Preview Melbourne Vs Footscray @ MCG, Round 14, 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got it half right, I suppose, last week. I said we'd play better based on training form but there were still some simple skill errors in what was a better game plan than the one under Neeld.

Melbourne
Round 1: Port Adelaide 19.19 (133) defeated Melbourne 8.6 (54)
Round 2: Essendon 28.16 (184) defeated Melbourne 5.6 (36)
Round 3: West Coast 27.15 (177) defeated Melbourne 13.5 (83)
Round 4: Melbourne 22.12 (144) defeated Greater Western Sydney 15.13 (103)
Round 5: Brisbane 17.20 (122) defeated Melbourne 14.10 (94)
Round 6: Carlton 18.13 (121) defeated Melbourne 8.12 (60)
Round 7: Gold Coast 16.18 (114) defeated Melbourne 7.12 (54)
Round 8: Richmond 15.16 (106) defeated Melbourne 11.6 (72)
Round 9: Fremantle 19.16 (130) defeated Melbourne 6.4 (40)
Round 10: Hawthorn 21.17 (143) defeated Melbourne 6.12 (48)
Round 11: Collingwood 17.20 (122) defeated Melbourne 5.9 (39)
Round 12: Bye
Round 13: St Kilda 16.8 (104) defeated Melbourne 10.9 (69)

A better effort but it was still not enough to get under five goals to the Saints. However, there were a lot of positive signs, Clisby looked alright in his debut, Toumpas played his best game so far, and Col Garland was spectacular. I do think we have a chance against the Dogs.

Players To Watch:
Colin Garland: Simply superb against the Saints and earned the three votes in Danny Frawley's Golden Fist for his efforts. Garland had 28 disposals and prevented a shitload of goals which also gave him 144 SuperCoach points on the weekend - that was Roughead and Griffen levels this week. Garland is arguably favourite for Bluey in my eyes thanks to his consistency.

Mitch Clisby: Clisby had a very respectable debut, collecting 24 disposals off half back. The mid season rookie elevation is keen to impress under Neil Craig and I believe he will be keeping his spot for the rest of the season at least.

Jack Watts: Another that really impressed me on the weekend. Watts has stated he is keen to stay at Melbourne beyond the end of the season and his effort did not go unnoticed on the weekend. From 15 disposals, Watts kicked 2.2 and took six marks in a much improved performance. Amazing how a few players (Col Sylvia is another) have dramatically improved attitude since Neeldy left (although this has been discussed ad nauseum since he left).

Footscray
Round 1: Footscray 19.13 (127) defeated Brisbane 7.17 (59)
Round 2: Fremantle 16.10 (106) defeated Footscray 11.12 (78)
Round 3: Richmond 20.15 (135) defeated Footscray 10.8 (68)
Round 4: Adelaide 12.8 (80) defeated Footscray 4.4 (28)
Round 5: Geelong 15.17 (107) defeated Footscray 13.8 (86)
Round 6: West Coast 21.11 (137) defeated Footscray 10.7 (67)
Round 7: North Melbourne 22.19 (151) defeated Footscray 15.7 (97)
Round 8: Gold Coast 13.15 (93) defeated Footscray 8.13 (61)
Round 9: Footscray 17.8 (110) defeated St Kilda 15.11 (101)
Round 10: Footscray 10.7 (67) defeated Port Adelaide 8.10 (58)
Round 11: Bye
Round 12: Collingwood 15.9 (99) defeated Footscray 9.11 (65)
Round 13: Richmond 17.19 (121) defeated Footscray 8.13 (61)

Footscray have improved this season but their last couple of weeks have been a bit disappointing. Blown away by Collingwood in the first half in round 12, the Dogs were no match for Richmond for the second time this season. However, it must be remembered that their two wins before the bye, over the Saints and Port, were stirring and will fancy a fourth win for the season this week.

