Rules Is there a rule preventing an AFL club having a past-player adopt a gun rookie to make them eligible for father-son?

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely no chance the afl allow it. On the other hand, I never would have believed your club would have been allowed to publicly and openly rort the salary cap by paying a player 400 thousand dollars outside of the cap.

So maybe if North tried it they would be allowed.

It was discussed about a decade ago, I think it was John Platten who had a son running around in TAC Cup. The AFL confirmed that a F/S must be biological and it caused a minor stir from people saying what about the adopted children!!

There’ll be a thread here somewhere.

In any case it’d be treated on individual merits you’d think.

And legal adoption isn’t just a case of saying “I’m adopting so and so”, it’s a major process before the child and the new parents are even eligible.

It’d be pretty obvious if it was being done in some weird draft tampering attempt. When would it be done? When does a kid start showing footy ability? Age 10? Doesn’t mean he’s worth doing all this for in the hope he’d be good at 18.

It was discussed about a decade ago, I think it was John Platten who had a son running around in TAC Cup. The AFL confirmed that a F/S must be biological and it caused a minor stir from people saying what about the adopted children!!

I don't actually agree with that. I think if the kid has been adopted for lets say a decade then they should be eligible for the F/S.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Fabian Francis played 100 AFL games for Port, could they have gotten Jason Horne Francis under father-son?
No because Fabian is not JHF's biological father. However, Fabian Francis Jr, Jason Horne-Francis' half brother, would have been F/S eligible for Port if Fabian Sr had played 100 games for Port's AFL side. Although being indigenous and living in Adelaide may make Fabian Jr eligible to join Port's NGA instead. JHF's half sister Phebe is F/D eligible for Port, Brisbane and Melbourne.

I don't know if it's written down - but the AFL has clarified in the past (2012) that Father Son is only for biological children. In recent years they said they'd play it case-by-case, but there hasn't been anyone to test the waters.

Given how adoption rates have decreased dramatically over the years (I guess less stigma about single parents, unwed mothers, etc.), we probably won't see this be an issue.

Didn’t someone from Geelong maybe Bob Davis say he’d adopt Luke Hodge? Pretty sure the AFL would put a stop to it.
Yep, Bob Davis wanted to adopt a 15 year old Hodge with the idea of getting him to the Cats. Davis was in his 70s at this point lol

Wasn't there an issue a few years back about one of our former players having an illegitimate kid who he didn't acknowledge who wanted to nominate under father/son?

If it goes by biological fathers I wonder what would happen if a player became a registered sperm donor

or as a thought experiment

Player A - sperm donor

Player B - non biological Father of player conceived with the sperm of player A via ivf

Both player’s in the thought experiment have played 100 games for different clubs

Would the son be given the right to nominate between two different clubs or if not who what club would have preference as a father son candidate

Will probably never happen but interesting thought experiment all the same

As a TC survivor and now very unlikely to conceive a child naturally maybe I should start enquiring about any gun tigers players becoming a donor for my future child :moustache:

Not sure but that would be a horrible reason to adopt someone.

Nope. Port Adelaide and Adelaide don't get access to indigenous players from metropolitan Adelaide. Only those from regional South Australia.
Are you sure? This link on the AFL website suggests otherwise...
"The West Australian and South Australian clubs pushed for access to metropolitan Indigenous players to be added to their NGA zones and won approval for that two years ago in 2019."
An example of this played out in the 2021 draft when Fremantle had NGA access to South Fremantle local Jesse Motlop if no bid came through before pick 40. Carlton swooped with pick 27 but he would have otherwise been eligible to be NGA drafted to the Dockers. So as long as JHF's family lives in Port's metropolitan zone and the rule doesn't change, then they should get NGA access to JHF's half brother Fabian Francis Jr.

I suspect a quiet advertisement to all athletic female surporters of Collingwood/Port/Eagles etc to have unprotected and carefully timed sex with players who have played 100+ games for the team with the intent of producing illegitimate biological offspring for later F/s draft purposes would play poorly with the relevant committee?

The players would of course acknowlge the children and the clubs would assist with the raising of the child (to assist with the work/life balance of the player of course) and free jumpers to the children up to the point where said child demonstrated that they would not be AFL worthy.

Hmm I wonder how they would quantify this under the cap for long term players or would it just be considered a fringe benefit ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back