FITZROY, Aylesbury United, St Pauli
2bIhV7.jpg
vs
lGBlK.jpg

THE GAME: MCG, Sunday August 5th, 1:10pm AEST

HEAD TO HEAD:

Overall: Played 2, Melbourne 2, Franchise One 0

MEDIA

TV: 7mate (live in Qld), Fox Footy (live)

RADIO: ABC, SEN, NIRS

Ladder position

Melbourne: 16th
Franchise One: 18th

BETTING: Melbourne $1.36, Franchise One $3.25

LAST TIME: Melbourne 17.10 (112) def Franchise One 12.10 (82), Round 23, 2011, at the MCG

Melbourne won its first game under caretaker coach Todd Viney with the Demons surviving a scare at the MCG that Sunday afternoon.

After a tight contest in the first half, the Demons powered away in the third term, kicking six goals to one, to set up their first win since beating Port Adelaide in round 17.

Brad Green sealed the win with a goal at the 12-minute mark, his fourth for the day.

After starting as the substitute last Sunday against the Tigers, Green led from the front but was well assisted by youngster Sam Blease (28 disposals) who provided some much needed run off half back, and midfielder Nathan Jones (25 disposals).

Franchise One appeared to fall away from their structures at times, allowing Melbourne's loose man Colin Garland to dictate the game on his terms.

The Russky dominated the hitouts as he so often does. The Demons finished with 49 hit outs for the match - 39 of those to Jamar, while Zac Smith only managed 13.

Once again, Gary Ablett was a factor with 28 touches and six clearances, while his brother Nathan (11 disposals) struggled to have an impact and was gifted a goal by Gary in the final term.

It was the first time the two brothers have played at the MCG together since the 2007 Grand Final when Geelong beat Port Adelaide, in which Nathan kicked three goals before calling it quits.

The only sour note for the Demons was losing exciting forward Liam Jurrah in the third term.

He took a fantastic pack mark but landed awkwardly on his left shoulder. He was subbed off straight away and spent the remainder of the game on the bench with his arm in a sling.

In just his fourth AFL game, young Melbourne defender Sam Blease was outstanding. He provided the Demons with some dash off half-back with seven rebound 50s from his 28 touches, and looks to be a player of the future. Also superb in defence for Melbourne was Colin Garland (29 disposals) and James Frawley (21 disposals). Hard working midfielders Brent Moloney (22 possessions, eight clearances) and Nathan Jones (25 possessions) were also important players for the Demons.

For Franchise One, midfielder Michael Rischitelli was one of their best with 30 disposals, six clearances and two goals. He had a superb first half with 19 touches but went missing in the third term along with the rest of his teammates, before finishing off the game well. Captain Gary Ablett was as usual another solid contributor with 28 touches as was David Swallow (25 disposals).

Tom McDonald made his debut for the red and blue after being selected in the 2010 NAB AFL Draft at pick number 53. The key defender slotted in nicely into the Demons' back six with a solid 18 touches in his first game.

GENERAL INFO:

In my time as one of this great country's leading pundits, I was well known by all and sundry, who sought out my opinions on politics, religion, sport and a variety of other subjects.

I always believed I had a deep knowledge and understanding about the game of Aussie Rules until one day, this young bloke turned up in front of me, angrily snubbed his nose up in my face and told me to STFU. To him, my opinions on the football were "long-winded, boring and irrelevant".

How dare he?

I was a keen student of the game and I got a lot of my inside information from listening to talk back radio and reading the sports pages of the little newspaper which was full of stories written by people who had contacts inside the various league clubs. Surely, the sources of my information were impeccable?

Later, after thinking about it a little more, I realised that time was indeed passing me by in this new world of digital electronics and whiz bang gadgets. Perhaps I was becoming irrelevant?

I'm in retirement now. I live in this nice nursing home and although I occasionally get to watch a game on TV, I usually manage to fall asleep even before the result's done and dusted (which these days means by half time). I hardly ever get to read the newspapers because the print's too small and the eyesight's failing and most of the people here knit or play lawn bowls so I don't really know much about what's going on in the AFL any more. I suppose that's what makes me feel even less relevant than ever before.

However, I always eagerly anticipate the latter half of the week as Biff, Rand and CA look towards me to write the preview for our upcoming match.

