Music thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Radio Birdman and the Stems played Bris last Friday... And I couldn't get up there to see it.

This song makes me so sad and reflective... in a good way, I like this performance better than the original for some reason.

This song makes me so sad and reflective... in a good way, I like this performance better than the original for some reason.

If you like that version it's on an album of the same name. If you like Joni it's an album worthy of investment. I have quite a few of her albums & its up there with "Court & Spark" and "Blue", two that I consider her best work.

Some might remember this from Channel 7’s coverage of the Australian Touring Car Championship back in the 1980s.

Have a new song out today - all proceeds are going to Peanuts Wellbeing Sanctuary. They do an incredible job helping kids and animals and are volunteer firefighters to boot. The work they did fighting fires during the recent disaster was amazing.

No sophomore slump for Polaris, Death of Me is quality. Lyrics are intelligent, the loud-soft dynamics are on point and there's some new tricks across the board, serious talent and growth. Despite the "death of rock" it feels like our heavy scene is getting stronger by the year. I'm pretty glad my mid-life crisis involved getting back into music and going to gigs. In fact, the way some of these young bands are able to communicate so frankly about mental health issues in a very direct way without having to be couched in metaphors would have helped me so much when I was still growing and developing for the first 18 or so years of my own battle. They've certainly helped massively over the last four and a half. There's an element of hope in the themes despite the expressions of anger and desperation and pain that I don't feel was there in the music from my formative years through the 90s - a lot of which I still listen to and love.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why isn't Oliver's army one of Elvis Costello's most appreciated songs? It's such a great pop song. Such an influential musician and listening to now and wondering why it's not spoken of when talking about his best? Is it just cause of the people being upset by "white fellow"?

Been throwing on a few YouTube concerts in the background to listen to while WFH. This one stands as probably my favourite: Sigur Rós with the LA Philharmonic.

Loved one of the comments in the feed about Sigur Rós:

Stages of listening to sigur ros:
1- Hey,that sounds like my cat
2-Hey,that's pretty good
3-So this is what people hear when they said God spoke to them

Pretty accurate.

If you have any video concerts/live performances, post them up.

Vale Eddie Van Halen

(Pinched off my own Facebook post)

I got into Van Halen in school via a couple of middle-class metal heads at school. Not true bogans, but fauxgans who had enough of the heraldry and musical taste to shape my musical tastes. I wasn't sure about a lot of the music they bounced off me but around that time 1984 was out and Jump was everywhere. Like I often do, I went down a rabbit hole.
Previous to this my band de jure was Dire Straits, and whatever FM104 through at me. Oz pub rock mostly. I was 14 or 15 at the time. I got a taped copy of 1984 and Van Halen I of these fauxgans and my musical tastes shifted. I loved rock and roll, but this was something else. It was party hard music and a band with a singer with my name who was flamboyant and out there, and this guitarist who was like nothing I had heard before. I plastered my St Laurences Year 11 diary with pictures of these spandex-clad long-haired dudes which got weird looks from students and teachers alike. Well except the fauxgans.
I soon owned copies of all of the 6 albums on tape and they rocked 1986 for me. I rode along on David Lee Roth's initial solo output and loved the whacky videos, and was skeptical when Roth was kicked from the band and Sammy Hagar joined. Of course, I bought 5150 and OU812 and they were OK as Eddie explored a lot more of a synth sound, but those first 6 albums were like gold to me.
Except I started to find other new music, as you do starting with The Cure and the Hoodoo Gurus in 1987 and VH slipped into the background. By the time I was out of school and had discovered punk and the Stones they were embarrassing. The tapes mouldered and tapes did and got little play.
I back catalogued a couple of albums on 2nd hand vinyl in the naughties. Tortured bemused friends with a side of Women and Children First or Fair Warning (their two best IMO), but never revisited them hard until recently on streaming and Youtube. In fact I have been hitting old VH concerts (Lee Roth Era, of course, the Hagar stuff has not aged well) and just loving it. I had no idea Eddie was sick.
Thanks for the memories Eddie. You laid a foundation for my love of hard rock and brilliant riffs. No-one was like you at the time.
Happy Trails.

I love Alice in Chains and this might be my favorite thing this whole year has produced. Really makes me want to visit MoPOP in Seattle when international travel is open again. The lineup of people paying tribute to the band is absolutely stacked.

Doing a lockdown livestream set on Instagram to raise money for Listen Up Music - tune in if you're stuck at home like me!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back