Int Rookie Matt Duffy - International Rookie

International rookie.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm so glad that we are getting back into this market again. Their list placement effectively gives them a value outside the top 100 players taken this year, but their profile gives them scope to be significantly better than a player usually taken around this mark.

We now have a system that supports development. Could be a real free kick.

We do have a few project players on our list now though with these two, Akuei, Lemmey, Mirkov and probably O'Keeffe still a way off senior selection. 6 players not ready to step up if needed is a lot.
Refuce those numbers by 2, as Cat B’s are a bonus.

The numbers are still the numbers. We've had Cat Bs who were ready to play before, and I'm sure other clubs have Cat Bs who play.

Just saying, we have our share of project players now. It's a fair whack of players who aren't ready should we have an injury crisis.

3, though Akeui has just run out of Cat B eligibility I think?
The numbers are still the numbers. We've had Cat Bs who were ready to play before, and I'm sure other clubs have Cat Bs who play.

Just saying, we have our share of project players now. It's a fair whack of players who aren't ready should we have an injury crisis.
One of the articles mentioning the signings seems to suggest cat B lists are unlimited and outside the cap, which if true is wild...

Would imagine there's an annual GAA recruitment cap though, as in the past. But if TPP exclusion is real that opens the door for massive cross-code signings.

One of the articles mentioning the signings seems to suggest cat B lists are unlimited and outside the cap, which if true is wild...

Would imagine there's an annual GAA recruitment cap though, as in the past. But if TPP exclusion is real that opens the door for massive cross-code signings.

Maximum of two and only one from Ireland, I’m pretty sure.

IRISH ROOKIE PRE-SELECTION

Irish players can be signed directly to a club’s Rookie List under the International Player Rule and do not have to go through the draft. Previously, Irish players could not be listed as Category B rookies but took a spot on the main Rookie List.

Clubs can now list one Irish player as a Category B rookie but for each additional Irish player rookie listed, that player will be deemed to be a Category A rookie and the club will forfeit its last selection in the Rookie Draft for each additional player listed.

Those are the old rules, from years ago. It seems the number has returned to 2 in the ammended 2023 AFL CBA, with no restriction on GAA/Irish recruits. Any additional Cat B-eligible recruits go onto the main rookie list.

International rookies get 2 year contracts, and all Cat B rookie salaries are not counted in the cap. It doesn't explicitly state if a Cat B eligible rookie that winds up on the Cat A list can also have their entire salary excluded from the TPP, but I'd imagine that's not allowed.

Absolutely stoked to see the club putting in the effort on every front to improve the list. The club is in a much better position than it has ever been to make the most of these opportunities. Happy to stick with what I read and shared yesterday from the GAA group in regards to Duffy.

Having watched the highlights now myself, I can see what they have spoken about. Looks like a Cripps clone in waiting. Looks to possess all of the physical traits required to play modern game. If the Irish fans are correct on his mental makeup, then he could make it a lot sooner than what the norm is ..

I saw something online suggesting that a former Carlton player over there may have tip the club off about Duffy's potential and being in his ear in case other clubs put their best step forward. Not sure if true but if so, thank you Ciaran (who I know keeps tabs on this forum but unknown user name).

With our previous success with the Irish experiment, it genuinely feels good to have two in the fold again.

Last edited:
Absolutely stoked to see the club putting in the effort on every front to improve the list. The club is in a much better position than it has ever been to make the most of these opportunities. Happy to stick with what I read and shared yesterday from the GAA group in regards to Duffy.

Having watched the highlights now myself, I can see what they have spoken about. Looks like a Cripps clone in waiting. Looks to possess all of the physical traits required to play modern game. If the Irish fans are correct on his mental makeup, then he could make it a lot sooner than what the norm is ..

I saw something online suggesting that a former Carlton player over there may have tip the club off about Duffy's potential and being in his ear in case other clubs put their best step forward. Not sure if true but if so, thank you Ciaran (who I know keeps tabs on this forum but unknown user name).

With our previous success with the Irish experiment, it genuinely feels good to have two in the fold again.
If it's true, that is bloody awesome!!!!
If you're reading this "THANK YOU CIARAN, WE STILL LOVE YOU HERE AT CARLTON!!" :carlton::fourleaf::carlton:

Wasn’t Owies a Cat B, or was that Honey?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was wondering when we would recruit from the emerald isle again.

They tick the box as cat b's. Great athletes, good hand eye, can catch a ball. Gaelic footy and rugby background is a big bonus.

Interesting to see how we develop them. Often developed as defenders. One could be a half back, the other another McGovern or Kemp. Hope we mix things up, as we did with Kemp, see where they end up!

Like the look of them, will enjoy watching them develop. Will develop well in a good side.

The rule changes have made the game more suitable to Irish layers as it's more outside and about speed and run.

whiskey mcgregor GIF
conor mcgregor cheers GIF by Team Coco

Reckon owies was, out of footy for a while playing BBall

This is correct. ..was a national representative in the 2014 FIBA U17 World Championships (was third in assists throughout the tournament) and was one of the leaders along with Isaac Humphries and Vasiljevic..

He also made a year for the University of Hawaii Rainbow Warriors and transferred to Seattle before walking away from basketball in the United States and then got a cat b signing with the Blues.

As a basketballer, Matt was a very proficient point guard and possibly had a career in the umbrella head of him. However, I believe he made the right choice professionally, not just because he plays for us. But I think he will make more financial success playing AFL then being a backup or borderline starter in the NBL I was particularly rapt when we signed him

Cripps at double speed?:think:

Last edited:
We might be moving him across to cat A then, depending on the salaries these Irish boys might be getting to start, and how we're projecting them for year 3.

It was initially reported that Duffy was signed as a rookie A. Nothing from the club re: A or B, just international rookies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back