Speculation Luke Davies-Uniacke (RFA 2025)

Remove this Banner Ad

Would just be a perfect fit in our midfield and we’ll have the cap space to get it done next year.

I think in the next 2-3 years we’ll be targeting quite a few elite free agents (as confirmed by Jeff Browne) and LDU would be at the top of my list.
what cap space? De Goey, Moore and both Diacos would be on very good money then you have Hill, Schultz, Elliot, Crisp, Maynard, McStay, Mihocek and Quaynor would all be on decent money. Taking out Sidebottom, Murphy and Pendles slary wouldn't make a dent in what would be needed to lure LDU to the Pies. plus DeMattia will need to be paid if the hype is real.

Only problem is Lobb is a trash player, I would want Bulldogs to take all his salary if he came to the Saints.
That's a pipe dream no club does that deal. Multiple clubs want Lobb and he is only on around League average. Decent 2nd round pick would probably be enough, although would be dependent on what happens with English

That's a pipe dream no club does that deal. Multiple clubs want Lobb and he is only on around League average. Decent 2nd round pick would probably be enough, although would be dependent on what happens with English
How many no impact/no possession games has he had while at the dogs? I doubt a team gives up a 2nd round for him and if the Saints did, I would stop barracking for them.

They are not getting those gun 25-27 year old players. They should be targeting unrestricted free agents from successful clubs with player/coaching gigs.
Jack Graham (very successful program got 4 years +)
Scott Pendlebury (2 years could be more at North)
Taylor Walker (got a couple of years)
Travis Boak.

North need on field leadership from successful clubs. Most of these players at their current clubs don't have anything to prove. But at North they could have a big leadership impact and enhance their future coaching aspirations.
I agree that we aren't getting any guns in their prime. But three cooked guns and slow battler, they won't help. FWIW, we have been bringing in players like these and it hasn't shifted the dial - Liam Shiels, Hugh Greenwood, Darcy Tucker, Dylan Stephens, etc.

It is amazing how many of these helpful suggestions involve us losing our best players and getting back fringe players and senior citizens. It is as if some don't really have our best interests in mind. Of the players that we have brought in over the last three years, the three that have had the most positive affect on our performances have been Sheezel, Wardlaw and McKercher. What do these guys have in common? Could it be exactly what everyone keeps telling us we don't need?

Last edited:
I agree that we aren't getting any guns in their prime. But three cooked guns and slow battler, they won't help. FWIW, we have been bringing in players like these and it hasn't shifted the dial - Liam Shiels, Hugh Greenwood, Darcy Tucker, Dylan Stephens, etc.

It is amazing how many of these helpful suggestions involve us losing our best players and getting back fringe players and senior citizens. It is as if some don't really have our best interests in mind. Of the players that we have brought in over the last three years, the three that have had the most positive affect on our performances have been Sheezel, Wardlaw and McKercher. What do these guys have in common? Could it be exactly what everyone keeps telling us we don't need?
They are RFAs or UFAs you wouldn't lose anyone for them. Yes some maybe cooked, but you are missing their leadership both on and off the track. They would drive expectations. Greenwood, Tucker, Stepgens etc haven't seen much success and I believe they didn't have leadership positions. You need that Luke Hodge type (maybe more then one). Anyway getting off topic.

Maybe your club shouldn't have gutted themselves. poor old kangas don't apply when your own front office did this to you.

They are RFAs or UFAs you wouldn't lose anyone for them. Yes some maybe cooked, but you are missing their leadership both on and off the track. They would drive expectations. Greenwood, Tucker, Stepgens etc haven't seen much success and I believe they didn't have leadership positions. You need that Luke Hodge type (maybe more then one). Anyway getting off topic.
I understand the argument, and it isn't without merit, but I think Liam Shiels already is that type. He wasn't a star, but would have as high or higher standards on the track as the players you've mentioned. Another wouldn't hurt, if they come for the right reasons, but I don't think it should be a focus.

North has a massive hole in its list of quality players in their prime. The only real solution to it is time and not losing the quality players we have.

I don’t think north should be trading away LDU at all as he’s worth more to keep, but you definitely should be bringing in older leaders and overpaying them cap wise because a) you can afford it and b) you are devoid of senior leadership.

How many no impact/no possession games has he had while at the dogs? I doubt a team gives up a 2nd round for him and if the Saints did, I would stop barracking for them.
He is a 3rd Banana at Dogs so not surprisingly he has some quiet games. Multiple clubs chasing won't be less than a second to let him go. Saints are touted as one of the clubs needing another tall target to support Max King. We will see at trade time how it plays out.

