Malazan Book of the Fallen

Remove this Banner Ad

Had the first 3 books for quite a few years. Slogged through the first book but just couldn't persevere with the second. Keep thinking about going back and starting from the beginning again .... but...

Read The God is Not Willing and enjoyed it immensely. From not really digging it at the start to flying through it I was having so much fun reminded me of most of the main 10 books. The dialogue and sheer insanity of the Malazan Marines has always been my favourite part of the books and these new characters (minus Spindle) were spot on. I just hope Karsa is in the 2nd book as Erikson has said he may not show up until the 3rd.

Now I have started the Kharkanas books and I am enjoying Forge of Darkness so far.

135 pages into 9th book Dust of Dreams. Obviously liked the series enough to get this far. Do admire the author for deciding the style and stories he wants to tell and sticking to it. He could have written something more accessible that would have sold better. There's an authentic complexity to the world he's made in this.

That is not his style and he has said in the past that it was intentional.

Finally got around to putting a Booktopia order in so I'm going to be starting this again with physical books once they turn up.

I got up to Blood and Bone on Kindle but I really prefer reading actual books so looking forward to going back to the start and enjoying it all again

Read The God is Not Willing and enjoyed it immensely. From not really digging it at the start to flying through it I was having so much fun reminded me of most of the main 10 books. The dialogue and sheer insanity of the Malazan Marines has always been my favourite part of the books and these new characters (minus Spindle) were spot on. I just hope Karsa is in the 2nd book as Erikson has said he may not show up until the 3rd.

Now I have started the Kharkanas books and I am enjoying Forge of Darkness so far.
Oh, thanks for the heads up. Just had a look at the God is Not Willing. Will have to add it to my reading list.

Having said that looking at the Malazan Wiki i'm really confused to what i've actually read. I know i've read the Malzan Book of the Fallen series, the Novels of the Malazan Empire, but unsure if have read any of the Path to Ascendacy or the Kharkanas Trilogy. Will try the first book of each, will pick up pretty quickly if have read previously.

Oh, thanks for the heads up. Just had a look at the God is Not Willing. Will have to add it to my reading list.

Having said that looking at the Malazan Wiki i'm really confused to what i've actually read. I know i've read the Malzan Book of the Fallen series, the Novels of the Malazan Empire, but unsure if have read any of the Path to Ascendacy or the Kharkanas Trilogy. Will try the first book of each, will pick up pretty quickly if have read previously.

Definitely give The God is Not Willing a go. It is helped by it not being as long as most Malazan books so it is easy to binge read.

Found the series hard to get into, but once in, it really gets you. Would be interesting doing a re-read of Gardens of the Moon and see if it makes more sense / is easier to get into with the foreknowledge of the rest of the series.

It probably will be. One of the main complaints is that Erikson just drops you into the world with no information about what the hell is going on and then proceeds to drip feed information. Having that knowledge will make things a lot easier. I didn't necessarily find it easier on a re-read but I didn't find it difficult the first time around. Things just made a lot more sense with the background information.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Memories of Ice finished.

For me an easier read than Deadhouse, not an easy book in content but closer to Gardens in pacing.

Tool and Toc, Kruppe is always good, Paran and Quick, ah Whiskeyjack

I've just started house of chains, our brief introduction to Trull and our real introduction to Karsa who we met unnamed in Deadhouse with Leoman.

I am absolutely loving the Kharkanas Trilogy and I would say it is essential reading for any Malazan fan. There is just so much backstory on the different races, events, and characters. Hell, even one of the biggest mysteries of the main books (who the hell is Ruthan Gudd) is supposed to be answered by the end of the trilogy although it is blindingly obvious after the first book.

There isn't the action of Malazan but if you like the politics and philosophy then this will be right up your alley.

I am absolutely loving the Kharkanas Trilogy and I would say it is essential reading for any Malazan fan. There is just so much backstory on the different races, events, and characters. Hell, even one of the biggest mysteries of the main books (who the hell is Ruthan Gudd) is supposed to be answered by the end of the trilogy although it is blindingly obvious after the first book.

There isn't the action of Malazan but if you like the politics and philosophy then this will be right up your alley.
Can't remember all the books I've read, but don't think read that series after a quick Google.

Did read the Ian Esslemont series Novels of the Malazan Empure, and that was great.

Can't remember all the books I've read, but don't think read that series after a quick Google.

Did read the Ian Esslemont series Novels of the Malazan Empure, and that was great.
I now have all of those books to complete, I was reading them while reading the main series in the suggested reading order and it worked well

I need to get back into reading this again I'm about a quarter through Midnight Tides, moved it when we had people over for dinner in September and forgot where I put it for a while

Finished 8th novel Toll the Hounds. Enjoyable return to Darujhistan after so long away. Could tell Erikson had suffered a death in the family.
I loved the Malazan series, but been a while since read.

Read the wiki on Toll the Hounds to referesh my memory. It did not help. It's like a different language. Toll the Hounds - Wikipedia

A few more years and might be up for a re-read if forgetting so much.

I loved the Malazan series, but been a while since read.

Read the wiki on Toll the Hounds to referesh my memory. It did not help. It's like a different language. Toll the Hounds - Wikipedia

A few more years and might be up for a re-read if forgetting so much.

Don't look it up on wiki. Look it up on the Malazan Wiki.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back