Synth

I'm kind of a big deal
May 25, 2009
Bayside, Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melb City, Man City, NY Giants
I know its not yet set in stone but are you a fan of the name for the second Melbourne team?

Also, who is going to support them and why?

Don't hate the name, nor do I love it. That's my take on it, just a 'meh' really.

I'm 90% sure I'll support them, don't mind the Victory, but there's something about this new team that I feel is going to appeal to me more and I have absolutely no idea what it is. Probably the excitement of following a team from it's inception tbh, but provided they don't just appeal to the ethnic sections, I'll more than likely jump on them.

Melbourne City would be much better especially since no side has got city in their name yet. Even AFC Melbourne or AFC Victoria or Melbourne FC is decent and hasnt got a stupid "fury" or "roar" to it.

Cant remember where i heard it from but i think there was a rumour that the names suggested by the club could be Melbourne United :thumbsdown: we dont need another United :rolleyes: but it could get wanky supporters who only like Man U and snub the A-League if they wore read maybe :confused: and another name was like Melbourne 2009 :eek:

Melbourne City would be much better especially since no side has got city in their name yet. Even AFC Melbourne or AFC Victoria or Melbourne FC is decent and hasnt got a stupid "fury" or "roar" to it.

Cant remember where i heard it from but i think there was a rumour that the names suggested by the club could be Melbourne United :thumbsdown: we dont need another United :rolleyes: but it could get wanky supporters who only like Man U and snub the A-League if they wore read maybe :confused: and another name was like Melbourne 2009 :eek:

Melbourne City would be the best name for sure, but if Melbourne United came about, I think I'd hate them instantly as it looks far too similar to Manchester United, as you said.

I don't mind the name Heart, I don't know why though as I hate other nicknames in the league like Fury, Roar, Glory etc.

I reckon a name like Royal Melbourne or something would be good for the new team though, least it won't be another United.

I would be happy with either Melbourne United or Melbourne City. But I think City would be better. I like the A-League, but I simply refuse to follow a team that calls itself Victory. So if Melbourne City came in, you could count me in for a season membership.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne City would be an awesome name.

If they get a red and black guernsey then ill jump over to them for sure :D

I would be happy with either Melbourne United or Melbourne City. But I think City would be better. I like the A-League, but I simply refuse to follow a team that calls itself Victory. So if Melbourne City came in, you could count me in for a season membership.

Yet you have no qualms supporting a team called the 'Hotspurs' :confused:

Melbourne Hotspurs then?

Yes, but Hotspur has some history to it. It is not just a manufactured name like 'The Victory'.

Fair play.

Pretty hard to choose a name with historic grounds for a new club. But I understand what you mean- 'Victory' wasn't a name I loved to begin with. But the club is bigger than its name!

I remember there was a poll for Victory's original name a couple of years before it was established, and Sporting Melbourne stuck out like a sore thumb as a great name for a club.

I think Melnourne City would be a good name but kidna restrictive.

I hope West Sydney call themselves Western Sydney United or somehting, it woiuld be appropriate

I think Melnourne City would be a good name but kidna restrictive.

I hope West Sydney call themselves Western Sydney United or somehting, it woiuld be appropriate
The clubs should just call themselves Western Sydney United and Melbourne City as their official name and then incorporate a nickname - like Adelaide United being the 'Reds', Wolverhampton being the 'Wolves' and Fulham being the 'Cottagers'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back