Review Match review V Richmond, Rd 1

Remove this Banner Ad

There's several things we should work into our future games from what I saw last night.

1. Trust the talls in the forward line.
At times we held onto the ball looking for a perfect pass without taking a chance on the odd bomb. This had us working the ball around 60 metres out creating hesitation and often resulting in turnovers.

2. When we have the upper hand, step it up not slow it down.
I will never understand why with 8 minutes left we wish to "control tempo"
It has not worked for us previously and it won't work in the future.
We always concede more goals against us than we attain once we "show the pill"
Thornton did it in the first quarter last night, but Judd has been the prime villain previously

Like those 2 points.

I'm starting to realise that it is our midfielders who are having some issues learning how to kick to a non-Fev forward line. With Fev as the main target, their decision making was pretty straight forward, and they only needed to focus on the execution. Now they have 3 tall targets, plus Eddie and Yarran floating around. Selecting the right option ain't so easy now. Saw several occasions when the forwards led nicely, but the midfielders chose the wrong option. It's just going to take time for this new structure to settle.

And yes, we always flop when we go defensive. Not just this year, but last year as well. We're a naturally very attacking side, who is trying to add a defensive dimension. Don't think there's anything wrong with applying the breaks from time to time, it's just that we're hopeless at it, and do it when we didn't need to. Attack is the best form of defense sometimes.

:)

For what it's worth, I also think that Robert Walls was disgraceful last night. Sunk the boot in at every opportunity. You got the impression he was hoping players like Lachie Henderson and Robbie Warnock stuffed up, such was his unrelenting negativity.

At one point Walls was gravely declaring that Warnock had to come off the ground because his fitness levels weren't up to it, and lo and behold, Warnock popped up in the next passage of play with a strong mark.

At least he's not biased...:rolleyes:

For what it's worth, I also think that Robert Walls was disgraceful last night. Sunk the boot in at every opportunity. You got the impression he was hoping players like Lachie Henderson and Robbie Warnock stuffed up, such was his unrelenting negativity.

At one point Walls was gravely declaring that Warnock had to come off the ground because his fitness levels weren't up to it, and lo and behold, Warnock popped up in the next passage of play with a strong mark.

At least he's not biased...:rolleyes:

Walls is a complete tool ..Tim Lane is not much better ..terrible terrible commentators ...quarterbrain is also garbage.

Don't understand the criticism of Joey Anderson - thought he was great last night. Skill execution was good, and he used his pace to burn off the opposition.
Skills are still the problem for Joey, and at this stage I'm afraid they always will be. I can't see the same potential that Russell has - understandable given their different draft positions.
Setanta. Outstanding. One of the most under-rated footballers in the AFL. He's fast on the lead, excellent over-head, enjoys busting packs, chases and has a bag of X-factor tricks.
Busting packs is something he could have done more of last night. Was caught more than once holding back when others would have slammed into defenders caught under the ball. Otherwise very good. Needs to be spoon-fed into leading sometimes (a la the gimme from Betts), and generally must become more assertive to be a real full forward. I still prefer him up the ground at CHF, but he did OK last night.
Warnock. Very rusty. Looked down on confidence at times. The only way to get him up to speed is to play him at this level though. He'll get better. Didn't like his work in the middle last night.
I thought he was well behind Hammer and Jacobs in the ruck stakes and last night only confirmed it. Mobility around the ground doesn't make up for being smashed at centre bounces. He consistently mistimed his leap and left us sharking Simmond's taps whenever he was there. The seniors isn't the place to learn the basics, it's back to Preston for him.

...I thought he was well behind Hammer and Jacobs in the ruck stakes and last night only confirmed it. Mobility around the ground doesn't make up for being smashed at centre bounces. He consistently mistimed his leap and left us sharking Simmond's taps whenever he was there. The seniors isn't the place to learn the basics, it's back to Preston for him.

Yep, the mistimed leaps were VERY frustrating. Plus his leap seemed almost non-existent, which negated his height advantage. I wouldn't be disappointed if Hampson came in, but I can't see it happening. Reckon Warnock will be an automatic selection for at least 3 weeks.

My preferred combo is Kruezer and Hampson. I liked the way they worked together last year.

:)

A few of my observations

1. With the game style we played with last night I think we would have kicked the same amount of goals with Fev. In other words we had a game plan that didn't rely on 1 forward and last night it worked well

2. I know it's only the first round but there were to many turnovers, particularly when not under pressure. 3+ on the fulls when the player kicking wasn't under pressure that the player he was kicking to was on his own. Against top quality teams any turnover will almost certainly cost you a goal. WE MUST HIT OUR TARGETS. The top teams hit their targets most of the time and that has a lot to do with why they are the top teams

3. This tempo style of play of kicking back and switching worked well last night (partly due to Richmond letting us play like that). It won't work to well against teams with strong zones like Hawthorn, St Kilda, Adelaide, Geelong etc..I hope Ratten has other game plans to use against such teams

A few of my observations

1. With the game style we played with last night I think we would have kicked the same amount of goals with Fev. In other words we had a game plan that didn't rely on 1 forward and last night it worked well