Somewhat bemused on Monday, I asked a friend, "who in blazes are the Gold Coast Suns?". He replied that this were one of the new franchises that joined the competition last year.

"You mean like Hungry Jacks or Domino's Pizza?"

"No, they're an AFL team that plays at Carrara. Gary Ablett Junior's their captain."

"Ablett? Well, that's okay then. Brock'll fix him up." Brock was one of my favourites.

The next revelation hit me right between the eyes, when I discovered Brock's defection from Melbourne at the end of 2009 because of a problem he had with the club's "experimentation" that went against the grain of everything he'd ever been taught. So he decided to leave and head to a club whose traditions were seeped in integrity and honesty. I was incredulous as I read through the events of the week in further detail.

There was one thing that puzzled me but no sooner had the words leapt out of my mouth that I realised that my question was totally irrelevant.

"You would think with three experienced journalists and commentators doing the interview, one of them would have asked him why a man who held such lofty principles could have possibly gone straight to a club whose reputation not only for tanking but for generally rorting the system was legendary?"

It was at this point that all those years of spouting conspiracy theories gripped me and in a moment of inspiration, I understood what this was all about and it had very little to do with the practice of tanking.

The whole thing was a set up. The puppeteers were pulling the strings to perfection. The kid who not long ago publicly claimed he contracted aids from somebody's mother had left what passed for his brain in the studio's green room. They knew from the start that he would take the bait and it played itself out perfectly for them. The agenda and the people behind it soon became apparent.

As I put this proposition to my visitor, I suddenly felt that I was becoming relevant again.

He was almost out of the door when I noticed he had left me with several copies of the sporting sections of the week's newspapers to help with the research for my story. All that was left for me to do was to wade through the rubbish and sift through half a dozen beat ups and testimonies from former players and officials and then I could write my match preview.

That was the easy part.

The game is totally irrelevant. Or at least it should be.

KEY POINTS:

MELBOURNE

1. This game represents another rare opportunity to take on an opposition with fewer games experience. In 16 of the 17 games this season, we've gone into the game behind the opposition in terms of experience and lost 15 of them. In the one game where we had more experience - against Franchise Two in round 12 - we won by 78 points.

2. Lost to some extent in the defeat against North Melbourne was the improved performance of returning midfielder Brent Moloney. He gained 29 disposals, a number that indicated a welcome return to the ball-winning form that has been missing all season. Although Moloney made the odd mistake, finding the football was a major step in the right direction. Along with Nathan Jones, who had 32 disposals and a massive 10 clearances, the Demons had two players gain more than 25 possessions, a rare event this season. It needs to win the ball in close this week otherwise the Suns' outside run will hurt them.

3. Jeremy Howe again put forward his weekly mark of the year nomination. He waited until the last minute of the game this week before using the Kangaroos' Scott Thompson as a stepladder. Howe was dynamic as usual, using his leap to great effect at a forward stoppage when third man up at a ruck contest, putting Jones into enough space to find the goals. Good in the midfield, Howe is being forced to help out in the depleted forward line. He shapes as a key player this week.

4. Jordie McKenzie will need to return to his tight checking ways to subdue the Suns' superstar Gary Ablett. Returning from injury last week McKenzie took a bit of time to lock on to his direct opponent, occasionally hunting the ball and leaving either Daniel Wells or Ryan Bastinac in too much space. If he, and his teammates who will be expected to lend support, give Ablett room to move Melbourne's defence will be put under enormous pressure.

FRANCHISE ONE

1. Disposal efficiency killed them last week. The younger players showed endeavour against the Swans, but once they got the ball the problems began. Taylor Hine (26 disposals), Trent McKenzie (25) and Dion Prestia (24) were three of the more committed Suns, but each had an efficiency rating of less than 60 per cent. They also had 53 clangers for the match - fairly typical for that team this year.

2. In the past four weeks Franchise One have a differential of plus 11 in the clearances and have only been narrowly beaten in contested possessions (by an average eight per match). But in general, along with the other franchise, they are worst in the league in both areas.

3. Franchise One are still toying with finding their best key position players and are struggling to find the right combination. Sam Day will return to the forward line this week after having a rest against the Swans, while Tom Lynch (17 disposals, six marks, one goal) and Charlie Dixon (12 disposals, five marks, 11 hit-outs) were solid in his absence. At the other end, Matthew Warnock took up the role at full-back, and Steven May did a reasonable job at centre half-back in his return from injury. But just which players at which end is still a puzzle.

