Mandatory Vaccinations And Medical Exemptions

Are you for or against Mandatory Vaccinations

• For

Votes: 292 57.4%
  • Against

Votes: 221 43.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

No. The news is the most mind numbing sh*t you can endure.

Because, as I said - I don't consider it news. It's just gossip, drama and scandal. It's basically like a gossip magazine for wannabe intellectuals.

Now sure what you mean by 'no angles'?
I’m thinking you work during the day so wouldn’t have the opportunity to watch tv?

No angles means just what’s happening.

If you believe all news is slanted and cannot be trusted - then where do you get your information on current events from?

A factual report on abc.net.au about new COVID restrictions from Mark McGowan is entirely different from Fox News' latest hot take on why Dr Fauci cannot be trusted as he's a Democrat plant. Do you not trust the former?

If you believe all news is slanted and cannot be trusted - then where do you get your information on current events from?

A factual report on abc.net.au about new COVID restrictions from Mark McGowan is entirely different from Fox News' latest hot take on why Dr Fauci cannot be trusted as he's a Democrat plant. Do you not trust the former?
A couple of points:

Firstly, Why do I need to know about 'current events'? And who is deciding what these current events are? And why?

Secondly, It's about awareness. It's about knowing that what you're hearing and seeing, is a 'current event' from a single perspective. And it's a perspective that is presented with the sole intention of stirring up emotion.

So if I'm interested in a 'current event', which I rarely am to be honest - I read about it to understand the high level detail. Even at a high level though, I'm acutely aware that although it may be factual accurate, it is one version of events, and just an angle on the events.

I went to Vietnam a few years ago, and their view on the 'Vietnam war' is vastly different from ours, funnily enough. They are the good guys, and we are the baddies.

I agree they're totally different.

As I've said earlier, Fox News is basically just opinions disguised as hard hitting, thought provoking journalism.

But do I 'trust' the ABC report? Not necessarily.

I'd go to the government website to get facts like that.

News outlets cherry pick parts of press conferences that they think are controversial or 'news worthy', and are incredibly vague about the actual details of things that are important. Because they're boring.

A couple of points:

Firstly, Why do I need to know about 'current events'? And who is deciding what these current events are? And why?

Secondly, It's about awareness. It's about knowing that what you're hearing and seeing, is a 'current event' from a single perspective. And it's a perspective that is presented with the sole intention of stirring up emotion.

So if I'm interested in a 'current event', which I rarely am to be honest - I read about it to understand the high level detail. Even at a high level though, I'm acutely aware that although it may be factual accurate, it is one version of events, and just an angle on the events.

I went to Vietnam a few years ago, and their view on the 'Vietnam war' is vastly different from ours, funnily enough. They are the good guys, and we are the baddies.

So if you were curious about the volcano and tsunami in Tonga, or why Novak Djokovic is being deported, or whether you need proof of vaccination to enter your local BWS, what do you do? You're just odd if you have to 'read about it to understand the high level of detail' from presumably a variety of news outlets because 'it is one version and just an angle on the events'.

I went to Vietnam too and visited the museum about the 'American War of Aggression' so I don't need to be told, but I find your take on this whole 'f*** the news' thing bizarre. No one is asking you to trust every news site on the internet without question.

So if you were curious about the volcano and tsunami in Tonga, or why Novak Djokovic is being deported, or whether you need proof of vaccination to enter your local BWS, what do you do? You're just odd if you have to 'read about it to understand the high level of detail' from presumably a variety of news outlets because 'it is one version and just an angle on the events'.

I went to Vietnam too and visited the museum about the 'American War of Aggression' so I don't need to be told, but I find your take on this whole 'f*** the news' thing bizarre. No one is asking you to trust every news site on the internet without question.
It's not a '* the news' thing.

The 'news' just is what it is. It's an entertainment business. If you think it's anything more than that - frankly you're an idiot.

As for being curious about what the media is telling me are current events - I can just read about it in the paper. But as I said, I'm acutely aware that it's just one angle on it. And almost always it's the angle that will invoke emotion in the customers. It's not 'the truth'.

I honestly haven't watched the news for about 10 years. Started turning off the radio in the car when the updates came on at about the same time too.
It was mainly because the kids started to get old enough where they'd ask from the back seat 'Dad, what's rape mean?'

I actually noticed after some time, that I was much happier with my outlook on the world. It occurred to me that the world isn't half as bad as I kept hearing and seeing on the TV and radio.

I don't feel like I miss out on anything. I actually feel like my perspective on the world and 'current events' is far more balanced and informed than it ever was.

In the times where I've stumbled across the news because someone has it on at their house, or it comes on after the cricket or whatever, I'm aghast at what a load of s**t it is.