Players To Watch:
Ryan Griffen: Get this. Ever since round 21 last year, where Griffen amassed a career best 47 disposals, he has averaged 31 a game. That is seriously elite. Griffen had 38 disposals last week, and also collected 40 in the win against Port Adelaide. Griffen must be stopped first and foremost, yet I don't really see it happening. He is a superstar.

Adam Cooney: Although Cooney has battled his knee issues over the last few years it must be reminded that he is still a Brownlow Medalist and he is still damaging. Cooney had 23 disposals last week against the Tigers, another reasonable return in what has been a solid season.

Daniel Giansiracusa: The super sub for the Dogs, although there are other gun players he must be watched, especially if the game is in the balance. There is no substitute (pun not intended) for experience and Giansiracusa has been very good since retreating to a role of part time sub, part time coach.

Prediction
We're definitely a chance - we seem to match up pretty well on the Dogs, even though we have failed to beat them since 2007. Generally we run the Dogs pretty close and if we play at our best, we're a chance. However the Dogs have improved this season and deserve to go into this game as favourite. Should be a good game. Make sure you turn up to the game and perhaps catch a bit of the women's curtain raiser beforehand.

Garland is definitely well ahead in the Bluey I would have thought, has been immense all year.

Disappointed I won't get to attend this, I'm overseas so will be missing what is a very winnable game.

Griffen will destroy us, the man is a genuine star and I am heavily around him this year.

Boyd or Lower will tag Jones I imagine.

Our best chance of winning this year against a non-franchise club and I'm Dickberg rural NSW where it will most likely (100%) not be shown on TV. I'm so f-ing pissed off about that.

Thought my Foxtel Go app might cover it, but it’s on the ‘blackout list’.

Thought my Foxtel Go app might cover it, but it’s on the ‘blackout list’.

What is the blackout list? Can you not stream live sport using that? Son I am disappoint.

Just had a squizz at the Dogs board, some are calling for Boyd and/or Cooney to be dropped. Sorry what? We will have both of them if they don't want them.

Likely ins for them seem to include Dickson and Wallis.

What is the blackout list? Can you not stream live sport using that? Son I am disappoint..
Most sporting events, you can stream to your iPad using Foxtel Go App.
I guess there are some sports that you can't because Foxtel doesn't own the rights to streaming over the internet, which is what essential Go is.
Telstra have the rights to stream AFL, so I guess that's what it's about.
Most other sports are fine. I had a grand time stream LeMans 24hour to my iPad all weekend through EuroSport.
http://www.foxtel.com.au/whats-on/blackout/default.htm

blackout list games are normally the ones covered by 7.. dont think this one is?

edit: http://www.foxtel.com.au/whats-on/blackout/default.htm

its on the blackout list :(
Yeah it is. Further investigation shows the any AFL game not on FoxFooty i.e. FoxSports 3 insted, is on the blackout list. Live games on FoxFooty are ok!?!?!
* s**t campaigner *er. Damn you FoxFooty playing Cats v Freo on FoxFooty that night and not the Melbourne game

Nice write up, tasmanlvr.

Just had a squizz at the Dogs board, some are calling for Boyd and/or Cooney to be dropped. Sorry what? We will have both of them if they don't want them.

Likely ins for them seem to include Dickson and Wallis.
Boyd's turnovers are melting peoples brains these days. They're pretty frustrating. I'd be shocked if he's dropped though. He's pretty safe, imo.
Cooney I wouldn't mind dropping, or at least moving somewhere else on the field. Has a severe case of the fumbles, atm. But he'll most likely stay in too.

Boyd's turnovers are melting peoples brains these days. They're pretty frustrating. I'd be shocked if he's dropped though. He's pretty safe, imo.
Cooney I wouldn't mind dropping, or at least moving somewhere else on the field. Has a severe case of the fumbles, atm. But he'll most likely stay in too.

But he's your captain!

This is coming from Melbourne fans, we have seen enough senior players treated poorly to be heavily against dropping them.

