• Andrew McGrath

Votes: 64 16.6%
  • Tim Taranto

Votes: 147 38.1%
  • Hugh McCluggage

Votes: 175 45.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The big three from 2017 have all made a big impact in the first two years of their careers. McGrath won the Rising Star award last season, but Taranto and McCluggage have had great years (despite receiving minimal media attention). If you could do a redraft, who would you take with #1?

Out of these 3 I would take Taranto, but McCluggage is entering the discussion. Having watched McGrath closely this year I couldn't have him anywhere near the other two players.

Out of these 3 I would take Taranto, but McCluggage is entering the discussion. Having watched McGrath closely this year I couldn't have him anywhere near the other two players.

I wanted McCluggage with our draft pick but have been very impressed with McGrath.

While I can see why others woyuld take the other two over him I find it harsh to say McGrath is nowhere near them. Care to elaborate why?

I wanted McCluggage with our draft pick but have been very impressed with McGrath.

While I can see why others woyuld take the other two over him I find it harsh to say McGrath is nowhere near them. Care to elaborate why?

I just don't think McGrath has influenced games to the extent the other two have. In McCluggage and Taranto I see solidly built and potentially dominant midfielders (based on their performances this year). In McGrath I see a smallish wing man who is struggling to have an impact.

Huge performance from Mccluggage against the Hawks today, probably the most influential player on the ground and a big reason why we won. He really is starting to explode as a player. Very glad he was there at pick 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McCluggage reminds me of a Simon Black. Super smooth player. I think he could potentially follow a Josh Kelly trajectory into one of the very best mids in the game.

Tarranto, I haven't been as besotted by him as many. He is super tough, but I just don't think he has the class of McCluggage. He will be a top liner but, no doubt.

McGrarth is an interesting one. Neat player. Good player. Just not sure what he will become at the bombers. Are we looking at a young Laird? I'm just not sure how he fits into a small midfield with Smith, Parish Zaharakis and Merrett.

McCluggage reminds me of a Simon Black. Super smooth player. I think he could potentially follow a Josh Kelly trajectory into one of the very best mids in the game.

Tarranto, I haven't been as besotted by him as many. He is super tough, but I just don't think he has the class of McCluggage. He will be a top liner but, no doubt.

McGrarth is an interesting one. Neat player. Good player. Just not sure what he will become at the bombers. Are we looking at a young Laird? I'm just not sure how he fits into a small midfield with Smith, Parish Zaharakis and Merrett.

Not sure I see the Kelly Mcluggage comparison. Both classy players but Kelly has wheels in both speed and endurance that Mcluggage will never have.

I too have no idea what type of player McGrath will be. Is yet to be given any real time in the guts and probably needs to add another 5 kgs to his frame before he can play there for long periods.

Not sure I see the Kelly Mcluggage comparison. Both classy players but Kelly has wheels in both speed and endurance that Mcluggage will never have.

I too have no idea what type of player McGrath will be. Is yet to be given any real time in the guts and probably needs to add another 5 kgs to his frame before he can play there for long periods.
McCluggage has great endurance for a 2nd year player, his rate of improvement from 2017 to 2018 is stark. I have been to all our games at the Gabba this year and McCluggage is one of our hardest gut runners which is not always evident on TV.

His speed is also under rated IMO, he glides over the field and covers and makes up ground on opponents rapidly.

Hugh McCluggage is going to be an absolute gun of the competition in a few years.

McCluggage has great endurance for a 2nd year player, his rate of improvement from 2017 to 2018 is stark. I have been to all our games at the Gabba this year and McCluggage is one of our hardest gut runners which is not always evident on TV.

His speed is also under rated IMO, he glides over the field and covers and makes up ground on opponents rapidly.

Hugh McCluggage is going to be an absolute gun of the competition in a few years.

Not saying he lacks speed/endurance but he's not near Kelly in those areas imo. Kelly came into the league with elite endurance and definitely has more toe then Mcluggage.

I agree that Mcluggage will likely end up a star of the competition I just don't see Kelly as a great comparison.

McCluggage will never need speed, he has a super sharp footy brain which takes him to dangerous parts of the ground to find the footy.
Very unique type of player, 1 of a kind, with very slick kicking skills.

Would love to have or play with Taranto but from the limited amount I saw of McCluggage this season, he looks like he'll overtake the other two. Still quite slight and raw, seems to be plenty left in his development.

Disagree with the part about Mccluggage not having endurance like Kelly.

Mccluggage ran harder than anyone on our list this year, recorded the highest GPS numbers for the year and was consistently near the top of GPS gameday stats. He actually topped the GPS distance covered stat for the first 5 consecutive games of the year for us. Very underrated runner and I think he could match it with Kelly going off the stats.

Last edited:
Personally think McLuggage & Taranto are very close... McGrath a bit behind but has the athletic traits to make up ground.

McLuggage for me reminds me a bit of Sidebottom - cool head, very balanced, crafty by foot.

Personally think McLuggage & Taranto are very close... McGrath a bit behind but has the athletic traits to make up ground.

McLuggage for me reminds me a bit of Sidebottom - cool head, very balanced, crafty by foot.
I like the Sidebottom comparisson. They both have little tricks to get out of trouble in congestion.

I like the Sidebottom comparisson. They both have little tricks to get out of trouble in congestion.

More like Pendlebury in the way he weaves through congestion like it's in slow motion.

A bit of both in fact. You guys have a ripper there. IMO Berry will be the better player in the long run though

Back