Up the Coasters Melbourne Accomodation Recommendations

Into The Black

All Australian
Aug 16, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Oh yes you can. Ticket inspectors prey on tourists not knowing where the free tram zone ends. You can guarantee they're standing at the tram stop directly after the free tram zone ends.
Been on trams all over Melbourne many many times, Never has an inspector seen my myki.

Dec 7, 2000
Victoria home of football
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles
Been on trams all over Melbourne many many times, Never has an inspector seen my myki.

They tend to focus on obvious targets. Students, tourists, people who look like they're from poorer socio-economic backgrounds.

I'm usually in a suit when on a tram and they either skip me or if I ignore them they move on.
I literally just ignore them and after asking a couple times they move on. If you fit one of the target groups they'll pin you to the ground and stand on your throat if you so much as fumble for your Myki.

campaigner___

Club Legend
May 30, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
They tend to focus on obvious targets. Students, tourists, people who look like they're from poorer socio-economic backgrounds.

I'm usually in a suit when on a tram and they either skip me or if I ignore them they move on.
I literally just ignore them and after asking a couple times they move on. If you fit one of the target groups they'll pin you to the ground and stand on your throat if you so much as fumble for your Myki.
On another note, what's it like supporting the eagle's while you live in melbourne?

Apr 8, 2016
Vietnam
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth

Another trick is to sit there playing with yourself and drooling. You will find most people leave you alone...

Dec 7, 2000
Victoria home of football
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles
On another note, what's it like supporting the eagle's while you live in melbourne?

You get used to being asked "why", which is hard to answer because even I don't know. Never lived in WA, but have always found a connection to the eagles.

But for the most part everyone is very meh about it. There's no rivalries or even a dislike for the Eagles. Mostly apathy.
The ignorance of us is something else though, everyone knows NN and Kennedy but would struggle to pick Shuey or Sheppard out of a crowd. I even suspect they'd struggle to pick Gov, Yeo and Gaff out of a line up, though at least those names would be familiar to them.

Into The Black

All Australian
Aug 16, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast

See what you mean. I normally travel with my wife or a group when going to the footy.Been that often probably just blend in .

Into The Black

All Australian
Aug 16, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
You get used to being asked "why", which is hard to answer because even I don't know. Never lived in WA, but have always found a connection to the eagles.

But for the most part everyone is very meh about it. There's no rivalries or even a dislike for the Eagles. Mostly apathy.
The ignorance of us is something else though, everyone knows NN and Kennedy but would struggle to pick Shuey or Sheppard out of a crowd. I even suspect they'd struggle to pick Gov, Yeo and Gaff out of a line up, though at least those names would be familiar to them.
Not wrong, a couple of years ago I was in a conversation with a fella in St kilda, he said he would love to go to Subi as it look awesome on telly. I had to inform him of the reality.

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Oh yes you can. Ticket inspectors prey on tourists not knowing where the free tram zone ends. You can guarantee they're standing at the tram stop directly after the free tram zone ends.
It announces it pretty clearly from the ones I've caught.

If they tried to give me a ticket, I'd just go with "I don't live here and won't be paying this" line.

It announces it pretty clearly from the ones I've caught.

If they tried to give me a ticket, I'd just go with "I don't live here and won't be paying this" line.

Had a weird PT experience in Sydney. The bus routes are owned by different companies and you need separate tickets for them (apparently). We all piled onto a bus on a change over and the driver just shook his head and said "You're from bloody Perth aren't you?" and let us all ride for free on the tickets we had from the prior bus.

..and Perth is backwards?

Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast

Yep this is exactly my situation. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Regarding accomodation, South Melbourne is a decent area. A few trams go to the city and the no. 1 goes to St Kilda Rd where you can walk to the G.

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
So I’m considering heading over for the preliminary final IF we make it that far, I’ll be at work for the semi and GF (******* spewing) so they’re not options.

I’ve never been to Melbourne by myself before, always been with my parents so they organised everything. I have no idea what the accommodation near the MCG is like, does anyone have any recommendations/areas I should avoid if I do end up booking a trip over? I’m not looking for a flash hotel, just need somewhere comfortable to sleep for a night or two. Preferably would like somewhere close to the MCG so I’m not running all across Melbourne during a prelim final weekend.
Can I recommend this place. Stayed there for the GF in 2015. The game was s**t, but the place was all I needed. A family has converted their back shed into a room, has a bed, desk, heater, and access to the bathroom (and whole house if you want). You can also get through the side gate so no need to come in the front door. 10 minute walk to the MCG

madfx

All Australian
Apr 7, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
so last year GF we were feeling super arrogant and stayed at the Vic hotel (it was pretty much the cheapest we could find) was actually pretty happy with it. Just around the corner from a whiskey bar and the Duke of West Coast, and has a decent little sports bar in the hotel itself.

Back