But he's your captain!

This is coming from Melbourne fans, we have seen enough senior players treated poorly to be heavily against dropping them.

True. I'm happy with him staying in, but some people have been going a bit nuts (which I think has been over the top). His turnovers lately have been pretty soul destroying though. Often end up in opposition goals.
He's still important for us though, I think.

True. I'm happy with him staying in, but some people have been going a bit nuts (which I think has been over the top). His turnovers lately have been pretty soul destroying though. Often end up in opposition goals.
He's still important for us though, I think.

Yeah fair enough. Would you say he will retain the captaincy after this year? Or should it move on to Griffen?

Yeah fair enough. Would you say he will retain the captaincy after this year? Or should it move on to Griffen?

I think Griff is pretty much a certainty to get it. Would never have thought it prior to this year, but there has been a lot of talk from all the players and coaches in the media about his leadership.

I think Griff is pretty much a certainty to get it. Would never have thought it prior to this year, but there has been a lot of talk from all the players and coaches in the media about his leadership.

He has certainly looked more of a leader this year. I could watch him play all day long, he is that good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope the umpires aren't wearing pink.......

that loss still hurts.

s**t the game had it all. The Clint Bartram pass to an umpire, along with the Griffen dribble from the boundary with 30 on the clock, and the Scully 18 touch last quarter. Oh and who could forget Danny Hughes slotting through a couple, yes Danny Hughes. Think Bennell took MOTW, and GOTW as well.

Garland is definitely well ahead in the Bluey I would have thought, has been immense all year.

Disappointed I won't get to attend this, I'm overseas so will be missing what is a very winnable game.

Griffen will destroy us, the man is a genuine star and I am heavily around him this year.

Boyd or Lower will tag Jones I imagine.

Well travel safe mate, I think you are spot on about Griffin his running ability will tear us a new one, I feel sorry for the demon that has to line up on griffin,on Garland I think he is definitely top3 atm I believe Nat Jones is a shoe in for the Bluey a true leader and gives his heart and sole for our club!
Melbourne by 10 points 85 to 75.
I think James Sellar to come in and have a 1 in a 1,000,000 game 5 goals. just a preminition

I hope you guys never have to lament the absence of older blokes on your list with experience and who can perform.

Our club treated some quality older blokes with disrespect, I'd encourage your supporters not to do the same or you'll end up with the leadership void that we have.

Not saying this applies to you directly, but food for thought.

Oh boohoo we put up with that week in and week out from about 18 different players.

:(

Who will Garland go to? He's a super player IMO and is in good form. If you had Clark playing and Dawes fit then I think we could be in strife. I think our midfield is going to be far too strong and with our contested game it could be a blowout but if Griffen and co aren't on and If Jones, Trengrove etc can get their fare share it of it then we might be in trouble. Toumpas is the interesting one. Finally showed something last week and he looks to be an awkward player to match up on. He could be a big factor if given enough space.

Garland on Stringer I reckon, with McDonald on Jones. Do they have any other talls? If not maybe Garland takes Cooney with Pedersen on Stringer.

Is Frawley a possibility this week? I was thinking Frawley to Jones, McDonald to random tall player the dogs might have there, and Garland to be on Stringer like you said, but with the instructions to be rather aggressive in running off and creating some play. If Dawes is out I think Pedersen will be sent to the forward line, the dogs just don't have enough match ups for our excess of tall defenders.

Is Frawley a possibility this week? I was thinking Frawley to Jones, McDonald to random tall player the dogs might have there, and Garland to be on Stringer like you said, but with the instructions to be rather aggressive in running off and creating some play. If Dawes is out I think Pedersen will be sent to the forward line, the dogs just don't have enough match ups for our excess of tall defenders.

Yeah if Frawley comes in Pedersen forward could be a decent option. However I don't think they will risk Frawley against a forward line lacking in firepower. May as well give him an extra week,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back