Melbourne - Still there - arghh

Remove this Banner Ad

For decades Melbourne has been criminally underrated as a producer of cutting edge music, in my view.

Forget Manchester, forget Boston, forget Frankfurt.... Melbourne has been delivering for decades, and still is... You just have to to look.

but one example of many is Brat Farrrar. If they were out out of London or New York, people would be raving about them I reckon.

[YOUTUBE]j7auqoXatF8[/YOUTUBE]

anyway, this week is RRR subscription week.

Subscribe

For decades Melbourne has been criminally underrated as a producer of cutting edge music, in my view.

Forget Manchester, forget Boston, forget Frankfurt.... Melbourne has been delivering for decades, and still is... You just have to to look.

but one example of many is Brat Farrrar. If they were out out of London or New York, people would be raving about them I reckon.

anyway, this week is RRR subscription week.

Subscribe

Damn straight, Evo. History will look very favorably on the golden era of Melbourne pub rock over the last 20 or 30 years. Such diversity, and many of these often sharing the same bill.

Powdermonkeys
This Is Serious Mum
Cosmic Psychos
Harem Scarem
Blue Ruin
Spiderbait
Painters & Dockers
Tyrnaround
Seminal Rats
The Meanies
Huxton Creepers
Bo Weevils
Shower Scene From Psycho
Weddings Parties Anything
Tumbleweed
Crown of Thorns
The Wreckery
God
The Fauves
Legends of Motorsport
Eddy Current Suppression Ring
Even
Bored
The Puritans
Brady Bunch Lawnmower Massacre
Mr Floppy
Olympic Sideburns
Wolfmother
Rocket Science
Nursery Crimes
Have A Nice Day
Nick Cave

Feel free to add to the many I've missed.

Essendon Airport

I'm going to go through my cd's and try and find some more.

Brisbane and Perth seem to get all the kudos for pub bands and being from Adelaide originally I am aware of some ****ing amazing live bands from there of the years but I think every other city would struggle to beat the quality of that list of Melbourne bands over the past 40 years.

Leaping Lindner will be able to add some more to that list I am sure.

Bloodduster
Dreadnaught
The Fireballs

As for NZ, it must be a different NZ that I live in cos 95% of NZ music is fire trucking atrocious...

EDIT: Tumbleweed are from Wollongong.

Wolfmother are thankfully from Sydney.

Course they are.

Wolfmother are a bit of an enigma to me. I remember seeing them at Meredith circa 2004 and they rocked the place, even with only a couple of hundred punters actually tuning in. I go overseas for a few years and come back in 2008 to find they are almost universally despised amongst the fraternity who were taking them as their darlings in 2005.

I missed the hype AND the downfall, so only remember them from that great gig they played.

Bloodduster
Dreadnaught
The Fireballs

As for NZ, it must be a different NZ that I live in cos 95% of NZ music is fire trucking atrocious...

EDIT: Tumbleweed are from Wollongong.

Speaking of that Meredith gig, long time no see. How's tricks Pants?

Essendon Airport

I'm going to go through my cd's and try and find some more.

Brisbane and Perth seem to get all the kudos for pub bands and being from Adelaide originally I am aware of some ****ing amazing live bands from there of the years but I think every other city would struggle to beat the quality of that list of Melbourne bands over the past 40 years.

Leaping Lindner will be able to add some more to that list I am sure.

Leaping Lindner is a god. And the funniest radio host of all time

Leaping Lindner is a god. And the funniest radio host of all time

I think you mean stupidiest.:p

Melbourne is currently turning out some really great "young bands" (when I say young I mean the average age of it's members is at least half mine!)...

Bitter Sweet Kicks
Vice Grip Pussies
Valentiine
Dozers
Beat Disease
Money For Rope
Chaos Kids
Deep Heat
Late Arvo Sons
These bands are all virtual unknowns at the moment, with maybe a couple of independantly made CDs out, but the future is looking very good. I love discovering new bands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back