Votes: 64 16.6%
  • Tim Taranto

Votes: 147 38.1%
  • Hugh McCluggage

Votes: 175 45.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

They're all going to be very good. I'd order them:

1 - Taranto - just a jet, runs both ways and wins plenty of contested ball already
2 - McCluggage - huge improver this year, very cool head, has a bit of Sidebottom about him IMO
3 - McGrath - was the best last year by far & is still playing well but hasn't improved at the level of the other two.

Would love all three.

I think MccLuggage will have the highest ceiling. The other two are a bit more workmanlike.
Yep, McCluggage is going to be elite, you can see it in him already, he glides through traffic and is one of those players that seems to make time for himself ah la Pendlebury/Black. Contested work is under rated as well, a beautiful kick and can stick a tackle.

Very confident this guy is an AA level player in the making. So happy he was there at pick 3.

Just quietly- Jarrod Berry from the same draft is tracking extremely nicely, Patrick Cripps/Josh Kennedy(swans) type.

McGrath was superb tonight. He is a lightning fast, agile midfielder in the making, is extremely good one-on-one/ defensively, and breaks the lines offensively. He also shows that he can kick a goal and kicking bags will be the next stage in his development. There is nothing negative about him that could be enough to make me desire the other two.

Luggage thank you. You could see he was a cut above in his u18 season. Smooth and supple in traffic.

McGrath was superb tonight. He is a lightning fast, agile midfielder in the making, is extremely good one-on-one/ defensively, and breaks the lines offensively. He also shows that he can kick a goal and kicking bags will be the next stage in his development. There is nothing negative about him that could be enough to make me desire the other two.

I like the way Essendon have handled McGrath, starting him back and letting him work his way into the game.
Doesn’t appear to have any major weakness, looks like he will build year on year and become a gun.

They're all going to be very good. I'd order them:

1 - Taranto - just a jet, runs both ways and wins plenty of contested ball already
2 - McCluggage - huge improver this year, very cool head, has a bit of Sidebottom about him IMO
3 - McGrath - was the best last year by far & is still playing well but hasn't improved at the level of the other two.

Would love all three.
this

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mccluggage has improved significantly this year, particularly his contested work, he just seems to find space in traffic so easily and set up his teammates. The play seems to slow down when he gets the footy, a bit like Pendlebury, he's a very special talent.

It's taken me by surprise a bit at how quickly Mccluggage has improved this year compared to last year. Mcgrath was the clear standout last year but he's stagnated a bit this year, whilst the other two have taken their games to a new level.

All 3 have different strengths and all 3 will be gun players.

Its at least several years too early for this thread. Reckon McGrath gets marked down because of his exceptional first year, hasn't done much wrong in his second year but he set the bar pretty high for himself. He's definitely been progressing in his midfield development and we saw some of his trademark run and carry today against North. Has the ability to turn on a dime which allows him to really break the lines. If today was any indication, as time goes on we'll see him more often forward of centre as his career progresses.

I haven't seen heaps of the other 2 but when I've seen McCluggage I do think he has a great ability to move through traffic. Definitely a smooth mover. Its a great attribute to have in today's footy.

I saw more of Taranto last year than I have this year so I can't say much on him.

I doubt any of the teams are regretting their choices at present.

Andrew McGrath has had 20 times the media attention the other two have had in Victoria. It has to have a huge impact on people.

It’s a fascinating top three none the less.

Stoked to see McCluggage get going this year, probably the most potential of the lot with his ability of foot skills.

Happy with McGrath. Struggling with full training loads this year but he’s ridiculously consistent for a young bloke, performs at a higher level in the hottest periods, and even at 19 runs out games better than most of his team mates.

His tackle on Cunnington at a critical moment yesterday was a great example of what he will be doing in big moments for the next 10-15 years.

He’s still performing better than the other two on numbers, just hasn’t improved as much as they have this year

Obvious bias - but I have watched McGrath and McClugg a lot and I am very comfortable with Clugg.

He just has something very special about him, absolute gun for a second year player, he WILL be All-Australian.

Last edited:
Back