Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Herlings won his 1st MXGP title winning 31 of the 38 races

With factory backing of KTM he dominated the flagship class with daylight to his nearest rival Antoni Cairoli - his team mate.

Herlings finished on 933 points

Cairoli on 782

Desalle on 685.

Cairoli is now 33 and at top level motocross it's a hard game to stay at the top for the 9 time world champ.

If I were a betting man I'd be backing Desalle for a podium in the standings rather than back an almost unbackable Herlings for the title.

Discuss!

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans
Pretty impossible to believe anyone will beat Herlings to the title but as a team green fan I'd love to see DeSalle do it.

It's a shame there are no Australians to follow in MXGP this year with Hunter Lawrence moving to the US and Todd Waters returning to Australia.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Pretty impossible to believe anyone will beat Herlings to the title but as a team green fan I'd love to see DeSalle do it.

It's a shame there are no Australians to follow in MXGP this year with Hunter Lawrence moving to the US and Todd Waters returning to Australia.

Sorry for the late reply, thought it had no interest.

Herlings is like that Everts bloke hey, just knows how to keep 10 tenths up ...................... Look at Patagonia last year.

Cairoli (who is obviously no slouch himself) was 9 seconds up with 9 laps to go..................... game over you'd think, but oh no Herlings reels him in and STILL wins it.

Does this guy have some sort of mind control over the rest of the field or something? I mean you see him pass guy's like DeSalle, Fabvre, Van De Horebeek and Gajser like they're standing still.

Like Leisky would pass you or I, not even Everts looked that dominant as Herlings last year.

If he does not get up soon enough from his ankle we could be all wrong though.

https://racerxonline.com/2019/02/26/jeffrey-herlings-out-for-2019-mxgp-opener

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Oh boy, Stefan Everts is MX royalty! One of the few blokes in the conversation with Ricky Carmichael for greatest of all time (for those who believe in such a thing). Herlings had a long way to go but he's young enough to join the conversation.

Yeah, Herlings starting injured is not ideal but he won easily last year despite a busted collarbone so he won't be panicking. Injuries have really been the bane of his career so far. Lost at least one title because of it (MX2 to Jordy Tixier).

Speaking of injuries, Australia does actually have a runner on the world stage in Jed Beaton who is teaching MX2. He missed the first round with vertebrae fractures.

And in other Australian related injury news, Dean Ferris is filling in for the injured Romain Febvre. It's a big opportunity because he gets to race at least three rounds on a factory Yamaha - a bike he will be reasonably familiar with after winning the last few Aus titles on a YZ450F.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Oh boy, Stefan Everts is MX royalty! One of the few blokes in the conversation with Ricky Carmichael for greatest of all time (for those who believe in such a thing). Herlings had a long way to go but he's young enough to join the conversation.

Yeah, Herlings starting injured is not ideal but he won easily last year despite a busted collarbone so he won't be panicking. Injuries have really been the bane of his career so far. Lost at least one title because of it (MX2 to Jordy Tixier).

Speaking of injuries, Australia does actually have a runner on the world stage in Jed Beaton who is teaching MX2. He missed the first round with vertebrae fractures.

And in other Australian related injury news, Dean Ferris is filling in for the injured Romain Febvre. It's a big opportunity because he gets to race at least three rounds on a factory Yamaha - a bike he will be reasonably familiar with after winning the last few Aus titles on a YZ450F.

Yeah Stefan is a demi god isn't he, but when I watched him and I maybe wrong in my opinion he didn't look as dominant as Herlings does against the opposition - even Cairoli in that 1st round last year 9 seconds up 9 laps to go, when Herlings caught him it was like I could read his mind "here comes Jeff oh well 2nd ain't so bad"

Now I'm more than certain no one in those GP's just give in when they the flying dutchman is on his ass - of course they're racing for sheep stations but it just has that look that no one can deny him.

As far as Deano goes I'm not sure he's as good as Romain and Van Horebeek will be licking his lips, if he makes top 10 finishes that'd be a win for him. Top 5? Possible but I'm not expecting so.

That's not a smear on Deano it's just the talent in the field is littered with elite.

Desalle, Paulin, Tony, Gasjer, Van Horebeek (anyone else I missed?) - if Jeffrey wasn't there these guy's would be in a tight title fight for mine........ very tight.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Update;

After the French round Timmy Gajser went 1-1 to close within 10 points of the leader Cairoli............ Are we seeing the re emergence of Gajser?

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Hopin to keep you in the convo Klyntonius

I'm still here!

