Carlton
Obesity and poor diet leads to 50% of heart disease burden

Heart disease leads to 17500
Deaths a year (so 8000-9000 attributable to fatties

That’s double the corona deaths - and that’s only heart disease

Tell me why we aren’t treating fatties like leper’s
Because you can’t catch fatness or spread fatness at an exponential rate
As the the threat to the hospital system subsides so will the mandates
I’ve got a friend who exercises has ridden 100km on a mountain bike won medals in the Olympics in taekwondo he’s big he diets he’s just got the genes I don’t
I could never put on weight completely different metabolism

The Falcon Strike

Hall of Famer
Nov 18, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I know quite alot of people that eat healthy, and are overweight in terms of BMI.

But regardless, I'm not here to say that eating healthy and living a good lifestyle is a bad thing. But how is 'eat well and lose weight' in isolation, going to effectively respond to a pandemic? It's just not. It's the height of naivety to suggest that's the Pandemic response we should have rolled with.

So, we're talking 3-6 months until all the obese people lose weight to the point where they won't have to go to hospital for obesity related issues. Great. Great result for society.

But how does that approach translate to a global pandemic?

It's definitely not a bad thing, but 3-6 months just isn't fast enough to deal with a virus that kills millions of people, and hospitalises millions more.

And that's my point about the Vaccine - take a safe preventative measure, whilst you address other factors that could reduce your susceptibility.

But to say "just lose weight" is so just so idiotic it defies logic.

In WA we have had controlled borders for nearly 2 years

Plenty of time to control the fatties lives

Hospitals could be empty by now

HTT

B2B
Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
And vaccination appears to have zero ability to reduce transmission of omicron

So that argument doesn’t hold water
It doesn’t grow near the rate that a virus does. Changes in rates of heart disease happen slowly over time and can be relatively easily dealt with by expanding hospitals. The same cannot be said for COVID.

The Falcon Strike

Hall of Famer
Nov 18, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Ok...so eat healthy, life a healthy lifestyle, and go to the gym.

That's the plan to deal with a pandemic?

FWIW, I kept working out when the gym was shut. And, people for centuries stated fit without gyms.

No that’s the plan to deal with public health - isn’t that the big issue ?

Covid as a proportion of deaths in this country is minuscule - why do 2-3000 deaths from Covid become more important ? It’s treated like some mystical beast

Authoritarian government telling you exactly how you should live to keep us safe

Next up - contact sport is banned because it causes too many broken bones in hospitals on the weekend

BarbieITFC

All Australian
May 11, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Ipswich Town FC, Leeds Rhinos
Given I’m “very wrong”

I’m sure you have the data for it to back up that assertion - otherwise your little better than anti-vaxxer Facebook heroes

The head of Pfizer came out the other day and said double vaccination has a mostly zero impact
Two responses:
1) r.e. Evidence is still emerging but here’s a very recent study that concluded transmission by vaccinated people is lower than for those unvaccinated, but best in those who’ve had the booster. It does show that the vaccine is less effective on the transmission rate for Omicron than Delta - which isn’t a bad thing given we have Delta in Australia still and it’s caused far more severe illness and greater rate of death. It’s why WHO are urging the pharmas to focus on adapting the vaccine to be more specific to Omicron.

2) Using the fact that Pfizer boss was indicating issues in double vaxxed people as a counter argument to my post isn’t valid - given my point was clearly stating that you were wrong to state that the vaccines don’t work for transmission of Omicron if you look at those who’ve had the booster (i.e. I wasn’t talking about double vaxxed folks).

Anyway - enjoy dry February (and March, and April, and May…)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

azlou

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2010
hampton
AFL Club
Carlton

Covid as a proportion of deaths in this country is minuscule - why do 2-3000 deaths from Covid become more important ? It’s treated like some mystical beast

Authoritarian government telling you exactly how you should live to keep us safe

Next up - contact sport is banned because it causes too many broken bones in hospitals on the weekend
Look you just don’t get it the restrictions are easing now we could have been like Italy or New York but we weren’t
Because we had restrictions and mandates a whole lot of fatty dads and fatty mums sisters brothers and Grandparents are still alive
Just look at Australia’s death rate compared to other countries
you seem to be arguing for a higher death rate more fat people and old people to die

azlou

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2010
hampton
AFL Club
Carlton
But locking people out of gyms is definitely good for public health
Yes it was I did laps round my local running track in winter soft gym junkies need some pills
1642176240036.jpeg

kingswood71

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2010
Australia.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West Perth.
That’s not transmission
It kinda is though....
This Danish study found "Furthermore, we show that fully vaccinated and booster-vaccinated individuals are generally less susceptible to infection compared to unvaccinated individuals. We also show that booster-vaccinated individuals generally had a reduced transmissibility (OR: 0.72, CI: 0.56-0.92), and that unvaccinated individuals had a higher transmissibility (OR: 1.41, CI: 1.27-1.57), compared to fully vaccinated individuals"
You asserted that vaccines have zero ability to reduce transmission, boosters do reduce transmission.....

kingswood71

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2010
Australia.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West Perth.

