Society/Culture Melbourne's Streets

Remove this Banner Ad

Seven years ago, Melbourne was rated the world's most liveable city by the Economist Intelligence Unit. This year the city is ranked No. 3. In other surveys, Melbourne is no longer in the top 10, and a rise in assaults is partly to blame.
Another big tick for the Bracks/Brumby ALP Government!

Suggests that the OP visits Jo'berg, Brasilia,Rio or, heaven forbid Medellin before casting aspersions on a relatively minor incidence of anti-social behaviour.

Seven years ago Melbourne was the worlds most livable city.

The area around Footscray train station however was a heroin trading area and an area known for robbery before that announcement, at the time of that announcement and now.

If you go back to the papers around if not exactly you will find a debate around safe injecting rooms and it was Footscray where this was most discussed.

Despite the Age article the situation around the area around the Footscray train station is not something that sprung up over night, it has been like that for over a decade.

And any large city in the world would be hard pressed not to find at least one suburb/district where there are not similar problems.

Suggests that the OP visits Jo'berg, Brasilia,Rio or, heaven forbid Medellin before casting aspersions on a relatively minor incidence of anti-social behaviour.

Medellin is actually pretty safe - I felt more unsafe in Caracas (Venezuela) when I was there in 2006. Ciudad Juarez on the U.S/Mexican border is my guess as the most unsafe place in Latin America today, along with Rio of course...

^^ Depends where you go, the centre is a seedy pit of vice, but zona rosa (thanks Pablo!) is great and pretty safe, groups of uniformed men with big guns on every corner.

Ah, Medellin, I do miss that city, good times! Did you stay at the Black Sheep by any chance?

I avoided Venezuela altogether, Caracas sounds like ahell hole, and by all accounts you are more likely to be robbed by the police as anyone else :eek:

How were to Angel Falls?

Large city has unsafe areas and a problem with alcohol and drug fueled violence - My god! Stop the presses!

So because big cities in developing countries have massive crime problems, we should think ourselves lucky that ours is less?

How easy is it to find crime statistics from the Vic police? I wonder if there is actually a substantive rise in crime that can be shown in figures. I do wonder if there is actually something that has changed, or if the ever-increasing news cycle is more to blame for the coverage about crime in Melbourne than anything else.

I suppose it's hard to get a sense over here in the US - although I have to say that the kind of crime Melbourne tends to suffer from (bashings, the odd stabbing, pub brawls and the like) pales in comparison to all the gang and drug-related shootings and random killings that seem to occur on a daily basis in urban Atlanta.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/so...the-streets-injures-us-all-20100110-m0l6.html

New Yorkers had such a vision in the late-1980s, when the city's crime had reached epidemic proportions - 2000 murders and 600,000 major crimes a year, with fear and anarchy governing the graffiti-covered subway system. But within a few years, New York became the safest big city in America. Murders dropped by three-quarters, the crime-rate plummeted, and people rode and paid for the subway without a second thought for personal safety.

How did the city achieve it? As Malcolm Gladwell explains in his book Tipping Point, the graffiti, vandalism and crime had been seen as the ''norm'' and had fostered more crime. When the city decided in the late 1980s that it wanted to change, it sent strong messages that vandalism and violent crime were not OK. Graffiti was scrubbed daily from subways, broken windows repaired, fare evaders caught, those with concealed weapons prosecuted. On the streets, they stepped up enforcement of laws against public drunkenness and minor property damage.

Mayor Rudy Giuliani attributed reduced violent crime to these civic actions far more than to any crackdown on drugs or change in the economy.
Another reason may also be a massive increase in NYPD numbers.

Now Melbourne is obviously nothing like New York, but it is getting progressively worse and something will need to be done at some point, so why not now before it gets too bad.

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/so...the-streets-injures-us-all-20100110-m0l6.html

Another reason may also be a massive increase in NYPD numbers.

Now Melbourne is obviously nothing like New York, but it is getting progressively worse and something will need to be done at some point, so why not now before it gets too bad.

Or you could go back to the early 70's when abortion was legalised. Aborting the criminals before they're born becomes an effective crime fighting strategy 18+ years on.

Can't wait for Howard and Costello's baby bonus to unleash a new generation of crooks in about 10-12 years.

Or you could go back to the early 70's when abortion was legalised. Aborting the criminals before they're born becomes an effective crime fighting strategy 18+ years on.
Unfortunately the Federal government just let a whole lot of them walk into the country with their immigration/refugee policies:mad:

The girls in Medellin make it worth it.

Off topic, but I always thought Medellin was, at least comparitively, fairly safe these days. Have you been?

The girls in Medellin make it worth it.

Off topic, but I always thought Medellin was, at least comparitively, fairly safe. Have you been?

Often, and there are sections which ooze fear and danger. Just my observations though. Rio, as more general rule of thumb, is far more sinister, I concede. And the women:thumbsu:, I married a Brazillian so I can speak from personal experience.

Re: the article itself it's quite refreshing to see. It's a very rare occurrence in our loony far left media. For example in Melbourne over the weekend a young Australian male while staying with his brother went out to investigate some noise involving a car only to be belted over the head with a bottle. He is now fighting for his life. The Hearld-Sun to their credit have foregone political correctness and say the police are looking for "four dark skinned individuals"

Back to the article I found this the most jarring passage of the times we find ourselves in thanks to the Federal government
"
Aged 16 to 19, of Samoan and Maori extraction, they make a corridor of threat at the station entrance and it's all for fun. When a train arrives, they smile broadly as the commuters hurry past, tight-faced and looking straight ahead.
One of the boys says he's on a court order to stay away from the station because of assaults he's carried out in the past. Another talks of ''so many stabbings'' he's done and now regrets.
The boys laugh, make noises. They tell me they won't attack the man if he comes down, but they want to keep him scared.
They say that later in the evening, a Sudanese gang will turn up and take over the scene. ''They're worse than us.''"

How easy is it to find crime statistics from the Vic police?

Big stretch to believe crime stats put out by govts. Good program in the UK recently on alcohol fuelled violence. One surgeon was very sceptical of govt stats showing a drop in violent crime so he went around a number of hospitals and collected stats for patients who were admitted to a&e arising from assaults where alcohol was involved.

The vast majority were not reported to the police. The stats put out by the govt were and are a joke.

I would be surprised if the same did not apply to Victoria.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back