muscle group training frequency

how often do you train each muscle group per week?

• 1-2

Votes: 1 50.0%

Votes: 1 50.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

if you're paying for PERSONAL training then don't have a pretty big say in what it entails?

If it's PT at his reserves parade, he wouldn't be paying for it, but he'd be getting paid to be there. It's just meant as a supplement to your outside fitness work, to assist you in maintaining the requisite fitness levels for the Army. The PT instructor usually chooses something pretty general that will work a whole range of muscles, with a bit of cardio as well, designed to get maximum benefit from the short space of time they have to work in (usually about an hour).

Well here's my program, if you're interested:

Monday

Chest
  • Bench Press (Barbell)
    - 4 sets, 12 reps per set
  • Incline Press (Barbell)
  • Pullovers (Dumbbell)
Back
  • Chin Ups
    - As many as I can at a time for a total of 50 Reps
  • Bent-Over Rows (Barbell)
  • Deadlifts (Barbell)
    - 3 Sets, 10, 6 and 4 reps per set
Tuesday

Shoulders

• Clean and Press (Barbell)
  • Lateral Raises (Dumbbell)
  • Heavy Upright Rows (Barbell)
    - 3 sets, 10, 6 and 4 reps per set
  • Push Presses (Barbell)
Upper Arms
  • Standing Curls (Barbell)
  • Seated Curls (Dumbbell)
  • Close-Grip Press (Barbell)
  • Standing Triceps Extension (Barbell)
Forearms
  • Wrist Curls (Dumbbell)
  • Reverse Wrist Curls (Dumbbell)
    4 sets, 12 reps per set
Wednesday

Thighs

• Squats (Barbell)
    - 4 sets, 16 reps per set
  • Lunges (Barbell)
  • Leg Curls (Machine)
Calves
  • Standing Calf Raises (Machine)
    - 5 sets, 15 reps per set
Lower Back
  • Straight-Leg Deadlifts (Barbell)
  • Good Mornings (Barbell)
    - 3 sets, 10, 6 and 4 reps
Thursday

Repeat of Monday

Friday

Repeat of Tuesday

Saturday

Repeat of Wednesday

Sunday

Rest

With cardio and ab work, I'm usually in and out of the gym in around two hours. Might not be ideal for everyone, but for me (uni student who works part time), I have the time, so I enjoy spending it at the gym.
the set up is a little odd to me and just because you have time for 2hrs/day it doesn't mean its a good idea...i own my own studio but i'd never even contemplate doing a 2hr training session...imagine the effectiveness of the last exercise?

chest - everything is 12 reps which means you're going to hit a roadblock sooner rather then later because you're not actually getting any stronger...i'd do bench press for sets of 3 - 5 then the others can be done for higer reps...pullovers is a back exercise predominantly

back - deads are a lower body exercise predominantly which is when i do them but even then you're doing them for low reps so should be first forthe day or at least first for back if you wanna do them on that day

shoulders - same as back, push press will use the same wt and trains the high threshold motorunits so ythey should be first in the session and ultra heavy upright rows will kill your shoulders, i wouldn't even do them except with db's with a wide grip

squats - same as bench press, do 2 sets for lower reps and then 1 - 2 for higher ereps you if you wanna stick with them

lower back - you won't need gm's and rdl's - they're the same thing - and your back must be killing you for doing deads tue then both of those wed then again later in the week...straight leg deadlifts = no

Surprised you didn't mention the 96 reps of bicep curls the day after chins Cpt - all done on the same number of reps per set.

the set up is a little odd to me and just because you have time for 2hrs/day it doesn't mean its a good idea...i own my own studio but i'd never even contemplate doing a 2hr training session...imagine the effectiveness of the last exercise?

chest - everything is 12 reps which means you're going to hit a roadblock sooner rather then later because you're not actually getting any stronger...i'd do bench press for sets of 3 - 5 then the others can be done for higer reps...pullovers is a back exercise predominantly

back - deads are a lower body exercise predominantly which is when i do them but even then you're doing them for low reps so should be first forthe day or at least first for back if you wanna do them on that day

shoulders - same as back, push press will use the same wt and trains the high threshold motorunits so ythey should be first in the session and ultra heavy upright rows will kill your shoulders, i wouldn't even do them except with db's with a wide grip

squats - same as bench press, do 2 sets for lower reps and then 1 - 2 for higher ereps you if you wanna stick with them

lower back - you won't need gm's and rdl's - they're the same thing - and your back must be killing you for doing deads tue then both of those wed then again later in the week...straight leg deadlifts = no

Surprised you didn't mention the 96 reps of bicep curls the day after chins Cpt - all done on the same number of reps per set.

fix the important stuff first

I'll consider your advice, but coming from where I was (having never done weights before), I've made great progress so far, in both my appearance and (most importantly to me) actual strength. I suppose everyone does that when they begin, right? I don't find it to be a particularly taxing program either, and always have the strength/energy to complete the workout.

3 for each major. 2-1 for each minor.

Sunday - Lower body - 5x5 (Squat, walking lunge, (deadlift 3x5 normally but it will vary on how I pull up from Saturday session and golf))
Tuesday - Full body - 3x12 (squat variation, bp variation, row variation and then 3 other minor exercises, whatever I feel like doing)
Thursday - Full body - 3x12 (same as above)
Saturday - Upper body - 5x5 (BP, barbell row, overhead press)

Sprints twice a week (one session focused on shorter sprints, the other is more fartlek training). Need to get a consistent routine with sprints though, I do them on random days and still aren't sure where I should place them throughout the week.

Then a quick 15 min job each morning before I go to work at a very easy pace.

Back