Remove this Banner Ad

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Have a feeling we are going there folks.

Did come across some info that we might be interested but nothing confirmed.

Noticed reports are starting to appear in MS media so Im thinking there's a fair amount of smoke now.

Having missed Gibbs it's about the last option that fits with what I believe was always our aim of adding an experienced mid.

I think the acquisition of Barlow will show clearly that the "organic growth" spin coming out since trade week is exactly that. If we don't pick him up then I will be more convinced that OG was always the go.

Anyway putting that aside, MB the player still seems to have plenty to offer as a big bodied mid that kicks goals.

Imagine a 2 year deal gets him across. Can't imagine CEY will be thrilled but what does everyone else think?

Was listening to triple M on the way to work this morning. The feel I got from listening to Roo talking about him was that we weren't against the idea.

95f950b9aa709b05b535787d84456d63.gif

Against the feelings that many here have posted, I can't see how he wouldn't add to our midfield. Would probably cost about the same as what Lyons would've (IMO), about the same speed, and has a similar sort of output (both quantitative and qualitative).

I wouldn't think CEY would be disadvantaged by us picking him up, as I think Barlow and CEY would take he places of Lyons and Thommo.

Regarding the 'spin', and this is the first time I've commented on it due to the steam coming from my ears, surely everyone can see that it WAS all spin, consolidation, putting the defenses up. Reid and Roo and whoever else was in it stuffed up majorly. They went for their man and they failed the bluff. Gibbs should've been a Crow right now, instead we'll be going for Barlow.

Bloody disappointing.

Have a feeling we are going there folks.

Did come across some info that we might be interested but nothing confirmed.

Noticed reports are starting to appear in MS media so Im thinking there's a fair amount of smoke now.

Having missed Gibbs it's about the last option that fits with what I believe was always our aim of adding an experienced mid.

I think the acquisition of Barlow will show clearly that the "organic growth" spin coming out since trade week is exactly that. If we don't pick him up then I will be more convinced that OG was always the go.

Anyway putting that aside, MB the player still seems to have plenty to offer as a big bodied mid that kicks goals.

Imagine a 2 year deal gets him across. Can't imagine CEY will be thrilled but what does everyone else think?

Interesting developments.

I am a tad torn on this one. On one hand Barlow would add some experience and depth to our midfield. On the other it could be to the detriment of developing some of the younger guys.
Regarding CEY, I have never been sold on him and I don't believe he gives us what we need in the midfield. I have said before if CEY had the endevour and intensity of Charlie Cameron he would be a beast.
I think CEY has made a mistake by not seeking other opportunities away from the AFC. He didn't get the opportunities this year even though his form in the SANFL was very very good, so In my mind what will change that?

I would rather see players like Knight cement a spot, Menzel to be given a run and Wigg to also be given a go. I would love to see a player the size of Greenwood get an opportunity through the middle as well.

I think the thing we lack from our mids is size as in height and bulk and Greenwood gives us that. Barlow gives us that as well.

I think if we go for Barlow it doesn't go against the "organic growth" strategy. I think we lost Lyons because we needed to let him go if Gibbs was joining our list for salary cap and list position vacancy reasons. I think when we traded him we still thought we would end up with Gibbs but couldn't wait until after the deal was done as we expected it might take place in the last minute of the period. Now we didn't get Gibbs and lost Lyons, Barlow would be the Lyons replacement.

Basically going after Barlow wouldn't be to fix the holes in our gameplan, it would be to replace Lyons.

Last edited:
Remember he a delisted free agent, If he selects the Crows he only cost us a last pick and Dollars. we don't need to bid for him.

Delisted players become free agents and can join new clubs during any of the three NAB AFL delisted player free agency windows.

Once clubs have delisted a player, they will receive no compensation should that player be signed by a new club.

The key dates for delisted free agents are as follows:

Tuesday November 1 - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (1) begins

Tuesday November 8 - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (1) closes

Thursday November 10 - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (2) begins

Friday November 18 - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (2) closes

Saturday November 26 - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (3) begins

Sunday November 27, 2pm - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (3) closes

Monday November 30, 2pm - Final AFL club list lodgement

Delisted players can also nominate for the NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-06/when-is-the-2016-afl-trade-period

Was listening to triple M on the way to work this morning. The feel I got from listening to Roo talking about him was that we weren't against the idea.
That's the way I read it too:

Not sure why he would be delisted
Playing good footy
Midfielders normally hit their peak at 28
Will be interesting to see what happens

All comments that are prepping the audience for the sales pitch which will follow if we get him.