No Herlings this year through injury unfortunately. Again. Finally coming back through the Dutch championship this weekend.

Good to see someone, especially a young bloke, taking it up to Cairoli (also, can it be called a re-emergence for a 22 year old?!). Hope he gets up. Herlings vs Gajser is a very bright future.

In the MX2 class, young Aussie Mitchell Evans is doing great things, currently sitting 5th in the title in his debut season on a private Honda. Jed Beaton currently sits 14th in a season of strong finishes mixed with injury.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
I'm still here!

No Herlings this year through injury unfortunately. Again. Finally coming back through the Dutch championship this weekend.

Good to see someone, especially a young bloke, taking it up to Cairoli (also, can it be called a re-emergence for a 22 year old?!). Hope he gets up. Herlings vs Gajser is a very bright future.

In the MX2 class, young Aussie Mitchell Evans is doing great things, currently sitting 5th in the title in his debut season on a private Honda. Jed Beaton currently sits 14th in a season of strong finishes mixed with injury.

Yeah I noticed Evans progress, bright future! Boy those interviews in mx2 ......... some of those kids look 12 yo! and so fast! and so fit to keep that pace for 35 + mins!

As far as MX1 Gajser is taking his chance and it seems the everlast Cairoli is not going to last forever, Gajser may pounce to add another crown to his cabinet and good to see Honda (used to race cr's when I was a kid) sticking phat with and why wouldn't they.

Herlings biding his time in the pit straight garage................. knowing confidently once he comes back he feels he'll dominate. Not this year but more crowns to come for the flying dutchman.

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Aaaand Herlings is injured again. Bust his ankle in a small pre-race tumble.

In some Aussie news, Hunter Lawrence had his first race win in AMA Motocross.

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Gajser continues on his merry way with yet another round win and now a 130 point lead.

Mitchell Evans had a bit of a 'mare with a 19th place overall but still sits 7th in the MX2 title. Jed Beaton had a good weekend with a 5th place overall to move into 10th in the championship.

Dean Ferris was sitting in 8th in the AMA MX series only to bizarrely split with his team in a "mutual" decision. Seems he'll return back to Australia.

Hunter Lawrence grabbed a top 5 finish on the weekend and is running 6th in the AMA MX2 title.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Gajser continues on his merry way with yet another round win and now a 130 point lead.

Mitchell Evans had a bit of a 'mare with a 19th place overall but still sits 7th in the MX2 title. Jed Beaton had a good weekend with a 5th place overall to move into 10th in the championship.

Dean Ferris was sitting in 8th in the AMA MX series only to bizarrely split with his team in a "mutual" decision. Seems he'll return back to Australia.

Hunter Lawrence grabbed a top 5 finish on the weekend and is running 6th in the AMA MX2 title.

Yeah looks like Gajser is going to bookend with a title with Cairoli and Herlings in the middle. So as far as the thread title goes I think the answer is upon us......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dennisdenuto

Draftee
Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Just signed up on here mostly for the footy talk, but happy to stumble upon a thread discussing motocross!

Gajser’s running away with it at the moment and riding bloody well I must say, but despite having the durability of Gumby, there’s always the chance he hits the deck again and actually does do some damage, which would throw the championship wide open!

Good to see Beaton starting to get some decent results in MX2, and will only get better the more time he spends on the husky. Hopefully Evans isn’t out for too long and we’re back to 2 aussies to support.

Any of you guys bought the MXGPtv package or just watching the highlights of YouTube each week?

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Just signed up on here mostly for the footy talk, but happy to stumble upon a thread discussing motocross!

Gajser’s running away with it at the moment and riding bloody well I must say, but despite having the durability of Gumby, there’s always the chance he hits the deck again and actually does do some damage, which would throw the championship wide open!

Good to see Beaton starting to get some decent results in MX2, and will only get better the more time he spends on the husky. Hopefully Evans isn’t out for too long and we’re back to 2 aussies to support.

Any of you guys bought the MXGPtv package or just watching the highlights of YouTube each week?

Welcome aboard!

I mostly just get to follow the results but from time-to-time I get to watch MXGP on Foxtel.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club

Hey Dennis,

Good to see another braper on BF!

I have actually signed up to mxgp tv but haven't used it yet because the times are usually in the wee hours of the morning. Luckily it's pay per view so will have to invest sooner rather than later.

And now we know Gasjer has wrapped up the title! Oddly enough on the same meet as Coldenhoff went 1 - 1 (think KTM are desperate for some dominance)

Back