My fears of making the Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

I recently downloaded mahjong onto my phone to occupy myself on the train ride into the office, after a couple of days I deleted it, every game was a winner you literally couldn’t loose, and it made the game incredibly boring.

It’s the risk of losing that makes winning worthwhile, the fact that flags are so hard to win is what makes them special.

If we win today this week is going to be tough for me.

My three brothers, me and my long suffering Mum are all passionate Pies supporters. My Dad is a Richmond supporter. He has worked out these Machiavellian mind games over the years. He lurks in his shed/man cave knowing we are agonising over the Pies and comes out at inopportune times to make comments that are intended to sound sensitive and supportive but we all know he is taking the piss. We know he hates Collingwood and we hate his team with a deep, bitter resolve going back to 1980.

Add to this my 12 year old son - another sensitive, devoted Pie fan has to deal with a chorus of little ‘Nelson Muntzes’ at school who tell him every year how awesome Richmond are, how they are going to love it when Collingwood chokes in another Grand Final. When he was a young boy I once carried him balling his eyes out from a game we lost in the closing seconds to Richmond as their ‘army’ carried on like it was VE Day in that overblown, feral cacophony that is peculiar only to them.

And next weekend my ex-wife has given me custody of my kids so if we make it I will have to manage them somewhere in Melbourne or Ballarat while all this is going on.

Last year my son saw me cry for the first time after we lost to the Eagles. I think I’m still suffering some kind of football-related PTSD.

But despite all this, I love this Club and its supporters. I’m so glad I chose to follow Collingwood, not Richmond. And if we get up today and by some miracle next week I will thank God, Buddha, Allah and the Force and probably be able to start watching football like a normal person again.

I’ll pray for us all :)

Last edited:
Looking forward to the game today, but bloody nervous at the same time.

I don’t want to be heartbroken like last year again, in fact I cried for the first time in a while when we lost to the Eagles. Hate Richmond with a passion, along with many other teams too.

Come on boys.

If we win today this week is going to be tough for me.

My three brothers, me and my long suffering Mum are all passionate Pies supporters. My Dad is a Richmond supporter. He has worked out these Machiavellian mind games over the years. He lurks in his shed/man cave knowing we are agonising over the Pies and comes out at inopportune times to make comments that are intended to sound sensitive and supportive but we all know he is taking the piss. We know he hates Collingwood and we hate his team with a deep, bitter resolve going back to 1980.

Add to this my 12 year old son - another sensitive, devoted Pie fan has to deal with a chorus of little ‘Nelson Muntzes’ at school who tell him every year how awesome Richmond are, how they are going to love it when Collingwood chokes in another Grand Final. When he was a young boy I once carried him balling his eyes out from a game we lost in the closing seconds to Richmond as their ‘army’ carried on like it was VE Day in that overblown, feral cacophony that is peculiar only to them.

And next weekend my ex-wife has given me custody of my kids so I will have to manage them somewhere in Melbourne or Ballarat while all this is going on.

Last year my son saw me cry for the first time after we lost to the Eagles. I think I’m still suffering some kind of football-related PTSD.

But despite all this, I love this Club and its supporters. I’m so glad I chose to follow Collingwood, not Richmond. And if we get up today and by some miracle next week I will thank God, Buddha, Allah and the Force and probably be able to start watching football like a normal person again.

I’ll pray for us all :)
Hope we win today and especially next week so we can shut those haters up. I only know two humble Richmond supporters, my two mates.

I understand the fears of some because of our GF history, but if we're going to be a successful club that wins flags we need to confront that fear and go for it. I'd rather us die trying than wonder what if.

The way we lost last year was devastating, but the journey and excitement to make the GF was fantastic and something that I loved experiencing.

Collingwood is made of tough stuff. We've lost grand finals through multiple back to back years and our support for the club has never wavered and if anything has strengthened which has always been the envy of opposition supporters. Opposition supporters would have cracked it and caved in years ago if they had the GF record we've had.

The focus is on beating the Giants first and foremost. Do that, and we have a chance to win our greatest premiership ever and avenge 1980!

Yes, we were $1.69 favourites in that game.

That is insane, I don't think West Coast had lost a game all year where Kennedy and Darling played and it couldn't have been the MCG factor given they'd beaten us there already in 2018!

Next week it should be Richmond at about $1.10 favourites

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You’d think at some point in time things would go our way. I thought it might be this year, GWS missing a bunch of players, us getting a few players back. Appears not

I recently downloaded mahjong onto my phone to occupy myself on the train ride into the office, after a couple of days I deleted it, every game was a winner you literally couldn’t loose, and it made the game incredibly boring.

It’s the risk of losing that makes winning worthwhile, the fact that flags are so hard to win is what makes them special.
I'm sure the Hawks still consider their flags precious despite the fact they won so many of them easily and with great regularity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back