Roast Rule changes

Remove this Banner Ad

docko911

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
As we sit back and watch the abomination that is St Kilda v North it is clear as day the channel 7 rule changes have not had the desired impact on scoring that SHocking and his compadres supposedly wanted.

Can we please have the old rules back? In particular get rid of stand, 666 and the excessive space allowed for kick-ins.

It’s obvious coaches and poor skill (caused by spreading the talent pool too thin) are to blame for low scoring.

tumblr_py9c3wCH6i1wu1zhco1_400.gif

I like 666, as mentioned above, it keeps close finishes more exciting and keeps games "open" for longer. ie. a team doesn't get 40 points up and then just flood defence when the other team gets a sniff of a comeback going.

I hate the stand rule. It's an absolute joke to see a player standing still watching as a guy with the ball runs past him. But what I hate the most is the inconsistency on how quickly the umpires call play on after they've gone off their line. Sometimes they're super hot on it and call it immediately, other times they call it so late.

I understand why it's brought in, and I think better could be achieved by enforcing faster restart of play. ie. player marks the ball, then opponent hugs him for 5 seconds for no reason, then finally lets go. Or player gets pinged HTB, so he proceeds to sit on the ball, then gets accidentally tangled in the kickers arms and legs and eventually gets out of the way 20 seconds later.

Change the rule - if you get pinged HTB, it is YOUR responsibility to return the ball to the tackler immediately. Doesn't matter if the ball is no longer in your hands, pick it up and return it. The tackler can choose to retrieve the ball themselves, and if it results in a tangle, then they suffer the delay. But if they bounce up and get to the top of their mark and they haven't had the ball returned yet, then it's 50. The tangles occur because one guys trying to get the ball, and the other is trying to keep it in. Take the one trying to get it out, out of the equation and it suddenly becomes a bloke on the ball by himself. Only caveat is of course if the ball has been disposed of and is now 5m away with nobody on it - in whcih case it's the old rule of kicking teams responsibility.

Any player deliberately slowing access to the ball will concede a 50.

Removing these deliberate ploys to slow down play will make the game much faster and better to watch than the stand rule that just looks so bad.

One other rule i'd like to see changed, and I know it won't be popular. Chopping the arms. It never gets called in the middle of the ground unless it's a complete chop interference. But in the 50m arc, even slight contact to the arm gets pinged. I'd love to give the defenders a bit more of a chance in the contest and stop seeing them getting pinged for an incidental arm over the shoulder or minor contact to the arm. Yes, if you chop the arm completely, then it's free. If you slow down most defensive spoils, there's always an element of arm over the shoulder/bit of the arm etc. - but umpires randomly pluck ones out of nowhere with minor contact.

I like 666, as mentioned above, it keeps close finishes more exciting and keeps games "open" for longer. ie. a team doesn't get 40 points up and then just flood defence when the other team gets a sniff of a comeback going.

I hate the stand rule. It's an absolute joke to see a player standing still watching as a guy with the ball runs past him. But what I hate the most is the inconsistency on how quickly the umpires call play on after they've gone off their line. Sometimes they're super hot on it and call it immediately, other times they call it so late.

I understand why it's brought in, and I think better could be achieved by enforcing faster restart of play. ie. player marks the ball, then opponent hugs him for 5 seconds for no reason, then finally lets go. Or player gets pinged HTB, so he proceeds to sit on the ball, then gets accidentally tangled in the kickers arms and legs and eventually gets out of the way 20 seconds later.

Change the rule - if you get pinged HTB, it is YOUR responsibility to return the ball to the tackler immediately. Doesn't matter if the ball is no longer in your hands, pick it up and return it. The tackler can choose to retrieve the ball themselves, and if it results in a tangle, then they suffer the delay. But if they bounce up and get to the top of their mark and they haven't had the ball returned yet, then it's 50. The tangles occur because one guys trying to get the ball, and the other is trying to keep it in. Take the one trying to get it out, out of the equation and it suddenly becomes a bloke on the ball by himself. Only caveat is of course if the ball has been disposed of and is now 5m away with nobody on it - in whcih case it's the old rule of kicking teams responsibility.

Any player deliberately slowing access to the ball will concede a 50.

Removing these deliberate ploys to slow down play will make the game much faster and better to watch than the stand rule that just looks so bad.

One other rule i'd like to see changed, and I know it won't be popular. Chopping the arms. It never gets called in the middle of the ground unless it's a complete chop interference. But in the 50m arc, even slight contact to the arm gets pinged. I'd love to give the defenders a bit more of a chance in the contest and stop seeing them getting pinged for an incidental arm over the shoulder or minor contact to the arm. Yes, if you chop the arm completely, then it's free. If you slow down most defensive spoils, there's always an element of arm over the shoulder/bit of the arm etc. - but umpires randomly pluck ones out of nowhere with minor contact.
In regards to the stand rule, I think they need to adjust the calling play on enforcement. The person standing the mark shouldn't have to wait for the umpire to call play on, once they are off, it's fair game to tackle. If they move before the kicker moved then it's 50.

It's such a farce that it's sometimes 50m when the player was off but the umpire didn't call it yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back