Portfolio Mk1ne's AFL x Super Netball

Remove this Banner Ad

mk1ne

Cancelled
Nov 17, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Hi all, in this portfolio I've imagined an alternate reality where all eighteen AFL clubs also have teams which compete in the Super Netball.

Football/netball clubs are common at a grassroots level and I thought it would be interesting to see professional football/netball clubs.

As of this post I've completed all eighteen designs (with some bonus content) and will release them gradually over the next few weeks.

I hope you enjoy my netball designs!

DESIGNS
  • Home and clash dress for each club.
  • Home court for each club.
  • Sponsors as per the 2020-21 AFL season.
TEAMS

Last edited:
TUFEEVw.png

I may have started off controversially by making Adelaide's home dress red, copying Adelaide's AFLW team who also wear red at home. I like how some AFLW identities are slightly different from their AFLM equivalents and I've drawn from some of those differences across this portfolio.

KcfnDtr.png

Adelaide's home court is probably the court design I'm the least satisfied with. I've stuck with a navy design because all my attempts at a red design invariably ended up looking like they belonged to Gold Coast, Melbourne or Sydney. It may not strictly match the red home dresses but I think it feels more unambiguously Adelaide.

Last edited:
cjSofWH.png

I may have started off slightly controversially by making Adelaide's home dress red, echoing Adelaide's AFLW team which also wears red at home. I like how the jumper designs of some AFLW teams are slightly different from their AFL equivalents and I've echoed some of those changes in this portfolio. Adelaide's clash dress is yellow. Both dresses have Adelaide tricolour stripes on the sides, navy cuffs and navy bibs.

KcfnDtr.png

Adelaide's home court is probably the court design I'm the least satisfied with. I've stuck with a primarily navy design because all my attempts at a primarily red design invariably ended up looking like they belonged to Gold Coast, Melbourne or Sydney. This court may not strictly match Adelaide's red home dresses but I think it feels more unambiguously Adelaide.
With the court, have you thought about using the basic design of the dress and flipping it sideways? (for the Crows i mean) i.e. side stripeys

With the court, have you thought about using the basic design of the dress and flipping it sideways? (for the Crows i mean) i.e. side stripeys

I thought about it, but decided it was too garish. I've tried to keep my court designs relatively clean and minimal in this portfolio.
After all, spectators should be ideally be focused on the action not distracted by my bold court designs hahah

Last edited:
reTyvNy.png

Nothing too crazy with Brisbane's dresses. I've gone with a yellow clash dress inspired by the clash jumpers worn by the Brisbane Bears in 1987-91 and the Brisbane Lions in 2017-19. Both dresses (and the home court) feature the traditional Fitzroy Lion with the football swapped for a netball.

QULaDyt.png

Last edited:
EA8mVBS.png

Again I may have done something slightly controversial by making Carlton a navy blue/sky blue team, inspired by Carlton's AFLW team who use sky blue as an accent colour. Both Carlton's AFL and AFLW teams have used sky blue clash jumpers in the past. Both dresses (and the home court) feature a custom 'Carlton Netball Club' monogram.

3Tij85k.png

Last edited:
qgRBf2f.png

No surprises with Collingwood's netball dresses (if ain't broke). I've gone with a white 'swooping magpie' design for the clash dress. The simplified swooping magpie logo is not my work; I think it was made by someone on this forum but I was unable to identify the original author.

vdgTNo6.png

aZEcfKT.png

Essendon have a classic football design (red sash) so I went with a classic netball design (contrasting red sides). I tried a sash but it didn't play well with the bib/sponsors and a sash just on the skirt looked perfunctory. A bit plain, but contrasts nicely with the other black teams in the competition. Though I'm a fan of Essendon's grey clash jumpers I went with a red clash dress - it just makes sense, constitution be damned!

XItfWko.png

Last edited:
ZyP3q7D.png

Fremantle's AFLW team have pink accents, so Fremantle's netball team are a purple/pink team. I've used Fremantle's post-2011 chevron pattern on the sides of the dresses. The sponsors here definitely violate a few style guides but it was the only way to avoid putting all of them in boxes.

ML5RYMi.png

hRDw3ip.png

Geelong's dresses use three stripe hoops reminiscent of their 2012-13 clash jumpers. As with the parent club predominantly white for the home dress and predominantly navy for the clash dress. Deakin Uni sponsor's Geelong's AFLW team, Bendigo Bank Geelong's VFL and VFLW teams - thought I'd mix it up to avoid triple-Ford.

BMUM1zi.png

WAAOl5T.png

Anyone who's seen my previous concepts knows my love for a SLSC style checkerboard for Gold Coast. A such both dresses feature a partial checkerboard design on the sides (only partial to avoid looking like high-vis police hahah). I'm in two minds about Gold Coast keeping their blue clash, while I think sticking to red, yellow and white would create a cleaner identity, I like that (unlike most clubs) Gold Coast has a clash that isn't just an inverse of their home jumper.

