Remove this Banner Ad

DeggLog

Draftee
Feb 1, 2021
AFL Club
West Coast
michael-bisping-wiki-former-ufc-middleweight-champion-781-455.gif

Capture.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where about do we have 'The Count' when it comes to the all time list?
Also, Favourite story / fight about the man

Personally, I think he etched out the same road that Dustin Poirier is on right now. Was always so close and then stumbled on the big fight to get over. Then in what is now known as the Bisping way, He gets a title shot on 2 weeks notice to fight a guy that choked him out with a 1 arm in guillotine. Turns up to the fight after a horrendous weight cut and knocks Rockhold out in the 1st round!
I remember being so happy for him. What a moment, Had his family there to enjoy the moment with!

Is he a Legend? Should he have a spot on the top tier?
Is he a just a gate keeper that got lucky at the right time?

Odd thread, but I'll bite

Bispings career would have been so different had he got the decision against Chael (IMO he won that fight).

He would have been steamrolled by Anderson rather than eventually knocking him off (dubiously)
He likely would never have got a title fight again where he obviously won

The butterfly effect of what if is a weird one with Bisping as I don't think his career ends up better than it actually did in the end. Title, defended in the UK, superfight with GSP. Had he not fought Gastelum at the end I'd say his retirement was almost perfect. Perfection for him would have been GSP win and retire

Not an all-time great, probably not even close but definitely one of the more underrated of all time. Not a bad loss on his record and many good wins (haven't checked but probably be 10-12 top 10 wins there)

His fight with Wanderlei in Sydney was awesome too. Was there live, sensational atmosphere.

Not at all an time great but definitely a personal favourite of mine. Has a great story, but of a larrikin but also seems like a good bloke. Always fun to watch fight and I really enjoy his podcast and commentary. He doesn’t make the list when talking about the greats though

Not an all time great, but one of the all time great mentalities and mindsets.

Favourite story of his is when (can't remember who) dropped out of the rockhold title fight he text Dana and said I'm ******* in.

Next day he sees Dana White on fox sports announcing he's gonna fight for the title before he's even told him haha.
Said he immediately got up and ran 10km or 10 miles because he'd only been doing vanity weights at the time.

That and fighting against the best of the best with one ******* eye. What a lad

Is he a just a gate keeper that got lucky at the right time?
This seems a bit harsh but accurate. Really good all-round skill set and one of the great tanks and mindsets, but I don't think anyone would put him anywhere near the top tier.

He's doing his reputation no harm at all with his media work.

He is before my time of watching the sport. I love his input as a caller. He is fun and is a good change of personality from most of the yanks around him.
He seems to be someone that calls it as he sees it with no bias.

I think I watched a bit of a fight of him and Anderson Silva on youtube on weekend. From the fight I came away with less respect for Silva as he come across a bit of a w***er, even though very talented.

He is before my time of watching the sport. I love his input as a caller. He is fun and is a good change of personality from most of the yanks around him.

I think I watched a bit of a fight of him and Anderson Silva on youtube on weekend. From the fight I came away with less respect for Silva as he come across a bit of a w***er, even though very talented.
I liked him early on, during TUF, then found him harder and harder to like as the years went by, pretty much until after the Anderson fight. But I think it was just that he identified he had a talent for the trash-talk and went with it, knowing stuff like that can be as important as what you do in the octagon, in terms of getting the big money fights.

Anderson Silva is one of the nicest blokes of all time, and arguably the greatest fighter

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anderson Silva is one of the nicest blokes of all time, and arguably the greatest fighter
That was my first impression. Having seen a bit more, I think it is a bit of an act. Comes across like a w***er after third, fourth and fifth impressions. I'm no longer buying the nice guy act he has marketed to portray.

Not an all time great, but one of the all time great mentalities and mindsets.

Favourite story of his is when (can't remember who) dropped out of the rockhold title fight he text Dana and said I'm ******* in.

Next day he sees Dana White on fox sports announcing he's gonna fight for the title before he's even told him haha.
Said he immediately got up and ran 10km or 10 miles because he'd only been doing vanity weights at the time.

That and fighting against the best of the best with one ******* eye. What a lad
This is the best Bisping story ever. Remember hearing him tell this on a podcast and I was like ******* hell dude

In a tale that's straight out of a Guy Ritchie film, Bisping once had his records stolen and went in pursuit of them.

And that's when things get interesting.

"So the club where I DJed was called Monroes and it was basically like Gangster's Paradise," Bisping said.

"When all the other regular nightclubs shut, all the doormen from everywhere all went to this club.

"Basically it was drug dealers, doormen, everything but it had the sickest music. People came from all over the country to hear the DJs. It was one of the original underground rave clubs but it was dodgy as *.

"The s**t that I've seen go down in there, the violence, you wouldn't believe... people getting their arms cut off with samurai swords and all kinds of s**t. I swear to God somebody got their ear bit off.

"I used to do two sets from 2-3 in the morning and then I'd have a break and do it again from 6-7 or some s**t. What I'd do in those hours in between is hang out and talk to people.

"But when I went back to do my second set, my records had been ******* stolen because there were a lot of scumbags in there from Manchester - a lot of gang people.

"I was ******* flipping out because at that moment in time that was like my pride and joy. That was all I had.

"Back then I wasn't known because Monroes was full of such crazy mother*ers, I was just some guy from a small town. Nobody really knew me because I was just the ******* DJ but I knew that I could * everyone up in the club. So they stole my ******* records and I thought 'You've ****ed up here, mother*ers!'

"So I went outside to the car park because I knew they were in the trunk of somebody's car and I went up to every car.

"I said 'Open your trunk now!' so they opened the trunk. Not there. So I went to the next car, because everybody used to go outside and smoke weed.

"I go up to the next car - 'Open the ******* trunk!' Not there. This went on for some time.

"I get to one car and there's two guys sat there. I said 'Yo, open your ******* trunk now!' and they said 'Nah we can't do that.'

"I said 'Open the ******* trunk!'. He said 'Dude, I'm not opening the trunk.'

"I said 'Well now you've really got to open that ******* trunk because I think you've got what I ******* want in there.

"He said 'Dude, I'm not opening the trunk.' I said 'Open the ******* trunk!'

"He said 'OK, I'm going to open the trunk but when you see what's in there you just walk away and shut the * up.'

"I said 'Whatever!' and we go to the back. He opens it up.

"And there's a ******* dude laying in there tied up by his ankles with a gag and he's moaning 'Help me! Help me!'

"I go 'OK, you haven't got my records. See you buddy.'

"He lights his joint and just gets back in the car. That's the type of place it was."

I remember after he told this story he said 'If the guy who was hog tied in the car that night is listening to this, I'm sorry I didn't help you pal but I was out of my league'. Then laughs and said some s**t like 'Although I'm pretty sure that guy has probably never been seen again'

I love Bisping. Him and Chael were really my first introduction to the sport (Chael v Silva 1 might have been the first UFC i watched live).

Bisping v Rivera in Sydney was my first live event and let me tell you, there was real venom between those two, it was na epic build up and Bisping threw an illegal knee in that fight.

Hes a rascal but honestly no one worked harder and no one deserved it more than the Count. Put it this way, if Rockhold had half his heart and dedication hed be the middleweight goat and probably a two division champ. Bisping made up for having no real weapons by just guts and determination.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back