Int Rookie Matt Duffy - International Rookie

International rookie.

Remove this Banner Ad

THE Carlton Football Club is excited to announce it has secured Irish duo Rob Monahan and Matt Duffy as international rookies.

The Club scouted the pair on a recent recruiting trip to Ireland, which saw the Blues assess some of the country’s best young talent, with Monahan and Duffy proving the standouts.

Longford footballer Duffy is a 19-year-old running machine, winning the 2km at the Irish trials.

Standing at 194cm, he showcases elite athleticism for his size with excellent endurance.

Duffy has been regarded as one of Ireland’s future stars, having made his senior Gaelic football debut in 2023 which playing a key role in Dromard’s championship comeback against Granard.

Carlton Head of List Management Nick Austin said both Monahan and Duffy could not have been more impressive during the recruitment process in Ireland.

“We are so excited to have Robert and Matt join the Blues next season. Both players are fantastic athletes and exceptional characters," Austin said.

“Both will add depth to our midfield group, with Robert having the ability to play forward.

“While both have the skills to thrive in the AFL, we will invest heavily in their development whilst also supporting them in their transition to Australia.

“Their talent is really clear and we’re confident with our development pathway being really well established at the Club under Luke Power, we will provide Robert and Matt with all the support they need to thrive at IKON Park.”

Welcome, Matt.

I know this is your joke, but...

71t3zCcmzGL.jpg

I know highlights are highlights, but...

He seems to be running at half pace with the ball and his opponents can't catch him running flat out.

He has a wicked sidestep (which you see more in GAA vs AFL)

Looks powerful, strong in the air and able to shrug off contact.

Round ball so much easier to kick, but his highlight goals still look sexy.

While both have the skills to thrive in the AFL, we will invest heavily in their development whilst also supporting them in their transition to Australia.

“Their talent is really clear and we’re confident with our development pathway being really well established at the Club under Luke Power, we will provide Robert and Matt with all the support they need to thrive at IKON Park

Clear acknowledgement that pure athletic skills isn't the whole picture with Irish recruits.

We ain't going in blind.

I love it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know highlights are highlights, but...

He seems to be running at half pace with the ball and his opponents can't catch him running flat out.

He has a wicked sidestep (which you see more in GAA vs AFL)

Looks powerful, strong in the air and able to shrug off contact.

Round ball so much easier to kick, but his highlight goals still look sexy.
we'll know he's ready when the first time he takes a jinking bouncing run the ball flies over his shoulder........

Remove this Banner Ad

Back