Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Curtin wasn't beaten by speed though ....Ah Chee's not quick ....he was beaten by positioning
Noooo Wayne - you could not be more wrong!! I agree with some of your posts but this is way out of order. Callum Ah Chee's greatest attribute(recognized in his draft year) is SPEED!! That's why having Curtin stand him(even briefly) was insane & ignorant coaching.

Who sits there either pregame or at half time and thinks a half time sub is a good move?

The first rule of decision making is to ask ' what could go wrong if I do X '
At minimum wouldn’t you wait 5 minutes after half time for the first rotation instead of doing it at half time?

I'm finally getting agreement on this, after a big push-back the day after ......

If for example, you push Worrell back .....and replace the role with Curtin, we would have lost too much

Given Curtin's height, and inexperience .....our alternate positions were very limited .....IMO he had to be subbed, he has a very long career, and this not only won't impact Curtin's career, he'll in fact learn more from this experience than a normal game

My point is selection. This only points to Nicks selecting Curtin because he had to on the back of a good game and the media were calling for it. He played him in deep defence where he couldn't have looked more uncomfortable if he tried. Compared to the game he played in a running position where he got the attention for selection.

Do you actually believe this or are you just saying this for the hell of it? We led at half time despite the fact that Curtin was successfully exposed by the opposition and conceded a number of goals. That doesn't mean him conceding those goals had no impact. You can't evaluate the impact of a player primarily by looking at the result of the game.

To take the question at face value, the second half was different. Worrell was injured, the rest of the game had different events play out, and you can't compare them as like-for-like. What you can do is look at the plays in which Curtin was involved and how he performed and ask if another player might have done better. This is obviously not an argument against selecting Curtin, it's fine to concede some team performance to expose young players to the game, but it is often a tradeoff and in this case it clearly was.
That’s on nicks, he went the easy way out and subbed him rather than giving him a chop out and confidence boost by changing up the structure.

My point is selection. This only points to Nicks selecting Curtin because he had to on the back of a good game and the media were calling for it. He played him in deep defence where he couldn't have looked more uncomfortable if he tried. Compared to the game he played in a running position where he got the attention for selection.
Nicks has been consistent in saying Curtin is honing his defensive actions

I don't think Nicks wasn't forced to do anything ....fact is, with a super talent, the Club has to get games into Curtin this year .....timing of these games & roles will be an interesting watch

Last week Curtin was pantsed .....forget he's a rookie ...if any player was pantsed like that, they would have been subbed, unless there were zero other options ....but we had plenty of tall coverage

Nicks has been consistent in saying Curtin is honing his defensive actions

I don't think Nicks wasn't forced to do anything ....fact is, with a super talent, the Club has to get games into Curtin this year .....timing of these games & roles will be an interesting watch

Last week Curtin was pantsed .....forget he's a rookie ...if any player was pantsed like that, they would have been subbed, unless there were zero other options ....but we had plenty of tall coverage

1. Round 3 Sanfl - McBean kicks a bag on Curtin (deep defence for those playing at home)
2. Round 4 Sanfl - Curtin runs around collecting possessions at will gets leather poising.
3. Media that week demand Curtins selection
4. Round 8 AFL - Curtin is selected deep defence against Port Adelaide for his AFL debut (subbed midway through 3rd quarter)
5. Round 9 AFL - Curtin is selected deep defence, subbed at Half time)
6. Round 10 AFL - Dropped

Now...I'm definitely no rocket scientist here but I can clearly see where we went wrong. How about you?

I am all for Nicks saying Curtin is honing his defensive skills. Not a problem in the world. But clearly in the deep defensive position at Sanfl level he was struggling. So this begs the question, why was he selected in the first place? Because as you said, he is a super talent off a HBF in a running position. But this is the other question, why does Curtin need to work on playing deep defence? He should be playing HBF in the Sanfl every week to hone a game he already knows. Its far easier as an established AFL player to go into a position you don't know to pinch hit than to debut in a position you dont know.

That is a question Nicks needs to answer. Is Nicks not happy with Curtins running game?

