Michael Stone's list of "Most Evil"

Remove this Banner Ad

Michael Stone is a Forensic Psychologist of Columbia University, who developed a scale from 1-22 of "Most Evil", with 1 being people who murder in self defence, and 22 being the God Father of all Evil, being psychopathic sexually motivated serial killers who engage in torture, necrophilia and cannibalism.

http://www.therichest.com/rich-list/most-shocking/22-killers-ranked-on-michael-stones-scale-of-evil/

There's an article of the list of 22 explained, which is complemented by a real life example.

Not surprisingly, I jumped straight to number 22 on the list, which includes a short summary on the evilness of Jeffrey Dahmer.

There are a couple of documentaries on YouTube about Dahmer. I recommend watching them if you get a chance.

A little bit more can be found on this Wikipedia page, but I am guessing most here would be aware of the series "Most Evil".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Most_Evil

I have only watched a few episodes over the years here and there, but I plan to watch every episode in its entirety over the next few months.

Can anyone think of an example in Australia for each of the 22 on Michael Stone's "Most Evil" list?

I'll give it shot, skipping some because they're more garden variety homicides.

Level 1 - Self-Defence: skip
Level 2 - Jealous Lover: skip
Level 3 - Killer's Companion: I'm from WA so Katherine Birnie is the name that immediately springs to mind.
Level 4 - Provoked Self-Defence: tough one, not sure I entirely understand the criteria.
Level 5 - Traumatised Killer: pick a battered wife case, Dr Chamari Liyanage a recent high-profile one from WA. I'd also dispute this one being 'more evil' that the three immediately preceding it as it is essentially self-defence.
Level 6 - Hotheaded Murderer: skip
Level 7 - Narcissistic Killer: I'm guessing there's a distinction between revelling in the notoriety of being a killer and killing specifically for that notoriety, so I can't think of an Australian example. Man Monis, perhaps?
Level 8 - Ignited Rage Murderer: anyone who bashed someone to death during a night out, unfortunately common
Level 9 - Jealous Psychopathic Murderer: the elements of cannibalism (although I don't think she actually ate anything) may push her further up the list, but Katherine Knight.
Level 10 - Egocentric Killer: Gerard Baden-Clay
Level 11 - Psychopathic Egocentric Killer: Sef Gonzalez
Level 12 - Power-Hungry Psycopathic Killer: Pick a gangland boss
Level 13 - Rageful Psychopathic Killer: Julian Knight
Level 14 - Self-Centred Psychopathic Killer: Lot of overlap with Level 11. Following the example of John List, I'd say anyone who killed their family before (attempted) suicide, again unfortunately common
Level 15 - Cold-Blooded Spree Killer: Martin Bryant
Level 16 - Repetitively Violent Psychopathic Killer: Snowtown Killers; Eric Edgar Cooke
Level 17 - Sexually Perverse Serial Murderer: David Birnie; Peter Dupas
Level 18 - Torture Murderers: ???
Level 19 - Terror-Driven Psychopathic Killers: Mr Cruel?
Level 20 - Schizophrenic Torture-Murderer: William MacDonald? Struggling to think of confirmed schizophrenics.
Level 21 - Extreme Torturist: ???
Level 22 - Sexually Motivated Torture-Murderer: Ivan Milat, either here or Level 21.

I don't know everything about Dahmer but in the interviews and programs I've seen he doesn't seem the worst person in the world, in an overall sense. He's intelligent, eloquent and admits his crime. I'd rate Bundy, Milat and even child torturers and murderers like Graham Dillon* as worse people.

* http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-29/graham-dillon-canberra-murder-bradyn/8853018

By the way, the series about this Most Evil ranking is on YouTube.

Level 3 - Killer's Companion: I'm from WA so Katherine Birnie is the name that immediately springs to mind.
Level 4 - Provoked Self-Defence: tough one, not sure I entirely understand the criteria.
Level 5 - Traumatised Killer: pick a battered wife case, Dr Chamari Liyanage a recent high-profile one from WA. I'd also dispute this one being 'more evil' that the three immediately preceding it as it is essentially self-defence.
Level 7 - Narcissistic Killer: I'm guessing there's a distinction between revelling in the notoriety of being a killer and killing specifically for that notoriety, so I can't think of an Australian example. Man Monis, perhaps?
Level 8 - Ignited Rage Murderer: anyone who bashed someone to death during a night out, unfortunately common
Level 9 - Jealous Psychopathic Murderer: the elements of cannibalism (although I don't think she actually ate anything) may push her further up the list, but Katherine Knight.
Level 14 - Self-Centred Psychopathic Killer: Lot of overlap with Level 11. Following the example of John List, I'd say anyone who killed their family before (attempted) suicide, again unfortunately common
Level 16 - Repetitively Violent Psychopathic Killer: Snowtown Killers; Eric Edgar Cooke
Level 20 - Schizophrenic Torture-Murderer: William MacDonald? Struggling to think of confirmed schizophrenics.
Level 22 - Sexually Motivated Torture-Murderer: Ivan Milat, either here or Level 21.
Couple from SA can make the list
3. Jamie Miller , companion to Chris Worrell https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truro_murders
17. Mark Rust https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Errin_Rust He fits a few categories. Wasnt getting the attention he thought he deserved so rang the emergency number 2-3 times to make sure the bodies were found.

A different way to approach it.

Pick a convicted Australian murderer, and match them to one of Stone's categories.

Carl Williams: Level 12, Power-Hungry Psycopathic Killer.
Neddy Smith: Level 12, Power-Hungry Psycopathic Killer.
Both seem to fit this category without much explanation given.

Andrew Garforth: Level 10, Egocentric Killer
Convicted of the abduction, rape and murder of 8-year-old Ebony Smith in Bargo in the early 90s. More of an opportunist abduction of a vulnerable girl, but I think this category suits him because he didn't show any remorse and even joined in the search party, which shows he cares only for himself.

Adrian Bailey: Level 6, Hotheaded Murderer
This category seems to fit him, even though he is more sexually preverse. The category of "Sexually preverse serial killer" isn't applicable because he hasn't been convicted of multiple murders. A more appropriate category that Stone doesn't have on his list would be "Sexually motivated killer".

John Bunting: Level 19, Terror-Driven Psychopathic Killer
This category seems applicable. He used to scare his future victims by giving them a front row seat to killings. He could also fit into Level 21 of "Extreme Torturist", as well as Level 16's "Repetitively Violent Serial Killer".

7. Matthew Johnson (Carl Williams)

I very much doubt schizophrenics have the focus to be torturers.

The schizophrenic killers I have met have all played out deranged roles that led to instantaneous death.

I don't know everything about Dahmer but in the interviews and programs I've seen he doesn't seem the worst person in the world, in an overall sense. He's intelligent, eloquent and admits his crime.

I don't know, to me this makes it worse, as he just goes about his life like any other normal person whilst doing the s**t he was doing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back