moses

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Home
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
Hypothetical question. If you were in charge of the AFL rules committee and could make one change this season (which would come into imediate effect), what would it be?

For me - bye bye sub rule.

i wouldn't call getting rid of the sub making a new rule, It's more like deleting a silly one.

If i could change one rule it would be to make the push in the back only applicable when a player is either being tackled, or in the act of kicking or on a lead.

A Push in the back in a marking contest of strength should be A'okay in my opinion. Its not dangerous and it rewards the player with better body positioning and strength,

High contact is only awarded a free kick outside of tackling situations.

eg. If Selwood ducks no free kick is awarded but if Vickery forearms someone in the face a free kick is awarded.

The amount of accidental 'over the shoulder' frees and 'leading with the head' frees given has made footy incredibly frustrating to watch.

eg. If Selwood ducks no free kick is awarded but if Vickery forearms someone in the face a free kick is awarded.

The amount of accidental 'over the shoulder' frees and 'leading with the head' frees given has made footy incredibly frustrating to watch.

This.

It will also reduce headhigh collisions because the players will not be rewarded for going head first into tackles.

RIP players who put their head over the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should a ball bounce off the goal or point post above a height of 3m and fall back into the field of play, another ball shall be thrown into the field of play at the opposite end of the ground. The player of the team which first gains possession of ball at either end of the field must then pass the ball to a teammate (by either kick or handpass) before that player can then attempt to score or pass to another player.

If the player on the team that wins possession successfully and disposes to a teammate is on the same team of the player that successfully won possession and disposed to a teammate at the alternate end of the ground, both balls are now active in play but play is reset when a goal or behind is scored. If the opposing teams each successfully gain possession of the ball at their scoring end and dispose the ball to a teammate, the race is on to make the first score.

Should a successful mark be taken by either team whilst 2 balls are in active play then the other ball is now dead and normal play is resumed. If a turnover occurs, both balls remain in play until a successful mark is taken or a player is caught holding the ball/making an illegal disposal.

In the instance of a rushed behind, the score is counted however the ball at the alternate end of the ground remains in play.

Last edited:
I am a huge fan of the if the ball hits the post and comes back into play its play on rule. So I'd make that rule happen.

If this rule was put in place, would you have it count as a goal if it shaves or hits the goal post but still goes through the goal posts? Just curious. I was once an advocate of the rule you've mentioned but I've slowly moved away from it over the past few years, reckon it would change the game too much personally.

I'd probably do away with the 'in the back' during a tackle to be honest. Too many good tackles often get given in the back because of the slightest pressure in the wrong spot, which is often unavoidable anyway as players being tackled still drop the knees or fall straight into the turf.

Obviously you'd have to be wary of players putting all their force into a player's back if this rule change occurred, but they could at the very least make it a bit more lenient so only the most vicious in-the-back tackles get penalised.

If this rule was put in place, would you have it count as a goal if it shaves or hits the goal post but still goes through the goal posts? Just curious. I was once an advocate of the rule you've mentioned but I've slowly moved away from it over the past few years, reckon it would change the game too much personally.
It's an interesting one. I think I'd eliminate the point for hitting the post all together, if it ends up going through for goal its a goal. It would solve a lot of issue we have today with the goal ump being to afraid to make the call without a replay.

Have a choice from 3 for the sub. So 3 on the bench and a sub from a choice of 3. Can make some more tactical choices for the game by having a defender, mid, forward etc.

I'd like the umpires to throw the ball up around the ground really quickly but also that a free kick should be paid to a player who is held on the ground and unable to contest that ball up, such as a player being used to push off when the tackler is standing back up.

I want the game to go quicker but coaches will tackle the key play makers and have them on the ground for the next stoppage by round two if that's the only change.

The alternative rule change would be to remove the protection for the third man going up in the ruck from being blocked. You're either the ruck, or you're risking being blocked going up for the jump.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back