Because, if it wasnt for public health measures, the "minuscule" deaths would be very much higher.....
What do you think may have happened to Australian covid death numbers if we had just let her rip back in April 2020?? Insignificant number of deaths??
Even now with opening and a well vaccinated population, deaths are still rising.
Using 2-3000 deaths as an example of covid not been that serious is counterintuitive if its not acknowledged that the reason deaths are lower than other countries is due to our public health actions. Its like those people on McGowans facebook who write "wow 9 WA deaths, some pandemic"....without appreciating the fact that WA has been largely isolated and protected by public heath measures.

Lavender Bushranger

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast

No. There's lots of issues at play. Public health, personal health, social impact, economic impact, education - all need shirt, medium and long term consideration. They require urgent response during a pandemic.

The vaccination program addresses all of these to varying degrees.

Fat people losing weight probably impacts none of them in the short term, only 1 in the medium term and potentially just 2 in the long term.

So this is where the discussion inevitably becomes moronic.

I can't comprehend the lack of intellect that lead to this type of conclusion.

We locked down internally, locked down externally, and have amongst the highest Vax rates in the world.

That's why deaths are low. Countries that didn't/couldn't do that - had 100s of 1000s of deaths.

The logic that we shouldn't do anything because our death rates are low, is astonishing in its idiocy. The logic that somehow our low death rates are evidence that we overreacted is even worse.

Again - what problem are you trying to solve?

kingswood71

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2010
Australia.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West Perth.
If there were a million AFL players and 2-3000 of them in a 2 year period all ended up with fractured C-spines after taking screamers and falling onto their heads, you dont think questions would be asked about how best to manage the risks?. Even worse, say 2-3000 of them died from hangman's fractures in 2 years....

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
I used to be very pro-vaccine throughout COVID and am double-vaccinated. It’s not that I no longer am, but I’m just over the whole thing. It’s clear that the federal and state governments here in Australia do not have the competency required to deal with the COVID pandemic whether it is their fault or not.

Also, Pfizer produced vaccines and the boss is now admitting that it is likely not that effective on Omicron.

The availability of RATs is a mess. The PCR testing is a mess. Contact tracing is a mess. Businesses are still being crippled financially because of this. The whole situation has turned into a mess.

Just take the L and move on. Whatever happens to our hospital system will happen. Whatever happens to us as individuals will happen. Whatever happens to our family will happen. We as a society just have to move on now and stop worrying about COVID mandates (e.g. vaccine, testing requirements, self-isolation requirements etc.) and handle it like we handle the flu and other viruses (e.g. optional COVID vaccines/booster shots + no fixed isolation requirements). Yes, COVID’s worse than the flu, but we obviously can’t stop it.

I’d rather everyone that’s symptomatic manage their symptoms at home like we did with other viruses in the past and go to the hospital when required. We’ll just have to learn from our incompetence this time around so that we can handle a spread of disease better next time there is a pandemic. We can also look at investing more resources into our health care systems instead of COVID tests so that we have more health care workers and facilities to deal with issues like this.

All I’m saying is that we’ve reached a time where we pull the plug on trying to fight what seems like a losing battle.

catscollector

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
I used to be very pro-vaccine throughout COVID and am double-vaccinated. It’s not that I no longer am, but I’m just over the whole thing. It’s clear that the federal and state governments here in Australia do not have the competency required to deal with the COVID pandemic whether it is their fault or not.

Also, Pfizer produced vaccines and the boss is now admitting that it is likely not that effective on Omicron.

The availability of RATs is a mess. The PCR testing is a mess. Contact tracing is a mess. Businesses are still being crippled financially because of this. The whole situation has turned into a mess.

Just take the L and move on. Whatever happens to our hospital system will happen. Whatever happens to us as individuals will happen. Whatever happens to our family will happen. We as a society just have to move on now and stop worrying about COVID mandates (e.g. vaccine, testing requirements, self-isolation requirements etc.) and handle it like we handle the flu and other viruses (e.g. optional COVID vaccines/booster shots + no fixed isolation requirements). Yes, COVID’s worse than the flu, but we obviously can’t stop it.

I’d rather everyone that’s symptomatic manage their symptoms at home like we did with other viruses in the past and go to the hospital when required. We’ll just have to learn from our incompetence this time around so that we can handle a spread of disease better next time there is a pandemic. We can also look at investing more resources into our health care systems instead of COVID tests so that we have more health care workers and facilities to deal with issues like this.

All I’m saying is that we’ve reached a time where we pull the plug on trying to fight what seems like a losing battle.

Here's hoping all of us who were forced into taking the jab do not come down with any long term side effects.

Forward Press

Hall of Famer
Jul 5, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Man Utd
Because, if it wasnt for public health measures, the "minuscule" deaths would be very much higher.....
What do you think may have happened to Australian covid death numbers if we had just let her rip back in April 2020?? Insignificant number of deaths??
Even now with opening and a well vaccinated population, deaths are still rising.
Using 2-3000 deaths as an example of covid not been that serious is counterintuitive if its not acknowledged that the reason deaths are lower than other countries is due to our public health actions. Its like those people on McGowans facebook who write "wow 9 WA deaths, some pandemic"....without appreciating the fact that WA has been largely isolated and protected by public heath measures.

hmV3936AnbyusZU_9_yZC-pXK1E-0ssrMk8UdEb1Vx0.png

As a massive Futurama fan, this quote has always stuck with me whenever I'm confronted with posts like the one you replied to.

Profop

Team Captain
Oct 20, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond

Saying whatever will happen will happen is all well and good until it’s someone you know that is getting subpar care because it all got too hard