2. I know it's only the first round but there were to many turnovers, particularly when not under pressure. 3+ on the fulls when the player kicking wasn't under pressure that the player he was kicking to was on his own. Against top quality teams any turnover will almost certainly cost you a goal. WE MUST HIT OUR TARGETS. The top teams hit their targets most of the time and that has a lot to do with why they are the top teams

3. This tempo style of play of kicking back and switching worked well last night (partly due to Richmond letting us play like that). It won't work to well against teams with strong zones like Hawthorn, St Kilda, Adelaide, Geelong etc..I hope Ratten has other game plans to use against such teams
I thought it worked really well, really we've only just started to get an understanding of players being the right positions, what i did notice was that players were willing to sacrifice their own game by running and opening up space behind them, some time the ball carries didn't pick it up as much, another was being able to kick out from FB with precision passing even when the heat was on, our game plan relies on depth touch and you will notice it is getting better just watch the first 7min of the game. It won't always work, but they'll come away from the game knowing better for it:):thumbsu:

A real team effort tonight. Richmond haven't imporved, and if Hardwick is trying to implement a new game plan, I didn't see it tonight. Really pleased that Waite got through after his knee, and Murphy was good as well. Carrazzo will go home with leather poisoning tonight.

New season, new coach, new players, new game plan .............

So what has changed ......... Same old toothless Tigers HBF !!!!!

A good result overall by our Baby Boys but very disappointed that we allowed them to kick goals in junk time in the first half. This is something that needs to be worked on as we cannot allow this to happen against the better teams.

Very pleased with McLean, gee I thought it was Ratts out there for a moment.

Warnock needs to build more confidence as he looked lost in some passages of play, but given time he will be outstanding. Turnovers are very costly, & from one turnover, it gave the Tigers momentum & allowed them to kick 3 goals in 5 minutes in the 1st qtr.

Kreuzer & 206 ran rings around the Tigers rucks.

Absolutely wrapped with Waite's performance last night & as you say HBF that he got through it fine & same goes for Murph.

Pleasing to see that we had 11 goal kickers & with Garlett being available soon, we will have 3 exciting players in the forward line in Betts, Garlett & Yarran.

Went home very happy but very low key as it was only the 1st game of the season.

I even watched the replay on Foxtel when I got home.

Great win by the boys & congrats to Carrots & TBird on their milestones.

Good luck to Simmo next week as Captain & hopefully another win.

"GO BLUES"

That's a nice simplistic view of things.......rd 1, without Fev, Judd and Stevo and some cobwebs to blow out and a completely new forward structure on display for the first time.

Also hard to maintain that intensity for 120 minutes unless you have a seasoned, experienced squad full of top-shelf talent.....we're not quite there yet. Richmond were always going to come at some stage. Apart from the two 10 mintue lapses we were well on top all night.

Far more positives than negatives.

The chicken littles must be starving :)

And you only have 3 teeth and even less brain cells ..so whats your point feral ?

I frequently receive compliments on how good my full head of straight white teeth are, and I'm studying at university. I've never drank, smoked, done drugs, fathered any children out of wedlock, received a dole payment, done a burn-out, worn flannelette or been in trouble with the law. I am the anti-bogan. So what's your point? ;)

Surely you can't deny Kreuzer has terrible facial acne. He's a wonderful player, and I'd obviously love to have him at Collingwood, but he's got terrible skin. It was good to see that a couple of other Carlton supporters actually agreed with me, because it is obvious, and I don't understand why he doesn't do something about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I frequently receive compliments on how good my full head of straight white teeth are, and I'm studying at university. I've never drank, smoked, done drugs, fathered any children out of wedlock, received a dole payment, done a burn-out, worn flannelette or been in trouble with the law. I am the anti-bogan. So what's your point? ;)

Next you're gonna tell us you've never lied as well. :p

Pros:

1. Kruezer is in fantastic form, he runs hard, jumps high, the best I have ever seen him.
2. Eddie Betts being our "go to" man. Many opposition will have a hard time stopping him.
3. Yarran - starting to pick up the speed of AFL
4. Scotland as a midfielder instead of doing rebound as a back-flank.
5. Gibbs and Murphy, I thought they were quite slow and have gone backwards during the pre-seaon games, now I know why - because they were simply holding back, didn't want to show all the cards during the pre-season.
6. Waite - doesn't even look like he had a knee reconstruction.
7. No Judd and Fevola - still manage to have a great win like this

Cons

1. Jamison's shoulder
2. Henderon and Setanta - they were good, but still a long way to go, hopefully they play ever game for the rest of the season.
3. Anderson

not sure I'd call Hendo and Carlos a con. both have tremendous work-rates and compete well at ground level. parrot said, Carlos created a couple of scoring opportunities by providing a 50/50 contest where other tall forwards may have not...Lachie showed a glimpse of how good he is on the lead......he's still a pup

There's a real good interview with Henderson on CFC TV right now. Check it out, Lachie speaks really well and you can just see how much happier he is at Carlton

link ;)

He would be happier as we wasn't given many opportunities at Brisbane.

Hey zee who wouldn't be happy to play alongside Judd, Gibbs, Murphy & Kreuzer :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back