_________________________________________________________________________________

From Chief:

Video Streams

International viewers can get live video of games from http://www.afl.livesport.tv/.

Local viewers can see games on Foxtel or via XBox or T-Box.

Please do not post in this thread asking for links to streams. Your account will be suspended for a day.

Melbourne has won its past two matches against Franchise One

Memorable match
Round four, 2011: Melbourne 23.21 (159) def Franchise One 9.15 (69) at the Gabba

Playing at the Gabba in front of a crowd of more than 12,000, Melbourne led from early on, and drew away late in the game to take the honours by 90 points. Brad Green booted four goals for the winners and Brent Moloney (32 disposals) and Colin Sylvia (31) shone for the Demons.

Milestones

Melbourne: Brad Green - Green is due to play his 251st game this week, taking him level with James McDonald in seventh spot in the club’s history. The most games for Melbourne in club history are David Neitz (306 games, 1993-2008), Robert Flower (272 games, 1973-87), Adem Yze (271 games, 1995-2008), Jim Stynes (264 games, 1987-98), Steven Febey (258 games, 1988-2001), Brian Dixon (252 games, 1954-68), James McDonald (251 games, 1997-2010), Brad Green (250 games, 2000-current), Jeff White (236 games, 1998-2008) and Brett Lovett (235 games, 1986-97).

Coaching record

Mark Neeld: 17 matches, 2 win, 0 draws, 15 losses
Guy McKenna: 39 matches, 4 wins, 0 draws, 35 losses

Injury list

Melbourne: Clint Bartram (knee) - season, Jamie Bennell (knee) - season, Mitch Clark (foot) - season, Aaron Davey (foot) - season, Max Gawn (knee) - season, Mark Jamar (calf) - 2-3 weeks, Liam Jurrah (ankle) - 2 weeks, Daniel Nicholson (jaw) - 2-3 weeks, Ricky Petterd (hamstring) - test, Rory Taggert (back) - indefinite, Josh Tynan (concussion) - test, Jack Watts (ankle) - test

Franchise One: Nathan Bock (leg) - season, Daniel Gorringe (Achilles) - indefinite, Jack Hutchins (kidney) - season, Jaeger O’Meara (groin) - season, Alex Sexton (hip) - season, Seb Tape (knee) - season, Rory Thompson (ankle) - season, Joel Wilkinson (ankle) - 1-2 weeks

Players to watch

Melbourne: Brent Moloney

The midfielder bounced back from a two game absence from the side to produce arguably his best match for the season against North Melbourne last round. The reigning club champion has had a frustrating season, but he worked hard to collect 29 disposals against the Roos - second only to teammate Nathan Jones.

Franchise One: Matthew Warnock

Although he played against the Demons in the opening round of the NAB Cup this year, the defender will play against his former team for the first time in a home and away match. Warnock has had a relatively strong season, playing every match and winning a career best 222 disposals. His 18th match this round will mark the most he’s played in a season.

Most disposals
Melbourne: Nathan Jones (395)
Franchise One: Gary Ablett (527)

Most marks
Melbourne: Jeremy Howe (96)
Franchise One: Matthew Warnock (68)

Most tackles
Melbourne: Jordie McKenzie (98)
Franchise One: Gary Ablett (81)

Most goals
Melbourne: Mitch Clark (29)
Franchise One: Harley Bennell (20)

Quotes from Mark Neeld:

“The first quarter, they were pretty slick the Kangaroos. They move the ball too quick for us to handle at this stage, but that’s OK - that’s where we’re at. At quarter-time, there would’ve been a few people at the ground thinking ‘it’s going to be a 120-point loss here’. And I reckon they’ve seen it before and it wasn’t.

“I thought the second quarter we dug pretty deep- the second and fourth quarters, we were quite pleased with - the effort and ball movement and scoreboard, but the third quarter was below AFL standard and we need to eradicate that as a footy club.

“We’re at a stage where we’re delivering in most games - two to three quarters of reasonable, competitive football. We’ve got a young group, but as long as the core of the group remain together and understand that 75 per cent won’t get the job done.