I don’t think north should be trading away LDU at all as he’s worth more to keep, but you definitely should be bringing in older leaders and overpaying them cap wise because a) you can afford it and b) you are devoid of senior leadership.
We should definitely keep Luke if we can. Regarding the senior players, we made a significant mistake when Brad Scott decided we should let go all our senior leaders at once. However, I'm not convinced you can just bring them in from outside and get the results you are after. The player needs to be selfless and genuinely want to improve the club for it to work. We can't be someone's retirement plan.

We should definitely keep Luke if we can. Regarding the senior players, we made a significant mistake when Brad Scott decided we should let go all our senior leaders at once. However, I'm not convinced you can just bring them in from outside and get the results you are after. The player needs to be selfless and genuinely want to improve the club for it to work. We can't be someone's retirement plan.

Thats what I mean though, you need genuine leaders who will improve you. When I say overpay I don't mean give them an easy last few years, its more overpay because they won't have amazing onfield production but they'll help your culture a ton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is a 3rd Banana at Dogs so not surprisingly he has some quiet games. Multiple clubs chasing won't be less than a second to let him go. Saints are touted as one of the clubs needing another tall target to support Max King. We will see at trade time how it plays out.
He looks like a free to a good home type to me. 32 next year on 500+ K salary with a 2 year contract playing mostly in the VFL. He hasnt done much since his freemantle days and he might not have what it takes any more. I would be asking for either a draft pick or some of his salary to be payed by the Dogs.

Thats what I mean though, you need genuine leaders who will improve you. When I say overpay I don't mean give them an easy last few years, its more overpay because they won't have amazing onfield production but they'll help your culture a ton.
its a pretty useful tool to hit cap floor without having to pay rookies more than what their output demands which can lead to other issues

brisbane pretty famously paid hodge a 7 figure sum in his first season not only to make it worth his while to move interstate, but to ensure that we werent forced to overpay our 19-24 year olds due to cap floor.

its a pretty useful tool to hit cap floor without having to pay rookies more than what their output demands which can lead to other issues

brisbane pretty famously paid hodge a 7 figure sum in his first season not only to make it worth his while to move interstate, but to ensure that we werent forced to overpay our 19-24 year olds due to cap floor.

Yep, Melbourne did the same thing with Vince, Lewis and Cross. None of those guys were ever going to play in our next premiership side but they all played a part in helping make the club a strong one again.

He looks like a free to a good home type to me. 32 next year on 500+ K salary with a 2 year contract playing mostly in the VFL. He hasnt done much since his freemantle days and he might not have what it takes any more. I would be asking for either a draft pick or some of his salary to be payed by the Dogs.
The type of player Lobb is there isn't a lot of them about which pushes up the value somewhat. 500k is about average or probably less with Cap increases. In contract so if clubs want to prise him out they will have to give something up.
I reckon something in the second round but we will see how it actually goes

what cap space? De Goey, Moore and both Diacos would be on very good money then you have Hill, Schultz, Elliot, Crisp, Maynard, McStay, Mihocek and Quaynor would all be on decent money. Taking out Sidebottom, Murphy and Pendles slary wouldn't make a dent in what would be needed to lure LDU to the Pies. plus DeMattia will need to be paid if the hype is real.

I’ll happily consider your post an obvious troll like others. The only ones that would be considered big money contracts at the club are Nick, Moore and to a lesser extent DeGoey.

None of the others you have listed would be taking up substantial cap space. Heck Elliott and Mihochek are OOC at the end of next year and will be 50/50 to retire or otherwise be on year to year contracts.

Even the media has acknowledged we will have plenty of money to attack free agency in the next couple of years. (Howe, Sidebottom, Pendles, Murphy, Treloar money gone etc etc)

Your comment re: DeMattia pretty much illustrates how much of a troll (or wishful thinking) your post was.

Last edited:
The type of player Lobb is there isn't a lot of them about which pushes up the value somewhat. 500k is about average or probably less with Cap increases. In contract so if clubs want to prise him out they will have to give something up.
I reckon something in the second round but we will see how it actually goes
He is a bit like Grundy last year. Lobb is taking up a lot of salary for a VFL player (between 500-700k would be my guess) and he has next to no value for the Dogs (Darcy, UH and Naughton make him redundant). For another team he is potentially useful, however his age (32 next year), salary, contract and his lack of consistent form make him a risk.
The Dogs getting rid of him is a no-brainer. The cap space frees up cap for English, Smith, an up and comer, or at worst a free agent or to front load someone. He is not generally getting a game next year and he is not a young improving player.
Because of this I see the best pick the Dogs would get would be a token 3rd. At worst the Dogs pay some of his salary or even give up something to not pay any of his salary. But I might be clueless. Like you said we will see how it actually goes.

I would say he’s 0% leaving this year and about a 20% chance to leave next year. Strikes me as a pretty loyal guy
Really? I would say he's 20% to go this year and 80% to go next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back