It literally is 30 minutes or an hour or whatever it is, of straight out sensationalist dogshit designed purely to freak people out. It's bizarre when you haven't watched it for years.

It's bizarre that people actually rely on that s**t to feel 'informed' about the world. It couldn't be further from the truth.

I don't read or follow any commercial news outlets too, don't get me wrong. If you're immediately dismissive of say abc.net.au or BBC News, though - then that's an issue and you should look into it in my view - they are publicly funded broadcasters that in the vast majority of news articles attempt to report on events with a balanced and impartial perspective. Not saying you must swallow it wholesale, and of course it's better to get multiple perspectives on particularly controversial events, but no one is saying you must get your opinions or diversify your viewpoints with op-eds from Channel 7 or News Limited.

There's healthy skepticism, then there's outright conspiratorial views (not saying you're one of them).

See I think I largely fell into the same group of thought as this until I saw just how many whackos there are who would dispute science and not take a vaccine

When the percentage of pure morons in society made itself clear and was way bigger than I was expecting I think it showed that mandates were the only way to get through it. They should have just mandated it for everyone and ripped the Band-Aid off immediately at the start

Maybe but the psychology is against that view. The more you corner people by mandating rather than scaring them into action the less likely you to get people to do the right thing. It also sets a dangerous precedent as to individual responsibility and government powers. Maybe the next thing fewer people are so in agreeable on. Right now there are only 869k of people 16+ who are unvaccinated and each and every day 17-20k of them chose to get vaxed. That has been a stable number regardless of mandates for two months now once we crossed 92%. My bet is the fear of dying due to being unvaccinated (79% of ICU patients are completely unvaccinated and another 13% have had one dose right now today, 18/01/22) will keep people joining the vax line and we’ll get ~98%. Currently 95..15% (just jumped again in a day 22k of 1st doses). There’s no more mandates but I’d expect no jab no play to come in for 5+ this year like April say. That’ll set the hounds running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The current booster is the same as the previous vaccines. They're working on an updated vaccine to combat omicron. Don't forget that the booster program started before omicron really reared it's head so it was to help with the spread of delta.

Which is the strain that’s killing people so it’s good idea to get boosted especially if you had Pfizer. Try to get something different to the initial program. Pfizer x three will mean another most likely in 4months. Az plus either Pfizer or Moderna is the best protection and steps back from that.

Which is the strain that’s killing people so it’s good idea to get boosted especially if you had Pfizer. Try to get something different to the initial program. Pfizer x three will mean another most likely in 4months. Az plus either Pfizer or Moderna is the best protection and steps back from that.

Has this actually got any evidence to back it up? The only thing I saw when I researched for my booster was Pfizer x 2 + full Moderna showed the best immunity (albeit only slight), but the Moderna booster they are giving is a half dose so you cannot take those results as relevant.

Personally... I'd think sticking with the vaccine that you've already had, knowing how your body will react to it is better than trying to quibble too much over what seems to be minimal differences in immunity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has this actually got any evidence to back it up? The only thing I saw when I researched for my booster was Pfizer x 2 + full Moderna showed the best immunity (albeit only slight), but the Moderna booster they are giving is a half dose so you cannot take those results as relevant.

Personally... I'd think sticking with the vaccine that you've already had, knowing how your body will react to it is better than trying to quibble too much over what seems to be minimal differences in immunity.
Similar to what I found before my booster (after 2 x Pfizer in Aug/Sept), albeit not exhaustive. Most 'mix and match' info was about mixing the original doses, or up to Delta, or at least combinations that weren't Pfizer + Moderna. There did seem to be some suggestion of a very slight advantage (Pf x 2, Moderna booster), but one expert view I read was the same, why switch vaccines for what is currently known to be a very slight benefit, when you know you're ok with the one you had. So I went Pfizer again. By the time 4 months or whenever the 4th shot is required (if it is, and if that's the timeframe) we might know more if Moderna has concrete advantages.

There was a graphic doing the rounds which showed the benefits of each combination of the main 4 vaccines in the west (pfizer, moderna, az, janssen) which seemed to show the best was pfizer boosted by moderna but a negligible difference to the other way around moderna boosted by pfizer. It all looked nice and official with pretty logos on it but it was social media afterall so I didn't think anything more of it. When I got my booster shot, I asked the doc the question and her answer was: doesn't make a difference counting antibodies, what matters if they work against the strain. Pretty much the answer was; get boosted and see it through until a variant specific shot and quit punching so many darts.

