List Mgmt. Mark Thompson: Michael Hurley a "natural defender".

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's go, outside. come at me b...

s**t.

excellent-mr-burns.gif

Seems like Bomber intends to make quite a few changes.. which worries me slightly IF supposedly he and Hird were 'on a path' together

I had the impression Hird was going to ring some of these changes last year - but a good start ladder wise and then injuries at the back end didn't allow for experimentation in some areas around the ground to develop players.

Besides the list exits we've had, I'd expect that a few more names will filter through the main 22 to get games under belts and experience in 2014. No better coach to do that than Mark.

Good move, I was slowly getting sick of Hurls stinking it up in the fwd line.

He is better in defence because his opponents get him to more contests whereas in the fwd line he just wouldn't get to enough contests (lazyness and workrate issue imo whereas in the backline he can't goof off).

I keep hearing that he is a competitive beast but far too often he would go missing for a qtr or two every game and then when he did make it to a contest he would attack it recklessly and do an injury and then spend the rest of the game hobbling around fixing up his hair. His tackling stats also suggests to me that this competitive beast tag is a bit of a myth (even taking into account his injuries) and he seems to love making it look like he is trying to corral an opponent much like Leroy Jetta does instead of going in and making a tackle.

For the potential he showed when he first got to the club imo he has been a thorough disappointment so far.

He is better in defence because his opponents get him to more contests whereas in the fwd line he just wouldn't get to enough contests (lazyness and workrate issue imo whereas in the backline he can't goof off).

I keep hearing that he is a competitive beast but far too often he would go missing for a qtr or two every game and then when he did make it to a contest he would attack it recklessly and do an injury and then spend the rest of the game hobbling around fixing up his hair. His tackling stats also suggests to me that this competitive beast tag is a bit of a myth (even taking into account his injuries) and he seems to love making it look like he is trying to corral an opponent much like Leroy Jetta does instead of going in and making a tackle.

For the potential he showed when he first got to the club imo he has been a thorough disappointment so far.
Such a self contradictory post. 20 seconds of my life gone for nothing. Not to mention time taken to reply ;)

The Hurley debate splits supporters right down the line.

50% want him back and 50% want him forward.

Solution:
Keep him as a forward until 2016. Allow Daniher to get conditioned for the rigorous role of being a no.1 forward from 2016 onwards.

Hurley to continue to play as CHF until such time. Belly/Ryder (resting ruck) and Daniher to share the FF role.

Hurley can be our full back after Fletcher retires at the completion of the 2015* season.

*note 2015 is our year, Hirdy will be back holding the premiership cup aloft and Fletch will retire with a medallion around his neck and the biggest and loudest send off lap of honour you have ever seen since EJ Whitten did his lap.

Bit harsh IMO, when Hurley is out of the side our forward line structure/work rate looked and was shocking.
I admit Hurley drops some sitters but some of the delivery to him on the lead from our mids is appalling at times, kicking it at his ankles, 3 metres in front or over his head instead of perfectly lace up in front..

Bit harsh IMO, when Hurley is out of the side our forward line structure/work rate looked and was shocking.
I admit Hurley drops some sitters but some of the delivery to him on the lead from our mids is appalling at times, kicking it at his ankles, 3 metres in front or over his head instead of perfectly lace up in front..

No, he runs under the pill

I've been an advocate for Hurley as a forward due to him having the presence that finals winning teams need as a focal point when structure breaks down. However, I think he needs to play back for a while to develope consistency, confidence and game-developed endurance. But once he has this under his belt I think he can then have the experience to become a match-winning forward. I think he is the type of player that doesn't necessarily need to learn to be a forward because he can be an impact player through pure desire and intensity at the contest. What he needs to learn is how to put together a string of consistent performances which I believe he has a better chance of doing in defense.

Davey should come back as forward line coach. He knew exactly where to lead to get the ball kicked to him every time!

as stupid as they sounds, its true, far to many times Davey was the marking target

Ridiculous post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i think we've had just about enough controversy without tanking.

He asked a question, I answered it. Pears made his senior debut for us playing CHF

He asked a question, I answered it. Pears made his senior debut for us playing CHF
You answered it quite well but i think it was asked with the suggestion that Pears may be tried up forward at which point i had quite a lot of fun not finishing my report but looking for the appropriate GIF.

was ok from memory, gave off quite a few goals and contested well. You reckon him up forward? I'd prefer Hardingham

I honestly can't say, having not seen him enough up there. But he has a decent set of hands and is a nice kick, so it's a possibility. Overall though, I think if Hurley is going to play a lot more down back this year, then something somewhere has to give, be it a Hardingham or Pears going forward more.

Honestly I'm open to trialling it in our pre-season games
well my first reaction was god no, but its desperate times for the forward line and its desperate times for Tayte. Its only the preseason and its got a 99% chance of failing miserably, but waddaya got to lose!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back