Player Watch Matthew Scharenberg (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought he was quite good today.

The issues he's had with his body will basically mean he never turns into a star, but in the position/role he plays - he doesn't need to be.

A solid, reliable defender who performs his role week in, week out.

I'd take it.

Thats why with a full compliment of defenders he should be trained over off season and trialled down fwd. Club has pigeon holed him into a def spot even at VFL he goes straight to def never even tried to look at what else he has.
He's pretty unlikely as a forward though. No pace to get seperation. No great crumbing. Not that likely to clunk a pack mark. He'd be playing as a medium forward and we have a fair few with more dangerous skill sets.

Great game by Shaz today, picked up the loose men running inside defensive 50 with good awareness, multiple occasions taller opponents such as Wright which he spoiled exceptionally well in the pocket. 20 disposals with 95% efficiency, 7 contested possessions, 9 pressure acts and 10 one percenters great backmans game.

20 possessions
95% efficiency (highest in our team)
10 at 1% (highest in our team)
Terrific, again!, in the air.

Decision making superb.
Poise the usual, terrific.

He’s just a really good player with that special quality called, footy smarts.

Just knocks up making the right decisions.

Very good we have him.

He's pretty unlikely as a forward though. No pace to get seperation. No great crumbing. Not that likely to clunk a pack mark. He'd be playing as a medium forward and we have a fair few with more dangerous skill sets.

I reckon his pace has looked a lot better this year, I know he has set PB's but even on field he has looked a lot quicker then his previous seasons. Not a jet or anything but looks about average for an AFL player now.

I think he has a great set of hands and reads the ball in flight better then most, he can get separation through other means then raw pace as well. I'd like to see it tried.

Berg looked the goods today.

He just gets it done.

Is rarely outmarked, even when opposed to taller opponents.

With Langdon done for the year, hopefully the Berg is part of our backline in September...just so versatile.

Berg looked the goods today.

He just gets it done.

Is rarely outmarked, even when opposed to taller opponents.

With Langdon done for the year, hopefully the Berg is part of our backline in September...just so versatile.

He's gonna need to be now

You need to study our history more - in 1990 Paul Salmon and the Daniher brothers monstered all and sundry but we killed them out of the centre and dried up their supply.

Put Wells into that GF for one half and we win easily - tall isn't all conquering at all.
Perhaps so but we did drop regular full back Ron McKeown for the grand final to play our tallest defender Michael Christian on him, and he certainly curtailed much of Salmon's effectiveness. Did Terry Daniher play full back on Brown in that match? In any case, we must have belted them in the middle as Tony Shaw dominated and won the Norm Smith medal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon his pace has looked a lot better this year, I know he has set PB's but even on field he has looked a lot quicker then his previous seasons. Not a jet or anything but looks about average for an AFL player now.

I think he has a great set of hands and reads the ball in flight better then most, he can get separation through other means then raw pace as well. I'd like to see it tried.
Agree with this. I think people keep saying “he’s too slow for x and not fast enough for y” cause that’s what theyve grown accustomed to saying and hearing. IMO the eye test (as well as PB’s) tell me he’s not that god awful slow anymore. He’s average paced and his smarts make him quicker still.

Reckon a Luke Hodge-ish role suits Shazza pretty well.

Agree on his attributes, but I honestly can't see it happening. If the queue for third tall defender is long, he's got JDG, Stevo, WHE and Elliott and possibly Murphy competing for a similar forward role. Hine seems to like drafting medium height players who are good in the air.

Agree with this. I think people keep saying “he’s too slow for x and not fast enough for y” cause that’s what theyve grown accustomed to saying and hearing. IMO the eye test (as well as PB’s) tell me he’s not that god awful slow anymore. He’s average paced and his smarts make him quicker still.

Reckon a Luke Hodge-ish role suits Shazza pretty well.
He's smart but he struggles to go with blokes on the lead.

He does occasionally, won’t claim otherwise. But it’s not a liability in the sense he gets shown up time and time again.

He sounds perfect as a deep loose man. I know his intercept marking is not up there with Howe and Langdon, and at the moment Howe seems to be the loose man in defense going for marks but seems to do it a bit higher where the risk is lower if he doesn't mark it. I've only closely watched Scharenberg in person closely at VFL level lately but he always seems to take the smaller man who is not a leading or aerial threat. Maybe he is told to mind him loosely but be a third man up in marking contests and kill it because he's very good at that. I'd have him 10-30m out patrolling that area and making sure no long bombs inside 50 can get marked, and doing his little mop up jobs there, maybe going as high as half back only if his man takes him there or the zone shifts up.

He sounds perfect as a deep loose man. I know his intercept marking is not up there with Howe and Langdon, and at the moment Howe seems to be the loose man in defense going for marks but seems to do it a bit higher where the risk is lower if he doesn't mark it. I've only closely watched Scharenberg in person closely at VFL level lately but he always seems to take the smaller man who is not a leading or aerial threat. Maybe he is told to mind him loosely but be a third man up in marking contests and kill it because he's very good at that. I'd have him 10-30m out patrolling that area and making sure no long bombs inside 50 can get marked, and doing his little mop up jobs there, maybe going as high as half back only if his man takes him there or the zone shifts up.
Maybe, but to me his strength is out positioning an opponent in aerial contests,. Haven't really noticed him launch the way you'd want a bloke playing that loose zoning role.

Maybe, but to me his strength is out positioning an opponent in aerial contests,. Haven't really noticed him launch the way you'd want a bloke playing that loose zoning role.

Yeah he's probably far back in the queue for that role, I was forgetting Moore lives off doing that too. I hope he makes a role his own instead of being a spart parts man. As someone else said, his injuries have probably robbed his chance of being a star like his top 10 pick status would suggest but nothing is stopping him being a very, very solid defender which is not a bad thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back