"The way that our players have trained and they have gone about their business this year has been really professional. [They are a] really young group, inexperienced and they are learning to play footy in a particular way, they are learning to conduct themselves as AFL players and they are doing a really good job.

"Our club has had a few issues this year to deal with that are a little bit unusual and there is a lot of learning to do.

"There's never been an issue with Brent's attitude or work ethic. He was out of the side because he couldn't find the ball. He's come back today and did some really good things. It was nice; one of the conversations we had with Brent, for a few weeks there, it looked like he was carrying around the Southern Stand on his shoulders ... it was just about him going back and playing without it, and I thought he did that today.

"We need to do a little bit of reshaping to our list but we have got a core group of players who will be really good for our footy club. People keep asking why it is that we can’t [perform consistently]. Our reality is that only on one occasion this year have we fielded a more experienced team than the opposition.

“We realise that we’re developing a new game style, and we’re realising that we’re in a development phase. We are working very hard on it, but understand that we’re inexperienced and developing. We know where we are in terms of an age bracket and an experience bracket. We’ve averaged, every time we’ve played a game of footy this year, 65 games of experience per player.

“We’ve seen some improvements with a whole heap of areas and we also know that nearly 150 games of AFL footy have been played this year and only three times has the winner had less than 65 games of experience.

“They’re showing some improvement and we’ll be up against a side of similar experience, so it’s a really good opportunity to put our best foot forward.

"We're adamant we're not just going to let the last five rounds peter out. There's always things to play for at elite level AFL footy. We've got a predominantly young group and they're very clear with how they want to conduct the Melbourne footy club's business, and their role is on the field.

"It's very important we all keep driving those standards, and AFL clubs we know are fluid with regards to the people that play each year, and it's really important they keep driving those standards. As they become more experienced themselves, they become ingrained, and when people join the group, they're really clear with them as to what those standards are.

“We want Liam (Jurrah) to have a bit more conditioning before we put him out there to play a game of footy. I’m not one to give games away. Lucas (Cook) missed the pre-season, so he’s been at our football club for two years and has yet to complete a full pre-season. He started late [this season] and missed a few games and halfway through the year in the VFL, he’s just starting to string some games together.

“We think that Lucas is going reasonably well at VFL level, but he hasn’t played yet enough footy to really warrant AFL selection. It’s not the correct thing to put him into the side just yet, because he’s not ready to go.

“Jordan (Gysberts) was a high draft pick and he’s had an unfortunate run with injuries. He broke his ankle at the start of the year and then he came back and broke his jaw - it’s not ideal, so he’s been back for five weeks. Having missed a chunk of footy, being a midfielder, he’s really working on his game fitness and he’s not too far away - if Jordan continues the form that he’s in.

“Michael (Evans) certainly hasn’t [got AFL match fitness]. He’s had two games in the VFL and to be ready to play in the AFL is certainly not for Michael. He’s got a lot to gain by playing in the VFL in the short term - [he’s] just getting used to playing and the rigours of playing, recovering and getting up again.

“Cale played really well last week in the VFL for Casey against Frankston. He’s in pretty good form Cale, so he’ll go close.

“We’re a little bit torn as to where to play Jeremy (Howe) each week. We realise we need some marking ability in the forward line and Jeremy’s not a key forward size. We’re forced at the moment, due to personnel and injuries, to be playing Jeremy between the two positions.”

Quotes from Rory Taggert:

“It's (recovery from the back injury) been a lot slower than last time, so it’s been a bit more frustrating.

“I was in a fair bit of pain. That night, I couldn’t get out of bed or do anything without being in a lot of pain. The next week I came out and I was happy with my game and I thought I’d got rid of it. But during training that week, I did a big spoil and landed on my left leg heavily and felt it then. I was sent off for scans and it was another one.

“I did most things right until I came back and started playing, but I couldn’t really control what happened.

“We’ve taken a bit more caution in it, so I can make sure I get it right before I attempt any running or big contact. I’m about two weeks off running, and I’m slowly starting to get some weights into my program.

“The first time I got that pain, it felt like it was something in my hip. I got it worked on, but most people with stress fractures are in a huge amount of pain, whereas I was in a little bit of pain.

