List Mgmt. Mid Season Draft 2024 - From 7PM Wed 29th May Live on afl.com.au

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t think depth in a position of need, strengthening the reserves and having the potential to unearth a long term player is a waste of resources.

We are effectively going into the back half of the season one player down if we don’t take the second pick. Add O’Keefe who won’t be available until round 20+, Mirkov, Akuei and Monohan who are so far off it they aren’t even worth mentioning, and any further LTI between now and then.

It’s got to be salary cap related, and I hate to be one of those posters but a lack of cap space is the only acceptable reason for not taking another swing.

Why assume something that is in contrast to what Agresta said?

He clearly stated the reason we are only taking 1 pick is that list spots are too tight. Unless you know what they have been planning and what the salary cap numbers are why not take him at face value?

What this tells me is that they have a number of players who are out of contract who they want to keep but have to remove at least 3 maybe more and they don’t rate the MSD list past 1 position available.

Very hard decisions to be made.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Boyd was a wild guess with a second pick

I think Austin had a good view of Boyd from Footscray so not a wild guess.

Also our list has changed since we took 2 players in the MSD that year, also we have made a commitment already to Duffy and maybe both Campo boys as well. So we have less room to accommodate a hit and hope type.

He clearly stated the reason we are only taking 1 pick is that list spots are too tight. Unless you know what they have been planning and what the salary cap numbers are why not take him at face value?

What this tells me is that they have a number of players who are out of contract who they want to keep but have to remove at least 3 maybe more and they don’t rate the MSD list past 1 position available.

Agree, take it at face value and I do. It might also be saying that there isnt much AFL -level talent out there for selection but he doesn't want to verbalise that as it doesnt come across that great.

Only a handful of players have nominated with 18 month contract terms. The rest can be taken and delisted at the end of the season no question asked. Yes it is harsh but these players are itching for that chance. This doesn’t effect list spots going into next season as has been explained multiple times.

The worst thing that can happen if we take a player, is that they strengthen the reserves (they need it), they provide competition for spots, at the end of the year we say thanks but no thanks and good luck for the future.

Best case scenario, the player works his way into the side this year and changes our mix, we unearth a long term best 22 player who is better than what we have.

Who cares about list spots in round 11? We are going into the back half of the season a man down and our bottom 5 players on the list are terrible. We have around 10 on the injury list, 3 of those out for the season, and another 4-6 who have just returned and are very under done. It is just not logical to pass on the second pick unless we simply can’t fit them into the cap, so that is what I’ll choose to go with. For my own sanity.

Only a handful of players have nominated with 18 month contract terms. The rest can be taken and delisted at the end of the season no question asked. Yes it is harsh but these players are itching for that chance. This doesn’t effect list spots going into next season as has been explained multiple times.

The worst thing that can happen if we take a player, is that they strengthen the reserves (they need it), they provide competition for spots, at the end of the year we say thanks but no thanks and good luck for the future.

Best case scenario, the player works his way into the side this year and changes our mix, we unearth a long term best 22 player who is better than what we have.

Who cares about list spots in round 11? We are going into the back half of the season a man down and our bottom 5 players on the list are terrible. We have around 10 on the injury list, 3 of those out for the season, and another 4-6 who have just returned and are very under done. It is just not logical to pass on the second pick unless we simply can’t fit them into the cap, so that is what I’ll choose to go with. For my own sanity.
You've stayed your position on this multiple times. I understand and even agree with the logic, but they've said we are only taking one.

Why not take it at face value? It's not like it's a second hand rumour. Agresta says it himself in the gettable video.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

You've stayed your position on this multiple times. I understand and even agree with the logic, but they've said we are only taking one.

Why not take it at face value? It's not like it's a second hand rumour. Agresta says it himself in the gettable video.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

It is pretty obvious we are taking one pick. No doubting that.

I am trying to wrap my head around as to why. The only reasonable explanation for me would be lack of cap space/flexibility, anything less and imo we have missed an opportunity to improve the list. Ethical reasons such as not wanting to remove a player from his job or state are not good enough, they are grown men who have nominated and want to play AFL for a club like Carlton.

20 or so players will be drafted on Wednesday, I truely believe there are many more than that out there who could be worthwhile selections, both immediate and long term options. It is up to the recruiter to find those players and that means using every avenue available. It found us Boyd three years ago. Pick 20 in the MSD. Let’s do it again.

Probably my last post on this because I’m taking the thread nowhere.

I can see your point about feeling like it is a free hit, and players have nominated for 6 months so give em a go.

The only thing I can say is that we don’t have all the background discussions to draw a firm conclusion. I think the list management discussions are looking at the whole picture, zooming out over a longer time frame not just what we do at the MSD.

I’m confident the LM team have given it an immense amount of thought and have a very reasoned platform for their decision.

I also choose to believe what Agresta said is true, I don’t think the cost of picking someone up for the “6 months hit and hope” salary cap wise is the limiting factor especially if the rumours of us chasing a free agent are correct.

Chasing FA would suggest SC is ok cos FA’s are not cheap.

Could be a multitude of reasons not to take a 2nd pick.

- if we take a player we want to give them an 18 month contract to get a proper look af them and let them learn our system.

- may not be any players we rate with our 2nd pick

- might not be a tight salary cap this year, but if we are under cap maybe we are trying to bank the $ saved this year to make a play for a free agent in the off season.