As for being pantsed, Aliir got absolutely hammered by his WB opponent in a finals game as not only is he seen as not a great 1:1 defender he is also not great at his position when manning his opponent up. Hinkley didn't take him off. So lets get that point straight, not all players who lose their position badly are removed from the game. A smart coach would have tried something different with Curtin in a game we weren't losing, a tactically unintelligent coach would blame the player and **** him off.

No need to tell you what type of coach Nicks is.

Thank you for the opportunity to double up. This is fun! :D

I re-read my reply to you. What "personal insults", please?
Did I call you a language mangler? No.
Did I say you are blind? No.
Did I say you're ridiculous? No. :sneaky:

Pick on Keays? Please re-read my original post (the one you objected to).
Wait. I'll save you the trouble, here:
"I like Keays. Always have.
Keays is our Fast-Forward, run-both-ways at full pelt Energiser Bunny.
I don't know what he does at training, or off-field or in the change rooms, but on-field he leads clearly by example.
".
Since you don't know what those words mean, let me explain.
It's high praise. I like Keays, a lot.

Yes.
Last reply and then you can have the last word since you can never help yourself.
Saying I need to see an optometrist implies I’m going blind which is a personal insult, no need for them in discussions.
You may think you’re funny but none of your posts are. That’s not as insult just reality.
Highlighting Keays apparent non right foot yet letting so many others off the hook that have a greater deficiency in that area is picking on him.

Last reply and then you can have the last word
You're too kind. Thank you.

I apologise for misjudging you, since you clearly understood this:
Saying I need to see an optometrist implies I’m going blind
(even if you missed all of the others :drunk:).

What you missed most of all was that in my very first reply to you, I was polite and inoffensive, saying:
"Disagree, with respect ... ". I meant that.
You could have taken that into account before you launched into your irrational and unnecessarily outraged defence of Keays' right-foot kicking which,
I repeat,
is awful.

But I still like Keays, a lot. Not even you have spoiled that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nicks is reaping what he is sowing at the moment.

Doing the same stuff that didn't work previously and getting the same results

I know that a good sign of young teams getting better is close losing results. But that relies on a few things.

1. Actually being a young side and not relying on experienced players
2. Not chasing the game.

We do this most weeks. We clearly have a side good enough to match it with good teams (imagine how much better if we didn't have Sholl, McHenry and Murphy in the side)

Gold Coast - slow start chased game
Geelong - slow start chased game
Fremantle - hahahaha
Melbourne - average start, out classed but chased game
Carlton - chased game
Essendon - chased game
North Melbourne - attacked game - won
Port Adelaide - Attacked game - won
Brisbane - attacked game - draw
Collingwood - chased game

honourable losses are one thing, but you genuinely have to look like winning the game for more than one quarter or last five minutes with a quick 3-4 goal burst.

Stupidity is doing the same thing over again and expecting a different result.

Last edited:
He was good when the list was rock bottom and we needed a ‘glass half full’ guy to front up to press conferences.

Having 3 wins from 10 in season 5 of a rebuild is not good enough. Luckily for him this is one of the most pissweak sporting organisations on the planet and we will let him waste another couple of seasons before we do something.

He was good when the list was rock bottom and we needed a ‘glass half full’ guy to front up to press conferences.

Having 3 wins from 10 in season 5 of a rebuild is not good enough. Luckily for him this is one of the most pissweak sporting organisations on the planet and we will let him waste another couple of seasons before we do something.
Was he though? We were the worst club at maintaining fitness during the 2020 shutdown. Zero leadership.

Was he though? We were the worst club at maintaining fitness during the 2020 shutdown. Zero leadership.

We were sold a narrative of a rebuild. So he got given this pass. Rookie Coach with rookie players.

In the end he is still playing 50% of the same senior players that Pyke had and reliant on traded stars and a few top end draft picks. He really hasn't produced a lot himself.

We were sold a narrative of a rebuild. So he got given this pass. Rookie Coach with rookie players.

In the end he is still playing 50% of the same senior players that Pyke had and reliant on traded stars and a few top end draft picks. He really hasn't produced a lot himself.
It was a crime that the teams abhorent laziness was used as a vehicle to deliver BS line about how we were always in a rebuild.

Remember when they we pushing the lie that 2018/19 were part of said rebuild, they didn't do that for long as even they have a little shame.

Back