“But they said it wasn’t that one incident that made it occur. There were heaps of other things taken into account - full-time training, full-time weights and training from two times a week. It was a big difference to my body, and I couldn’t quite cope with it.

“Due to overcompensation, I now have it in my left side. I went and saw the head of Australian cricket’s [medical] guru and he said ‘it’s really common that it can happen to the other side’. So it was just a matter of time until it went, which was pretty annoying.

“Before you’re drafted, you don’t actually know what goes on. But once you’re here, you can see everything you do, and it’s definitely for a reason. It’s the best program I’ve been in, but it’s better than I thought it would be.

“The first day I came here, they said I was a midfielder, which was a bit different, because I grew up as a forward my whole life. It’s a new thing to play in the midfield and I’ll learn a lot and I feel like I learned a lot already, even when I did play in the VFL. I’ve still got a long way to go, but hopefully I’ll get there eventually.”

“I was on a real high getting drafted, but then I couldn’t train after December, because I had something wrong with my shin. I was in full-time training just before Christmas, and when you’re doing that, you really feel part of it. But when you’re in rehab, it’s pretty lonely sometimes.

“The program I’ve been given, I haven’t had any pain with it, so they’re slowly starting to ramp it up for me. So I should be right for the first day of pre-season.”

Quotes from Colin Sylvia:

“The endeavour and effort was there once again, but we’ve just got to put it all together for four quarters. We played two quarters only and two quarters we got scored against heavily. I was probably not as defensive as I should’ve been in the first half, when I was in the midfield. But I was lucky in the last quarter to bob up and kick a few goals.

“I felt I worked really hard in my rehab. I don’t think it was as hard as what everyone thought, and I enjoyed a lot of training and I felt like my fitness was really good,” he said.

“But the club showed some faith, and after the break I feel that I’ve given them a little bit and strung a few games together, although I haven’t been quite consistent. On the weekend, I probably backed off a little bit.

“It’s been a pretty tough year in a lot of ways. We understand where we’re at as a team, and we just need to keep improving and get the most from the last five rounds. Hopefully we’ll get another few wins on the board and build some confidence, so it can set us up for a really good pre-season in October.”

Quotes from Jake Spencer:

“We talked about it throughout the week, and we thought we’d be a real show, but when you keep giving teams starts like that, it puts you on the back foot. As Neeldy said to us, when you put in 75 per cent effort, you get 75 per cent results.

“It was a disappointing day for the club and Greeny, because we really wanted to get up for him, and it’s a real shame that we didn’t have a crack for four quarters.

“Statistically, in our KPIs, we weren’t too far off in the first quarter. They were just better than us at the end of the day, but we’ve got to get rid of these fadeouts in quarters. In the third quarter, we weren’t good enough and we didn’t have a crack and our KPIs showed that, so that’s the disappointing thing.

“I let the team down a few times, ball watching and with some defensive efforts. But it was probably the best I’ve rucked I’d say. It’s an area I need to keep knuckling down on, if I’m to gain another contract. So I’ve got the glass half full.

“I’ve been pretty fortunate. I wasn’t playing too well in the VFL and big ‘Russian’ (Jamar) went down, so it gave me that opportunity. It’s probably do or die for me now, so I’ll keep having a crack and see how we go.

“The body is starting to feel good, but in the first half of the year I didn’t have a lot of confidence. I was pretty flat, but now I’ve got a bit more confidence in the body and I’m starting to run games out. You need that whole pre-season and I missed a fair chunk of it with my knee, so hopefully I’m still here in three months’ time and I can have a real crack at the pre-season.

“You look at it and the injury itself - it’s the best thing in the world that can happen to you, because it can open your eyes. I wasn’t up to the standard I needed to be at this level, and I really tried hard to turn that around with recovery, physio and the finer details. It really makes you appreciate the game and your spot on the list a lot more.

“It’s good to not be completely blown out of the water at the top level and [know that I can] match it with these guys, but I still need that pre-season to finish off games. You get tired and you’re not as conditioned as you need to be.

“I love the opportunity I’m getting towards the end of the season, but at the same time I’ve still got to play well enough to keep my spot. You either behave yourself in or behave yourself out, and I love the club, so I really want to be here.”