There’s a fair few articles summarising the benefits but the most important thing to remember is that each vax targets a different feature of COVID so mixing vaxes produces more durable cellular protection. It’s most definitely not about what your system tolerates. So the less it tolerates that is the more tired or effected you are, generally that is an indicatator of how your immune system is reacting to the vaccine and learning to respond to covid. Giving that same vax simply compounds problems especially if you had Pfizer which drops so rapidly after 12 weeks and again after booster unless you’ve had a mixed program.

There’s a fair few articles summarising the benefits but the most important thing to remember is that each vax targets a different feature of COVID so mixing vaxes produces more durable cellular protection. It’s most definitely not about what your system tolerates. So the less it tolerates that is the more tired or effected you are, generally that is an indicatator of how your immune system is reacting to the vaccine and learning to respond to covid. Giving that same vax simply compounds problems especially if you had Pfizer which drops so rapidly after 12 weeks and again after booster unless you’ve had a mixed program.

Just on this, what you're referring to is mainly relevant to those that had astra as their primary doses compared to those that had an mRNA vaccine. Anyone who has had Pfizer shows minimal difference between having Pfizer or Moderna as a booster.

Also, the study they refer to in that article has Moderna booster as 100ug, while the booster dose given is actually 50ug.

All I'm saying is don't stress too much about which booster you get. Pfizer or Moderna... Get whatever is available.

Maybe but the psychology is against that view. The more you corner people by mandating rather than scaring them into action the less likely you to get people to do the right thing. It also sets a dangerous precedent as to individual responsibility and government powers. Maybe the next thing fewer people are so in agreeable on. Right now there are only 869k of people 16+ who are unvaccinated and each and every day 17-20k of them chose to get vaxed. That has been a stable number regardless of mandates for two months now once we crossed 92%. My bet is the fear of dying due to being unvaccinated (79% of ICU patients are completely unvaccinated and another 13% have had one dose right now today, 18/01/22) will keep people joining the vax line and we’ll get ~98%. Currently 95..15% (just jumped again in a day 22k of 1st doses). There’s no more mandates but I’d expect no jab no play to come in for 5+ this year like April say. That’ll set the hounds running.

I fully agree that you don’t want to force people and having them come to the decision themselves is a better result but in this case we simply didn’t have time

I’m sure a lot of people who were forced due to mandates eventually would have got the jab once they saw people they know personally get it but at that point it would have been running rampant and been too late for many people

I would hope should something like this be needed again all those who were hesitant but forced due to mandated would look back and see the vaccine did nothing bad to them and roll up their sleeves (or do whatever the disaster required) again

I only had minor side effects AZ vaccine but yesterdays reaction to Moderna booster was far worse

Fever, aching joints etc. Still feeling sh*te but least fever gone
My missus had the Moderna booster (after being vax'd with Pfizer) and was struggling with flu like symptoms for about 24 hours.

I rolled with Pfizer for all 3 and was fine. Felt a bit off, took a Panadol and that was the end of it.

I went astra Pfizer booster just got a bit tired lethargic
Nurse told me she did the same and that was the best mix of shots
9 year old son had Pfizer nothing but a mildly sore arm

There’s a fair few articles summarising the benefits but the most important thing to remember is that each vax targets a different feature of COVID so mixing vaxes produces more durable cellular https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/27/health/coronavirus-estrogen-men.html. It’s most definitely not about what your system tolerates. So the less it tolerates that is the more tired or effected you are, generally that is an indicatator of how your immune system is reacting to the vaccine and learning to respond to covid. Giving that same vax simply compounds problems especially if you had Pfizer which drops so rapidly after 12 weeks and again after booster unless you’ve had a mixed program.

This might be true in some countries that have used different vaccines, but If you're in Oz, you're choosing between two mRNA vaccines which both get you to make the spike protein of the wuhan strain. They're not targeting different parts of the virus.

First 2 x Pfizer shots, just a sore arm for a day or so. Pfizer booster pretty much the same, although (not surprisingly) my armpit (lymph node) on the same side was a bit sore a few days later (only for a day) which at least shows my body was registering it (not that you should be concerned if that doesn't happen).

Article out today, advice at end of article was basically not to worry too much about differences between Pfizer or Moderna boosters, they both work, just get whatever you can sooner rather than later. For me, booking a Pfizer booster was easy, no waits (unlike people in my much smaller hometown etc), and by the time on the card, I actually got it 4 months - 1 minute since my 2nd shot. Some friends had to book well in advance for their Moderna booster.

I'm not anti-vax, but:
  • It is dangerous gene therapy
  • It is experimental and unproven
  • Side effects are common and significant
  • It doesn't stop transmission
  • It doesn't stop infection
  • It doesn't stop hospitalisation
  • You can still die from COVID
  • You can still die from vaccines
  • There has never been a successful vaccine for coronaviruses
Yes, you are anti-vax.
all true!