Roast Mark Robinson

Remove this Banner Ad

I was just thinking whether alcohol should be considered a recreational drug or a performance enhancing drug for Robinson.

It's certainly recreational, because he just loves getting drunk. On the other hand, can he actually write his column without the help of grog? In fact, is it possible for him to live with himself without some level of alcohol in his blood?
I would have thought that alcoholism was a prerequisite to journalism.

We were 1-7 vs top 8 teams last year we are now 1-1

We lost 6 games by under 2 goals
We are 1-0

We came back from 17 points down with 6min to go could have easily gave up
The only relevant sentence was the last one, this is 2016.
All teams have to prove themselves all over again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Herald Sun Lawyer is Justin Quill. He is the leading sports and entertainment lawyer in Australia. If you google his name, you will see that when the Essendon saga dropped, he was hired by the AFL to be the "neutral" lawyer to look on during the proceedings. There is no way someone as established and reputable as Quill would OK the article if it didn't have watertight sources.
How naive are you? HS lawyers would look at and say there is minimal risk of a lawsuit by publishing this article. For them it is all about minimising risk. If there are little to no consequences (tangible ie money/intangible ie reputation) or risk associated with publishing the article - yet you make huge amounts of paper sales (profit) and gain huge exposure - then you will ok the article even if the facts arent 100%.

These lawyers are about minimising the risk of possible lawsuits if the negatives of publishing the article outweigh the positives.

It is incredibly naive to say that if it was published then hs lawyer must have ok'd it therefore facts must be 100%. Then by that logic every article published must have 100% facts and sources.

Lawyers for HS evaluate the article and assess the amount of risk associated weighed up against how much the paper could tangibly benefit (profit)

He is an expression of a growing phenomenon. In our current individual obsessed world, we have become convinced in the innate superiority of the unschooled everyman over the expert. Facts no longer matter, learning no longer matters, process and ethics no longer matters, all that matters is the individual opinion. Robbo is the quintessential everyman, the defiantly untutored, unapologetically biased, guy down the pub who appeals to the innate belief amongst those without the ability or dare I say it discipline to actually learn anything about a topic and whose loudness grows in direct proportion to their alcohol consumption and ignorance.

These people are not interested in facts, indeed anyone bringing up inconvenient facts is likely to be seen as a member of the "elite", "vested interests", the hated ones responsible for all that is bad, or worse, part of the conspiracy themselves. All they are interested is someone in the public eye willing to parrot their own spittle laden prejudices.

Given the changes in demographics of consumption relating to traditional media, its likely his type will become more dominant not less. Because these people are the only ones still reading the HS and its ilk as if it means anything.

deep

I wonder if the Media and Arts Alliance (Journo's Union) ever did a deal with the Media Employers to confidentially hair test all the print media employees and if Robbo became aware of the Herald Sun positive tests, if he would write and print a story about it?
I would 100% guarantee he wouldn't based on 2 things:
* The Confidentiality Agreement
* Its no ones business other than the Journo and his/her employer

I wonder if the Media and Arts Alliance (Journo's Union) ever did a deal with the Media Employers to confidentially hair test all the print media employees and if Robbo became aware of the Herald Sun positive tests, if he would write and print a story about it?
I would 100% guarantee he wouldn't based on 2 things:
* The Confidentiality Agreement
* Its no ones business other than the Journo and his/her employer
You only gave to look at how he and the media handled Jon Anderson being over the limit. Robbo's response was 'poor Jon he made a mistake let's move on'

Little bit of info from the club if anyone cares.

Club were shot from the drug scandal as much as we say we weren't, had a s**t week on the track and it's continued this week.

Club are furious with the article, we have told the Herald sun that they won't be getting much from the club In the future.

The club believes Swan will retire, he was probably 70/30 on going again next year they are leaving the decision in his hands, they have decided to speak again at the half way point of the year they want him to focus on rehab as it's a nasty type surgery.

Article out today saying the club has banned Robbo, from what I was told it's the Herald Sun.

http://www.sen.com.au/news/03-16/neil-balme-robbo-was-fishing-for-the-number#eg8yf3eXMdPL1F6w.97

Mark Robinson was incorrect with his article claiming that up to eleven Collingwood players tested positive to illicit drugs over the summer and he was previously unsure of the figure, says Neil Balme.

The director of football at the Pies accepts that the media would desperately want to know the statistics of the AFL’s hair testing of players after they returned from holidays last year but believes his club was unfairly used as the case study.

“I kind of understand everyone’s position and the journalist’s position working for such a progressive paper like the Herald Sun, they want the story, they have to have the story,” said Balme on SEN radio.

“So, I get it and the story itself they’re not going to get sued for it but it wasn’t a factual article.

“He doesn’t know the number.

“He rang us and said I’ve heard that 23 of your blokes have tested positive in the off-season and we said that’s wildly off the pace I would have thought.

“Then he came back, ‘what about up to eleven?’

“Now, none of it is factual and then we had that same organisation coming back in Sydney and wrote that we had 30 and then we had another come back and say we hear it’s seven.

“So they were fishing for a number and Robbo goes with up to eleven.”

“I don’t think there’s been a leak, I don’t think anyone knows the numbers I think everyone is guessing the numbers.

“We’re betrayed by the fact that the players voluntarily offered to do something on the basis that it would be confidential, the AFL runs it and it’s really nothing to do with the clubs.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back