Quotes from Brad Green:

“At three quarter time - it was a blunt message. Neeldy basically put it to the boys and said ‘it’s about time this club stood up and was counted for something’. And to their credit, they responded a little bit in that last quarter.

“In the third quarter, it wasn’t AFL standard and he bluntly told us that at three quarter time.

“North Melbourne just moved the ball too easily. These indicators that we look at as a club - those indicators show that we didn’t put pressure on them.

“I’m proud of the 250 games of course. But I said to the boys before the game in the huddle, ‘it’s not about me - it’s a team sport and all I can ask from you today is that you give it your best and you play your role and go out there and give it your all’.

“We need everyone contributing and 22 players need to contribute on the day - that’s what I asked them to do, and that’s what you need in team sport. It’s not about me. I can look back on this when I retire.”

SUMMARY:

Obviously we enter this match as favourites - hasn't happened often during this season - but we need to make sure we don't give this franchise any chance to force the issue. Aside from last round’s comprehensive loss to Sydney Swans, Franchise One narrowly went down to Geelong and Brisbane Lions in the past month.

Franchise One were gone after the first 10 minutes against Sydney last week, as the Swans ran riot in a 72-point win.

After the two wins against Essendon and Franchise Two, our performances have been mixed in recent weeks, to say the least. Several quarters have been impressive, while others have been abysmal.

Obviously we're still undermanned, with the longest injury list in the comp, including the Russky, Mitch, Stef, the 'Cane, Watts, and many others, and remain down on morale. The clearest edge for us being an obvious physical advantage all around the ground.

It's hard to see Gold Coast competing for four quarters. Ablett does love playing on the 'G and you can expect him to have a big game, but he can't do it all on his own and would need support from the likes of Bennell, Harbrow, Caddy and Brennan if they were to challenge, which is unlikely.

And since we're yet to lose to one of these franchises, and it shouldn't happen any time soon, this is certainly an opportunity to build up confidence while chalking up another win.

The clash between 16th and 17th is a game in which every aspect of team selection and every move that the coaches make is likely to come under scrutiny for all the wrong reasons by suspicious journalists and others struggling to make a sensational story out of nothing.

But that effort's pretty needless as far as this game goes. Unless we somehow lose, and then we may as well paint big "Kick Me" signs on our collective arses, bend over and give everyone else the nod.

ANALYSIS:

According to the script, Melbourne's season is over. In truth, it was over several months ago when the script was first written.

The story of the Demons' game against the Kangaroos at Etihad Stadium is one that could have been written several times over during season 2012. The team, severely depleted of talent and well behind the necessary standards of fitness and skills, ran out and were ambushed by a far superior and more strongly focussed opposition. It was over before they even saw it coming.

In the absence of All-Australian ruckman Mark Jamar, Todd Goldstein dominated from the outset to give his midfielders an armchair ride - as if they needed such an advantage against a substantially inferior on-ball division. Ryan Bastinac had North's first goal on the board just one minute and thirty seconds into the game. By the fifteen minute mark they had four goals and change to nil. Colin Garland had the Demons' first score on the board nearly four minutes later - a point kicked under pressure. Drew Petrie's first and North's fifth came just after the 20 minute mark and Melbourne had yet to score a major.

They were too fast and too slick, and it was obvious.

The game was almost over but there was still time for the team to scrap their way to respectability, which they did for a while. Sam Blease soon kicked his team's first and midfielders Nathan Jones and Brent Moloney led the fightback by working their butts off. The deficit at half time was 25 points and Melbourne had even won the second quarter (by a solitary point)!

Moloney played his best match for the season. On the back of an outstanding year, he's endured a frustrating 2012. After a two-match stint out of the side, he won 29 possessions to be among the best.

The third quarter was a repeat of the first, with less effort going in, and rightly described by Neeld as not up to AFL standard. It took only 14 seconds for Adams to mop up from a spill and nail the first of five Kangaroo goals in a little over the first ten minutes of the second half. By that time, the Demons were done.

We did get to see Brad Green kick three goals and to demonstrate some of the brilliance that had him held in such esteem over a stellar career.

Of the 1288 players to represent Melbourne, only eight Demons have reached 250 matches. On the weekend, Greeny became the eighth. He might be in the twilight of his career, but he has been one of our better performers since returning in the past three rounds.