WDOf6Ey.png

VjBqOtG.png

I've gone with a streamlined charcoal base with orange yoke and 'G' logo for GWS' home dress (GWS AFLW also uses this scheme, which neatly avoids the clash problems of GWS AFL's charcoal front, orange back and white 'G' logo). The clash dress is an inverse of the home.

pUwAYEw.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jSlqL6n.png

Melbourne's home dress is an adaptation of their classic home jumper, while the clash dress resembles the 2015 'red with monogram' clash jumper (an underrated jumper imo). Both dresses (and the home court) feature a custom 'Melbourne Netball Club' monogram.

ZPQIJhN.png

Last edited:
Sk5iT1U.png

I've returned to a white home dress (with black numbers) for North. The clash dress is a predominantly blue take on the classic 'bounding roo' jumper. For the home court I went with 'kangaroos' at the baselines as 'north' was too short and 'north melbourne' was too long.

jfG321R.png

5PxVx9N.png

I've gone with grey sides with a lightning bolt design for Port Adelaide's black home dress, with a grey clash dress with black sides. I originally had the same concept with teal instead of grey but teal is just so garish (imo teal is a dated relic of Port's 90s AFL debut). Port's AFL team has increasingly deemphasised teal (while the SANFL team omits it entirely) so I followed suit.

WKWeZI3.png

Last edited:
HtSsIaq.png

I've gone with black with yellow sides for Richmond's home dress and the inverse for the clash dress. Both dresses feature a sublimated tiger stripe pattern to keep things interesting.

w5TW39v.png

Last edited:
fc02gZP.png

I've gone with black with yellow sides for Richmond's home dress and the inverse for the clash dress. Both dresses feature a sublimated tiger stripe pattern to keep things interesting.

w5TW39v.png
I like it, but modesty might dictate removal of the v shape down the bottom

jt9xHuy.png

I've gone with grey sides with a lightning bolt design for Port Adelaide's black home dress, with a grey clash dress with black sides. I originally had the same concept with teal instead of grey but teal is just so garish (imo teal is a dated relic of Port's 90s AFL debut). Port's AFL team has increasingly deemphasised teal (while the SANFL team omits it entirely) so I followed suit.

jLJwO1f.png
Just remove the teal altogether on the logo i think, because you've essentially made it a redundant design feature. Also teal on grey is not a good combo (the logo on the kit).

Just a general comment, i'm surprised netball doesn't do advertising down the side considering they put numbers there, is there any cash opportunity there?
Edit: it looks like some teams do! If you could get a good sponsor who (pardon the pun) plays ball, you could have a nice addition on the sides

Just a general comment, i'm surprised netball doesn't do advertising down the side considering they put numbers there, is there any cash opportunity there?
Edit: it looks like some teams do! If you could get a good sponsor who (pardon the pun) plays ball, you could have a nice addition on the sides
Most teams do

I like it, but modesty might dictate removal of the v shape down the bottom

I didn't really think it was that yonic, but I've fixed it anyway.

Just remove the teal altogether on the logo i think, because you've essentially made it a redundant design feature. Also teal on grey is not a good combo (the logo on the kit).

I was keeping the teal to preserve the club wide logo, but you're right it clashes pretty bad. I've fixed it.

Yeah, most Super Netball teams (and some international netball teams) have side sponsors. When I was planning this portfolio I decided to cut back on the number of sponsors and to standardise their placement. This was partly lore based as I think netball teams subsidized by the AFL wouldn't need to cover basically every inch of their dresses with sponsor logos to be financially viable. It was also partly practical as it was hard enough finding four unique sponsors with freely-available high-res logos for each team (I wanted to use pre-existing AFL/AFLW/VFL/SANFL/WAFL sponsors rather than pluck them out of thin air).

Side sponsors in particular were ditched because I wanted the space for team designs. At least that was the plan, I ultimately gave only 5/18 teams an actual pattern or design on the sides instead of a block colour.

For reference here's an early Collingwood prototype with Super Netball sponsors/logo placement, including side sponsors. This prototype also has shorts, because I toyed with the idea of making secondary uniforms with shorts in line with recent developments in grassroots Netball.

CTUkrpu.png

Last edited:
jww4gNh.png

St Kilda went through a bunch of different designs before I settled on a black crusader design for the home dress. The clash dress resembles the 2020-21 clash jumper (while I do prefer the white crusader as an alternate for St Kilda AFL, I do think their stripy alternate is underrated).

ktu7fIg.png
I dont want you to alter it and understand your decisions completely. But IMO i think a sponsor like pepper money (flat word mark style) placed inside the cross would look better on the crusader kit, and the stripes to go all the way up the kit on the away, or at least continue both before and after the bib.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back