Remember he a delisted free agent, If he selects the Crows he only cost us a last pick and Dollars. we don't need to bid for him.

Delisted players become free agents and can join new clubs during any of the three NAB AFL delisted player free agency windows.

Once clubs have delisted a player, they will receive no compensation should that player be signed by a new club.

The key dates for delisted free agents are as follows:

Tuesday November 1 - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (1) begins

Tuesday November 8 - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (1) closes

Thursday November 10 - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (2) begins

Friday November 18 - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (2) closes

Saturday November 26 - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (3) begins

Sunday November 27, 2pm - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (3) closes

Monday November 30, 2pm - Final AFL club list lodgement

Delisted players can also nominate for the NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-06/when-is-the-2016-afl-trade-period
If he is selected as a DFA it would prove the rumour that Freo offered a 1 year deal false, as turning down a contract offer prevents you from being DFA.

If Freo had offered a contract, he would need to nominate for a draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just did my 2017 team on the other thread. One noticeable item is that if we want to avoid Thompson, Douglas & Mackay, we are very light on for midfield depth.
I was not convinced before, but having looked at it carefully, I think Barlow for 2 years would be well worth having a crack at. Might provide just enough coverage before our pick 13 starts to come through.

If he is selected as a DFA it would prove the rumour that Freo offered a 1 year deal false, as turning down a contract offer prevents you from being DFA.

I suspect Freo would want to assist him get to a new home of his choice. Even if there were discussions regarding a deal I expect he will simply be treated as delisted and able to move easily.

I think if we go for Barlow it doesn't go against the "organic growth" strategy.

I think it does. Surely we could play one of the many, many young draftees we have and give them experience, and just have everyone else go up one cog in the selection list?

That's the way I read it too:

Not sure why he would be delisted
Playing good footy

They badly need to get games into their young mids. I guess he just doesn't fit their plans.

Really not sure how i feel about picking him up - when Gibbs was still a chance I was a definite no. Not sure if it's just the fact that I feel like we need to do -something- but not as opposed to it as I was.

We do need a good reason apart from just wanting to do something. I guess if Thommo isn't going to be playing every week he could be useful. Would have been keener on him if we hadn't signed Scotty T up. I'm not even sure I can see them in the same team unless we've got Crouch injuries.

I suspect Freo would want to assist him get to a new home of his choice. Even if there were discussions regarding a deal I expect he will simply be treated as delisted and able to move easily.
Possibly, but I'm not sure exactly how that part of it is administered.

It wouldn't be odd if contract offers all were reported to the AFL as a matter of procedure, perhaps something managers do. If that's the case, then Freo wouldn't be able to do anything to help him move. If there was a contract on offer, and the AFL knows about it, he unfortunately wouldn't qualify for DFA.

I think it does. Surely we could play one of the many, many young draftees we have and give them experience, and just have everyone else go up one cog in the selection list?

Probably only with the same amount of injuries as this year, but since we can't bank on that Barlow makes sense. Without Knight's injury I'm not sure Lyons would have got as many games, so if Barlow is replacing Lyons then the hope is he will play SANFL. Everyone goes up one spot anyway with Thompson moving to the bottom of the list.

Quote from - Ben Waterworth, FOX SPORTS
"Both Barlow and Fremantle confirmed on Monday that the ball magnet had been delisted after 126 games across seven years with the club."

Was disappointed to see Lyons go, but Barlow is a arguably better player and has had a better career. He is the victim of Ross Lyon's list re-set. Not so worried about the organic growth comments, as we intended to pick up Gibbs in the trade period anyway. At 28, he should have a few good seasons in him and will come cheaply. Pick up Barlow, a gun at 13 and D Jars Jnr as a F/S and it hasn't been a horrible off season. I agree with some other threads, we need Menzel, Knight, Hampton and Milera to break into our line up this season, with the wildcard in the pack Greenwood, who could be anything.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back