray 5-1 last year. Nadal is 4-0 on clay, 3-0 on Grass but only 6-5 on hard courts which is surprising.
Federer V Murray = Federer trails Murray 8-9. Federer has only played Murray once on grass which was Wimbledon last month. The rest are on hard courts were Murray leads 8-7.

Who knows how Murray keeps on beating Federer over the years. (Federer did have a 3 match winning streak/6 out of the last 8 before tonight).

Congrats for Andy, Im sorry about Federer, this is the perfect chance to become an immortal legend.

I'm just wondering, did tennis leave the Olympics when it became an "open" sport (i.e. professionals and amateurs could play in the same competition)? I'm pretty sure the advent of the soccer wolrd cup was because professionals couldn't participate in hte Olympics or something to that effect.
Anyway a gold medal is always nice, but it is just not the pinnacle of tennis. Dementieva won gold in Beijing, but I'm pretty sure everyone remembers the fact that the she never won a GS, more than she actually won gold.

If Murray could maintain that sort of performance in the slams he'd win a slam sooner rather than later.

The reason Murray hasnt won a slam is not down to a lack of ability to pull out performances like the medal match, its 100% to do with the grey matter between his ears.

Murray is about the only Brit I've cheered for these games, my wife is Scottish and loves him, but he is more mentally weak than Stosur. I honestly dont think he'll ever win a slam.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back