Lion for Life

All Australian
Feb 14, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club,Chicago Bulls
At least they tried. Really imo a waste of resources.

A documentary following Chris Fagan this year and the rise of the Lions would make for much more interesting viewing.

Especially since no one really cares about Fitzroy anymore. And no one really cared about the bears either.

What a ridiculous statement and an insult to my entire family and the countless other passionate fans who bleed Fitzroy, the club may be gone but to assume nobody cares is simply wrong

Milux

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I was thinking 'how can I make my Saturday any better?'. Well think I found out how.

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

A documentary following Chris Fagan this year and the rise of the Lions would make for much more interesting viewing.

Especially since no one really cares about Fitzroy anymore. And no one really cared about the bears either.
Oh oh...

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Had no idea where to put this so have chosen here, although a bit late to add to the documentary.

The Actor Paul Cronin has passed away aged 81. He loved AFL and was granted a licence to start a club who were known as the Brisbane Bears

RIP Paul, loved most of your shows and more important loved your Bears which got me to where we are today. Thank you

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Had no idea where to put this so have chosen here, although a bit late to add to the documentary.

The Actor Paul Cronin has passed away aged 81. He loved AFL and was granted a licence to start a club who were known as the Brisbane Bears

RIP Paul, loved most of your shows and more important loved your Bears which got me to where we are today. Thank you

Club just released a statement.

LionsMaw

Bears/Lions hybrid
Oct 6, 2018
'TERF'ville
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
women
I saw the ad for this a couple of days ago and lamented the fact that I don't have foxtel or kayo. But given this will be on the Club website I will be watching with intense interest. No doubt there will be tears.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
Why would it it only be told from the Bears POV? Bizarre statement.

Because having been a member of the Brisbane Lions since 1997 I'm well aware of the official story of the 'merger' where the Bears triumphantly trumped North Melbourne's bid to merge with Fitzroy thanks to the never-say-die efforts of Noel Gordon and Andrew Ireland and their self proclaimed superior knowledge of corporate law. I even have the Lions' 1997 Year book still where the story is all laid out.

It's a bit different to the story told by some of the directors of Fitzroy in 1996, some of whom I know quite well. Looking forward for example to the comments by the likes of Dyson Hore-Lacy, David McMahon, Elaine Findlay, Colin Hobbs and Bill Atherton in the documentary. I wonder if the attempt to get the Fitzroy Football Club Hotel will be mentioned. I also wonder if the 2010 logo court case where the 'merger' partners ended up in the Victorian Supreme Court will get a mention at the end or whether there will be a mention of Fitzroy's continuing existance at the Brunswick Street Oval in the VAFA.

Last edited:

LionsMaw

Bears/Lions hybrid
Oct 6, 2018
'TERF'ville
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
women
Because having been a member of the Brisbane Lions since 1997 I'm well aware of the official story of the 'merger' where the Bears triumphantly trumped North Melbourne's bid to merge with Fitzroy thanks to the never-say-die efforts of Noel Gordon and Andrew Ireland and their self proclaimed superior knowledge of corporate law. I even have the 1997 Year book still where the story is all laid out. It's a bit different to the story told by some of the directors of Fitzroy in 1996, some of whom I know quite well.

What was the story from Fitzroy's end?

Sep 24, 2009
Right here
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Australian International Sides
Because having been a member of the Brisbane Lions since 1997 I'm well aware of the official story of the 'merger' where the Bears triumphantly trumped North Melbourne's bid to merge with Fitzroy thanks to the never-say-die efforts of Noel Gordon and Andrew Ireland and their self proclaimed superior knowledge of corporate law. I even have the Lions' 1997 Year book still where the story is all laid out.

It's a bit different to the story told by some of the directors of Fitzroy in 1996, some of whom I know quite well. Looking forward for example to the comments by the likes of Dyson Hore-Lacy, David McMahon, Elaine Findlay, Colin Hobbs and Bill Atherton in the documentary. I wonder if the attempt to get the Fitzroy Football Club Hotel will be mentioned. I also wonder if the 2010 logo court case where the 'merger' partners ended up in the Victorian Supreme Court will get a mention at the end or whether there will be a mention of Fitzroy's continuing existance at the Brunswick Street Oval in the VAFA.
You haven't seen it, but alredy preempting the content. So the alternate is don't tell any story and let everything go into a black hole of oblivion.

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
You haven't seen it, but alredy preempting the content. So the alternate is don't tell any story and let everything go into a black hole of oblivion.

Of course I haven't seen it. What i said was:

"I'll watch it with interest. See who is interviewed and whether it's an honest account of what happened or whether the story is told solely from the Brisbane Bears / AFL perspective."

What I am saying is that I hope there are also contributions from the actual directors of Fitzroy in 1996 and whether there's some discussion / mention of what actually went on such as the failed attempt by the Bears to get the Fitzroy Football Club Hotel and the 2010 logo court case which was a by-product of the 1996 events. Also hope there's an acknowledgment of the continuing existence of Fitzroy Football Club in the VAFA.

Oct 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars

No one cares about Fitzroy anymore? I know you are away with the fairies Billy, but that’s just bloody insulting. Would love you to listen to Arthur Wilson or Kevin Murray talk about Fitzroy, then see if you hold the same opinion. Fitzroy is in my blood and always will be.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Oct 3, 2006
Gold Coast/Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Phillip Island Bulldogs/Lions AFLW
As a Roy Boy from as soon as I could wear a knitted jumper (by nanna of course) and having been a QLDer for 10 years previously, I would love to watch this.

P.S. It's never great to see people pot Fitzroy; worse when it's on a board that should be *largely* immune to that crap.

P.P.S. Hate to sound like a pedant (or a hypocrite - I've certainly been known to turn in a few shockers in socmed promos) and it doesn't really fit the thread, but it seems like whoever the club has running the twitter/fb has a very tenuous grip on apostrophe's.

Oh boy...

What is the opposite of the Michael Jackson popcorn gif?
I now have a horrible mental image of Michael Jackson pulling popcorn out of his mouth and putting it in a popcorn bucket.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back