My fears of making the Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

An underrated fact for all those bagging us oldies for being scared is that when they showed the Grand final marathons overnight we had to sit through 1966 1970 1977 both, 1979 80 and 81 over and over and over. They even found footage of 64 to torture us some more. There was no other TV then so we were stuck watching it, like a train wreck. There was some footage of 58 but that was it. We were stuck watching 7 different grand finals where we lost.
I have the last quarters of 66 70 and the drawn 77 grand final embedded in my head play by play. its a nightmare.

Until you find out Mike Sheahan has done open mike with Dane Swan to be released in grand final week... Que the questions of the succession plan and bucks etc. and all the articles stemming from that

I hate Mike Sheahan

Previous posts seem to be forgetting 1960 for some reason.
Anyhoo, i am deeply scarred as well. I know we are better off than Melbourne and Stkilda supporters, but geez i would have enjoyed the game a lot more if the pies had even won 1 of the late 70s grand finals.
Shows the importance of Tony Shaw and Nick Maxwell achieved. Forever icons of Collingwood, hopefully to be joined by another as soon as possible.

I started watching the Pies at aged 5 in 1974 so lived the nightmare of almost winning until 1990, the stress of the draw and the joy of the smother of the century in 2010. The succession plan loss in 2011 and the pain and heartbreak of 2018 have all led me to a fear of further heartbreak this year.

Having said that, I really believe this group is special. The way they handled he loss, the kintsugi focus on being broken and becoming a better and more beautiful version of yourself, focussing on strengths and celebrating flaws and we keep hearing “playing role” over and over.

I have started to believe that if they get there they will win it regardless of who they play.

First stop GWS. Could you get a bigger contrast? Leon Cameron seems to be resorting to dirty aggression for team cohesion with Toby Greene lauded as their spiritual leader (their words not mine). Could you be more upstanding than Pendles?

Something is happening at our club.
As much as it scares me, I will risk heartbreak again as any chance of winning is worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

There's nothing to fear.. it's a celebration of who we are and that re.

I've put in a request to the council to dj on the night of the GF at Victoria Park.. and I'm doing it for tsaba.

Would love everyone to show up.. so when I'm up there on the podium.. and I say.. 'DJ Gimpos in da *en hooooooouseeee'. I want everyone to rise in unison and go f nuts re..

I think I have one too many scars. I actually feel sick at the thought of making the grand final. Yet I understand that the only way we can achieve the ultimate dream is to walk through the furnace and hope the gods are kind. I actually told my son I don't think I can attend or watch the granny if we do make it. I think our opponent will either be Richmond or the Eagles. I don't think the Cats will get through. The very thought of losing another grand final to either of these teams makes me feel ill. My other fear is that another GF loss will break the heart and spirit of Bucks and the players making our hopes of premiership success even more unlikely in the coming years.

I suppose it's the dilemma any person who has experienced heartbreak in a relationship feels when they finally emerge from their grief and battered self esteem and meet someone they like. Do they pursue the new relationship and hope this one brings true happiness and love or is the risk of further heartbreak and pain too much to contemplate. Is it better not to reach out for the dream and simply become accustomed to living a quiet, less passionate existence but one that is free of the agony we experience when we lose something so precious?

No doubt, if we do make it, I will probably try to get tickets and endure yet another torturous afternoon because there is always that very slight (but highly unlikely) chance we could have a miraculous win which would provide me with memories I will carry to my grave. If only I could live in the moment and simply enjoy the fact that we are in with a chance and our hopes are still alive.

Oh well, time will tell.

I have no doubt that we all feel the same way. Probably the players as well. Last year when the eagles were coming back there was a nervous tension at the ground as if we all expected to lose. We are just not a club that feels self entitled to take what is rightfully ours like Hawks so we keep losing gf. Need to get that monkey off our backs!

Not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere, but the underdog has won 5 of the last 7 Grand Finals.

Also, we were $3 to beat Richmond in the Prelim last year.

If we win on Saturday, we are in it up to our eyeballs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

try 64, 66, 70 - 3 in 7 years
try 77, 79, 80, 81 - 4 in 5 years

Hello there
From a positive perspective, you've seen more Preliminary/Semi final victories than other supporters can only dream of. Those wins are golden. I wouldn't trade in last year's Prelim win in order to avoid the grannie loss.

My first football memory is Twiggy Dunne kicking a goal to draw in 1977.

I've seen us lose a bunch of Grand Finals. So what? Following the Pies is the most fun ride in football. Everyone has an opinion about the Pies.
The longest time between a Grand Final appearance in my life (and the club's history) is 12 years. No other club comes close to that.
Winning a flag is awesome. Losing a grand final sucks but still means it has been a fun year.
Hawthorn fans, for all their flags in the last 50 years are miserable insecure flogs. Pies fans are better than any other clubs fans because we are more resilient than Macho Man Randy Savage.

We should make another Grand Final this week, it is what we do. If we lose, we know how to handle it. If we win, it is he greatest show in the land.

I've seen us lose a bunch of Grand Finals. So what? Following the Pies is the most fun ride in football. Everyone has an opinion about the Pies.
The longest time between a Grand Final appearance in my life (and the club's history) is 12 years. No other club comes close to that.
Winning a flag is awesome. Losing a grand final sucks but still means it has been a fun year.
Hawthorn fans, for all their flags in the last 50 years are miserable insecure flogs. Pies fans are better than any other clubs fans because we are more resilient than Macho Man Randy Savage.

We should make another Grand Final this week, it is what we do. If we lose, we know how to handle it. If we win, it is he greatest show in the land.

Beautifully said. A grand final loss is disappointing, but it's the end of a great ride with approx 15 home and away wins plus a couple of finals wins.

Despite the ultimate disappointment, I can't remember a season being a better ride than last year - not even the two flags I've seen.

Not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere, but the underdog has won 5 of the last 7 Grand Finals.

Also, we were $3 to beat Richmond in the Prelim last year.

If we win on Saturday, we are in it up to our eyeballs.

It depends, is that counting West Coast as an underdog? Because they were clearly the better team last year but I have a strange feeling we were favourites?

Getting the Macho King into a discussion about Collingwood grand finals, i like it.
The pies are currently having a good run into the gf compared to most other years. You need things to go right for you, especially if you're us!
Maybe it is our turn again :)

It depends, is that counting West Coast as an underdog? Because they were clearly the better team last year but I have a strange feeling we were favourites?
Yes, we were $1.69 favourites in that game.

If we make it I’m selling ticket. Can’t take another potential heartbreak in person.
If we make it, I'm celebrating hard tomorrow night and looking forward to a week of excitement leading up to a massive adrenaline hit. Go Pies.

That’s the spirit sr36. It’s better to have loved...

And great to have you back with us at the pointy end. Missed your General-like leadership off the half back flank.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back