Mark Zanotti

Remove this Banner Ad

Can someone help me out

why didnt he play a senior game in '96

i thought he was a great player
Yeah i checked this out myself and i thought that he was one of the better Fitzroy, yet he didnt play a game in 96.

Him and allan lamb are the most predominate in my mind as fitzroy players due to their hair ;):)

The only thing i can think of holding him back would be an injury.

He was suffering a very bad injury in 96 but I can't remember what it was (I was on the football staff at the time too!)?

I think it was his back but I'm sure Fat Pizza or one of the locals will remember it better than I could.

He was my sponsored player in 1994! Actually, was he a listed player in 96?

I heard that Mick Nunan wasn't happy with Zanotti's decision to tour with his band, Trial By Video, instead of participating in pre-season training. Zanotti was probably fit enough to have just trained on his own, while on tour & then slotted back into Fitzroy's training on his return, but it set a bad example to the rest of the team. Nunan was also trying to develop a finals team over a number of seasons & Zanotti would not have been in that longer-term plan, so he was told not to come back.

He was definitely one of our best players during the 1990's. Far better than Wayne Lamb. :eek:

Ha ha ha ha ha thats great, thats really quite funny.

from what i seen of him, he played Lazy, didnt run further then what he had to, done what was needed and no more, but he did it so well.

thanks Fat Pizza!

from what i seen of him, he played Lazy, didnt run further then what he had to, done what was needed and no more, but he did it so well.
Maybe, but he was very quick. Not many could catch him, when he took off on a run.

He was known as Saver, because he always kept some energy in reserve. He could still run as fast at the end of a match or a training session, as he could at the start.

He was also a great entertainer, with his band & on the field.

Wasn't he listed as having a serious ankle injury throughout 96?

I suppose it wouldn't be the first time an injury list was not truthful.

I remember in the early-mid 1990s being at Kardinia Park as a little fella in the front row, and Geelong was playing Fitzroy when Zanotti got a blood nose. There was that much blood he turned a white hand towel completely red!

He was called savour because his facial hair enabled him to taste his meals long after he'd finished eating.

Dad sponsored him in about 1995 and he made himself available for dinner at their house so my Sister and I turned up to enjoy his company for a midweek roast and catch up for a chat.

Much to my old-fashioned Mother's horror he polished off the meal with aplomb, and the wine....and then went on to annihilate Dad's alcohol cupboard with anything on offer he was going to have a crack and then preceeded to try and get directions best suited to avoid any run in with a booze bus back to his house in the eastern suburbs.

Best on Ground and Best Off Ground in my opinion. I don't think anyone could really believe how good he was off the field! :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was called Saver as per what FP said plus for saving the backline and Wildman naturally.

He always had time for people but Nunan didn't like him at all, I was Player Liaison Officer at the time and you got privelaged info in the club, Mark used to write some articles for me when I did the club Magazine.

I was given Mark's last jumper by by Glen Ford and Mark signed it in Perth after the last game, Mark came over to London in '98 and started the London Gryphons FC in the BARFL and went back in '99, around the time his baby daughter died of SIDS.

I also have the banner that Trial By Video had as a back drop, Charlie gave it to me at their last gig, it's in storage with everything else.

He was the most "Lion like" player we ever had. And by that I am referring to his physical appearance. Legend!

oh so he is at the gold coast now, well if anyone runs in to him tell him his 23 year old son has a son too and now he is a grandfather, i heard they are looking for him but he is good at dodging his kids

he had a blue with Noonan and stood out of footy in the last year (96)

he lives in Brisbane nowdays (spoke to him 10 minutes ago) hes doing well (had a few bottles of red under him when he rang though - ha ha)

Good to visit your board guys. Wasn't a Subi fan but Zanotti was one of my fave footballers before I left Perth in the 80s. Always a bit different but could really play. Could be wrong but I thought he won the Simpson medal (BOG) when Subi won their first flag in ages in the mid-Eighties. This was the pre Weagles/Freo WAFL - a strong comp. Zanotti started and finished his serious footy as a Lion.:cool:

Dad sponsored him in about 1995 and he made himself available for dinner at their house so my Sister and I turned up to enjoy his company for a midweek roast and catch up for a chat.

Much to my old-fashioned Mother's horror he polished off the meal with aplomb, and the wine....and then went on to annihilate Dad's alcohol cupboard with anything on offer he was going to have a crack and then preceeded to try and get directions best suited to avoid any run in with a booze bus back to his house in the eastern suburbs.

Best on Ground and Best Off Ground in my opinion. I don't think anyone could really believe how good he was off the field! :thumbsu:

HAHAHA
Urrrrrrpp...point me in the direction of may car sommy

Sorry loyal Roy Boys but I felt I had to comment on this thread...

Despite being a Cats fan, I've been a massive Zanotti fan for years... I even have a Zanotti Disc/Pog thing gluetacked to my dashboard amongst all the Geelong stickers/scarfs and objects in my car.

As a kid I called him "The Last of Mohicains" as I swore he could of been Daniel Day-Lewis stunt double in that film (A Great Film Also). I also thought he looked like Taipan of Gladiators and a dark version of Fabio. I really liked him at Brisbane and I have a Brisbane player toy with his number 21 on the back and a Roys player toy with his number 16 on the back.

When he came to the Roys, that confirmed them as my second team. If the Roys were on the TV I stayed tuned just to see him play. I had already been a massive fan of Ozy since back in 89 (Sadly he left when Zanotti came) and loved the sides jumper so I always wanted the Lions to beat anyone but Geelong. I now go to a fair few Roys games at Brunswick Street for something to do on a Saturday, mainly because of my memories of my man Zanotti back in the days.

Good to visit your board guys. Wasn't a Subi fan but Zanotti was one of my fave footballers before I left Perth in the 80s. Always a bit different but could really play. Could be wrong but I thought he won the Simpson medal (BOG) when Subi won their first flag in ages in the mid-Eighties. This was the pre Weagles/Freo WAFL - a strong comp. Zanotti started and finished his serious footy as a Lion.:cool:

I'm a Subi fan, East Coast since the late 70s, but was at Subi that day & Zanott played a screamer @ CHB.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back