- other list management reasons we are not privy to.

Taking a 2nd mid season draft pick is not going to make or break our season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is pretty obvious we are taking one pick. No doubting that.

I am trying to wrap my head around as to why. The only reasonable explanation for me would be lack of cap space/flexibility, anything less and imo we have missed an opportunity to improve the list. Ethical reasons such as not wanting to remove a player from his job or state are not good enough, they are grown men who have nominated and want to play AFL for a club like Carlton.

20 or so players will be drafted on Wednesday, I truely believe there are many more than that out there who could be worthwhile selections, both immediate and long term options. It is up to the recruiter to find those players and that means using every avenue available. It found us Boyd three years ago. Pick 20 in the MSD. Let’s do it again.

Probably my last post on this because I’m taking the thread nowhere.

The other thing to consider is these players aren't necessarily just plug-and-play.

Bring a player in halfway through the season and you need to integrate them with the group, bring them up to speed on gameplan and expectations, give them time to find their place in the side and convince the coach they're worth selecting. Depending on where you pull the player from, you may also need to help facilitate a change of living arrangements or even an interstate move. Good chance you're spending a hundred grand to have a bloke play 6 games before you know you have to cut him anyway.

If we were forecasting more list spots opening up at year's end, then yeah, you probably take a punt on a kid who might show something. If we know we don't have a spot to spare next year then the financial and logistical requirements might simply outweigh the slim chance we find someone who makes a difference to a bottom of the table VFL side this year.

The other thing to consider is these players aren't necessarily just plug-and-play.

Bring a player in halfway through the season and you need to integrate them with the group, bring them up to speed on gameplan and expectations, give them time to find their place in the side and convince the coach they're worth selecting. Depending on where you pull the player from, you may also need to help facilitate a change of living arrangements or even an interstate move. Good chance you're spending a hundred grand to have a bloke play 6 games before you know you have to cut him anyway.

If we were forecasting more list spots opening up at year's end, then yeah, you probably take a punt on a kid who might show something. If we know we don't have a spot to spare next year then the financial and logistical requirements might simply outweigh the slim chance we find someone who makes a difference to a bottom of the table VFL side this year.

List spots are an issue at the end of the year yes, but right now going into the second half of the year we are actually one short.

Then you consider Mirkov, Akeui, Monohan, O’Keefe and Carroll who are so far off AFL football in 2024. It is putting us at a disadvantage.

Even a couple of our own, Ramshaw/White/McMahon, would probably be selected over the above group if available.

Could be a multitude of reasons not to take a 2nd pick.

- if we take a player we want to give them an 18 month contract to get a proper look af them and let them learn our system.

- may not be any players we rate with our 2nd pick

- might not be a tight salary cap this year, but if we are under cap maybe we are trying to bank the $ saved this year to make a play for a free agent in the off season.

- other list management reasons we are not privy to.

Taking a 2nd mid season draft pick is not going to make or break our season.
Do you really mean that a player that we would draft at pick 29 from a pool of players that have either previously had a go and failed or have previously been deemed as not up to it might not be a superstar.

Well I for one am outraged. Outraged I say. 😠

Why how many big slow midfielders does one club need?
All of them, to complete the MCs dream of an a midfield so big and tall we'll just play keepings off, highschool bully style, by keeping the ball above head height and keep chaining it along until its I50.

Do you really mean that a player that we would draft at pick 29 from a pool of players that have either previously had a go and failed or have previously been deemed as not up to it might not be a superstar.

Well I for one am outraged. Outraged I say. 😠

Just like Jordan Boyd wasn’t up to it.

Player 29 is going to be more capable than a gap in our list for 6 months. The seconds are getting belted every week. I just hope McMahon isn’t picked up by someone else because they’ll suffer even more.

List spots are an issue at the end of the year yes, but right now going into the second half of the year we are actually one short.

Then you consider Mirkov, Akeui, Monohan, O’Keefe and Carroll who are so far off AFL football in 2024. It is putting us at a disadvantage.

Even a couple of our own, Ramshaw/White/McMahon, would probably be selected over the above group if available.

List spots aren't an issue now, but they are a consideration. If we know that we don't have an extra spot next year, then we also know that taking a second MSD pick would be selecting a player for the remainder of this year only. If they're not going to be playing AFL, then they're only being picked up for the VFL side. Unlikely they'd get a run this weekend after being recruited on Wednesday, they'd be unlikely to have met or trained with the other guys. Leaves 9 VFL games.

The notion of a "free hit" is only true in the sense of senior list management. It's a mid season draft pick that can only be used on a player now, cannot be traded. But it's not a free hit for the club in the sense that even if we have cap space, it still costs us money. $50k straight up, and if we don't retain them (and we wouldn't, based on the list spot squeeze) and they're not picked up as a DFA, draftee or SSP by another club, we shell out another $20k.

So the question then becomes, is $70k a viable outlay for a bloke to come in and play maybe 9 VFL games. Considering also that the club staff then have to dedicate time and resources to inducting, integrating and coaching a player who is going to be here for, no joke, three months. Our VFL season is done by the end of August.

If we know categorically that we're not keeping the player, it's hard to argue against it being a waste of time and money in the context of the VFL season.

Of those you listed, I think McMahon is the one most likely to get a call up given our lack of KPP depth, and by the sounds of things he might be the one pick we actually take anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back