In any case, junk time came early and North cruised its way to a 54-point win - it's tenth in a row over a Demons side that simply had insufficient strength and run among its personnel, depleted by a long injury list particularly when compared with the hosts, whose only player missing through injury has yet to make his AFL debut and is well outside the best 22.

In 1987, Warwick Capper took three of the greatest marks you’re ever likely to see. They were all significantly different, but memorable in that season. While Capper took several other high-flying marks that year and in his career, Jeremy Howe has equalled this feat. Howe has almost been a weekly mark of the year contender, with his grabs against Sydney and Port the two best. Late in the game against North Melbourne - although it was well over by then - Howe took another brilliant mark, spring-loading off the back of opponent Scott Thompson and falling backwards from the ride. He's provided many highlights in an otherwise painful year.

Neeld said in the lead-up he felt his team was "two years behind several of their rivals". That's a fair assessment and reflects on his team's current list, which can be addressed by recruiting at the end of the year, by improvement during the off season and by a regeneration and return to health of many injured players.

The significance of Neeld's comment is underlined by the debate raging at more than one other club about what is necessary to improve a team's fitness and conditioning. We knew from the beginning, several months ago, that it was not possible to fast track the process whereby the fitness levels of Melbourne's list could reach the levels of the better sides in a short space of time. It's a process that will take at least two or three pre seasons of hard work and in the meantime, ambushes of the sort we have been witnessing this year will come back again and again.

Only when the team's fitness levels are at their optimum can we expect all players to display better skills and decision-making. Only then will they be able to regularly get to the ball first, break through tackles and do all of the things that come naturally to all good teams.

PREDICTION:

Well, our injury list is still ridiculously long and larger than any other AFL club. We're still struggling with our ball-use and our run and spread around the ground.

And we're still regularly failing to put up a full four-quarter effort, thanks in large part to our deficient fitness levels.

But up against this outfit, with the worst contested ball numbers in the comp, the worst contested marks, the worst tacklers in the league, the worst ruck division, the worst midfield, as shown by their clearance average and clangers (worst in both areas), even with Ablett there, and the second-worst forward line, as the comparative goals/game stats show, second-worst for inside-50s... we should have it all over them today.

Much like it was against the other franchise. I don't even want to think about the consequences if we lost this one.

Demons by 20.

Not full of confidence but hope we can get a good win. The first quarter will be telling.

And another mystery injury now, in the form of Jordie McKenzie. Oh goodie...

owusLa.gif
Magner a like-for-like replacement. But he's the sub for some reason. Who do we get to tag Ablett.

I understand the reasons why you dislike the 2 new sides Wonna, and fair enough too.
Personally I have nothing against GC, interested to see Matt Warnock and Liam Patrick (Jurrah's cousin). However, GWS can still G&GF as far as I'm concerned.

Is it the same injury he sustained a couple of weeks back?

We'll win by 3-4 goals.

Great pass in by Riv to Sellar after the kick by McDonald to start it off, and he slots it well from 40. Nice start :thumbsu:

Demons 1-0-6
Franchise 0-0-0

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hand-off by Tapscott to Bail inside 50, but his shot misses off to the left.

Demons 1-1-7
Franchise 0-1-1

Set shot by Greeny from 50 just misses right.

Lots of inside-50s our way early on and our ball-use is much better than theirs...

Demons 1-2-8
Franchise 0-1-1

And Greeny runs into an open goal to put through the second :)

9-4 in inside-50s now and we've got the vast majority of possession in our forward line...

Demons 2-2-14
Franchise 0-1-1

Another strong mark by Riv 35 out on the left, but misses the shot a fair way right.

Demons 2-3-15
Franchise 0-1-1

And Strauss has a chance to get his first, but misses right as well. We're all over them right now.

They're barely getting the ball past centre wing.

Demons 2-4-16
Franchise 0-1-1

Another good mark by Sellar 35 out in front, but he misses as well. This game'd be virtually over already if we were kicking straight.

Demons 2-5-17
Franchise 0-1-1

And a mark to Spence 40 out in front. Nice kick to convert that one :):thumbsu:

Spence is murdering them in the ruck as well...

Demons 3-5-23
Franchise 0-1-1

Great crumbing goal snapped by Blease from 30 and the game nearly is over now :D

Demons 4-5-29
Franchise 0-1-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back